cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTG USB storage and the Oculus Quest

luapalukes
Explorer

Anyone able to get usb storage working on the Quest in Gallery?

I'm looking here on the support docs:

https://support.oculus.com/855551644803876/

How do I access files from a USB storage device on my Oculus Quest?

Select USB Storage and follow the onscreen instructions.To connect and access a USB storage device on your Oculus Quest, you will need a USB-C to USB OTG cable:

1. Plug your OTG USB cable into your Quest.
  2. Plug your USB storage device into the other end of the OTG cable.
    • Your USB device must be OTG compatible and formatted using FAT32 file system.
  3. Turn on your Oculus Quest and put on your headset.
  4. From Oculus Home, select Library > Apps > Oculus Gallery.
  5. From Oculus Gallery, select Connect Media.
  6. Select USB Storage and follow the onscreen instructions.
I'm not seeing any USB Storage option under Connect Media. Perhaps there is only certain OTG cables that are supported or they have not yet implemented this like the Go? Drive seems to be working when I plug it into a USB-C port on my MacBook.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

atkinsonline
Expert Protege
Hi.  I just tried this and I get the same as you.  I suspect it is not currently working in the Quest or possibly not working in the Gallery app.
When I plug my USB stick in, the Quest definitely recognises it.  To begin with, my drive was not formatted for fat32 and it gave me the option to format the drive.  It said it failed so I then formatted it to fat32 on a PC.  The Quest then makes the sounds that it is accessing the drive but like you, I see no USB connection in the Gallery app.

luapalukes
Explorer
SO strange that it's included in the help docs. Hopefully it's coming in an update soon.

the_real_vr_gar
Honored Guest
I tried using Nekteck USB Type C OTG Micro SD Card Reader and Quest didn't recognize it neither.  This works fine on my Android phone

traveltr0users
Explorer
Yeah, it works, you can see the files in Total Commander and other file managers, you can even copy files over... but it remains hidden to the oculus app layer.... 😞

GM_DAVE
Explorer
All my USB storage devices that I want are connected to my network and I see them all. Mainly with SKYBOX. If you use this method make sure your on the same network .

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone confirm this will be supported?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not supported yet in the Go as well. But to work around...you can stream from PC to the Quest using SkyboxVR, or Bigscreen. I'm making a portable wireless NAS server for my Quest, using a Raspberry Pi and a 4TB WD My Passport drive. Once set up, the Quest can connect to the PI directly, without the need for a modem. After that, just share the drive, and video players such as SkyboxVR should be able to see them and add them to it's library.

Spuzzum said:

It's not supported yet in the Go as well. But to work around...you can stream from PC to the Quest using SkyboxVR, or Bigscreen. I'm making a portable wireless NAS server for my Quest, using a Raspberry Pi and a 4TB WD My Passport drive. Once set up, the Quest can connect to the PI directly, without the need for a modem. After that, just share the drive, and video players such as SkyboxVR should be able to see them and add them to it's library.

That's a good idea, let us know how it works when you've got it going (and the price of parts!)

I'm interested in this Ravpower Filehub AC750

w9hlhijeyxkj.jpg

It looks like it'll do the same thing as it's a wireless DLNA server but presumably as it's also a powerbank, could be used to charge the Quest too when you're out and about, although it looks like it has a micro-USB rather than C so you'd need a separate cable, also a backup device for your laptop etc.

It's not cheap though at about £60 plus the price of whatever SD card or portable HDD you're using.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll post it up when I'm done. I still need to get a few more parts...like an hdmi to dvi-d adapter for the monitor I'll be using for it.