cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTG USB storage and the Oculus Quest

luapalukes
Explorer

Anyone able to get usb storage working on the Quest in Gallery?

I'm looking here on the support docs:

https://support.oculus.com/855551644803876/

How do I access files from a USB storage device on my Oculus Quest?

Select USB Storage and follow the onscreen instructions.To connect and access a USB storage device on your Oculus Quest, you will need a USB-C to USB OTG cable:

1. Plug your OTG USB cable into your Quest.
  2. Plug your USB storage device into the other end of the OTG cable.
    • Your USB device must be OTG compatible and formatted using FAT32 file system.
  3. Turn on your Oculus Quest and put on your headset.
  4. From Oculus Home, select Library > Apps > Oculus Gallery.
  5. From Oculus Gallery, select Connect Media.
  6. Select USB Storage and follow the onscreen instructions.
I'm not seeing any USB Storage option under Connect Media. Perhaps there is only certain OTG cables that are supported or they have not yet implemented this like the Go? Drive seems to be working when I plug it into a USB-C port on my MacBook.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

luapalukes
Explorer
I record 5K VR180 on a Vuze XR. Streaming does seem like a viable option for these. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like the idea of the Pi, not only for a server, but the fact you can install mkchromecast, then make it act as a Chromecast device, then just connect an HDMI cable from the Pi to a TV...stream the Quest's game play to the TV through the Pi. Not every TV has built-in ability to receive the signal, so connecting through HDMI is only choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...it's working. Created a 5G hotspot using the onboard wifi chip, and have better 5G connection than with my modem. No more random disconnects. Shared the drive, and Skybox sees all the videos. I then realised I can create a remote desktop scenario using VNC...both on my phone, and in the Quest itself. Linux users can also connect through VNC. Only issue...if the Pi's desktop is 1920x1080, I need to grab and drag the desktop, as the phone and Quest don't shrink the image to fit the screen. 1280x720 works fine. I then came across videos on youtube saying you can stream 1080p to Twitch through the Pi. I might play with that later. At the very least, I might be able to record gameplay through the Pi...that way it doesn't tax the Quest's processor so much while you're also trying to game. Things are still in pieces at the moment...I'll post it up once I've finished boxing it up.

edit: You can also control the Pi using a tablet...as long as it's 802.11a compatible. I'm now trying to see how to stream to desktop/tablet.

edit2: forgot to mention...I'm getting ~66Mbps download speed in the headset while connected to the Pi's 5G hotspot. That's with online speed tests though...not sure what the straight headset to Pi's connection speed is yet. I sideloaded an Android speed test app, but I haven't tried it yet. I also found channel 40 to be the best speed at 5G...at least for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Crap. They said they weren't going to make a Raspberry Pi 4 anytime soon, so what do I see today? Raspberry Pi 4B was just released...without any warning whatsoever. 1.5GHz, and up to 4GBs LPDDR4 RAM. It also has 2 HDMI ports...capable of 4K, and both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The RPi3B+ is only 1.4GHz, with 1GB LPDDR2 RAM, and only USB 2.0. It also only does 1080p. I guess it's time to upgrade already. 😛

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Yeah, I was looking at that yesterday. I don't have a project in mind but am really tempted to get one and then decide what to do with it!! Impressive little thing.

JohnnySeriuss
Honored Guest
So far no support for any external storage on the Oculus Quest Bummer....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

It's not supported yet in the Go as well. But to work around...you can stream from PC to the Quest using SkyboxVR, or Bigscreen. I'm making a portable wireless NAS server for my Quest, using a Raspberry Pi and a 4TB WD My Passport drive. Once set up, the Quest can connect to the PI directly, without the need for a modem. After that, just share the drive, and video players such as SkyboxVR should be able to see them and add them to it's library.

That's a good idea, let us know how it works when you've got it going (and the price of parts!)

I'm interested in this Ravpower Filehub AC750

w9hlhijeyxkj.jpg

It looks like it'll do the same thing as it's a wireless DLNA server but presumably as it's also a powerbank, could be used to charge the Quest too when you're out and about, although it looks like it has a micro-USB rather than C so you'd need a separate cable, also a backup device for your laptop etc.

It's not cheap though at about £60 plus the price of whatever SD card or portable HDD you're using.

Thanks, I've ordered the same ravpower Filehub and its great especially for dlna. I haven't tried it on the quest yet. Does it work in skybox vr dlna? And bigscreen?

Hey @VRBabe14 I've still got it in my basket and hovering over the buy button! It should definitely work for Skybox. I haven't used Bigscreen much yet so not sure if that app is geared solely towards streaming from a PC with that app installed or whether it also has dlna support.

Someone else will no doubt be able to say. So far I've only been using Skybox and the included Gallery app from my NAS's server. I'll need the Ravpower for when I go on holiday though... not until next Feb unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@DaftnDirect - You should buy it because its great as a 5ghz wifi server and WiFi travel router.