cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Air Link coming in v28!!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

According to today's Oculus Blog post, v28 will include Oculus Air Link, which allows Quest 2 users to stream PCVR games over WiFi. It sounds like it will only be for Quest 2 headsets initially--it's unclear whether this feature will eventually release for Quest 1 as well.

It's basically Link without the cable. I look forward to testing it and seeing how it compares to the PCVR streaming feature included in Virtual Desktop.

V28 will start rolling out this week, and will also include 120 Hz support and some new Infinite Office features.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
15 REPLIES 15

Gotmilkman
Explorer

So regarding the 120Hz update, will we be able to turn on 120Hz like we could do with the 90Hz? Or is this app specific for quest2 games?

I do a lot of Sim Racing and use my quest2 via link. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Link won’t support 120 Hz initially, but is intended to be added later. Currently 120 Hz will only work in a handful of games that support it (Eleven Table Tennis, Cubism, and Racket Fury).

nalex66
MVP
MVP

So, I finally got to try Air Link. I had to jump through a few hoops to get it working; on the Quest 2, I had to reset all experimental features to get the Air Link option to show up. On the PC, I had to log out and back into my account to get the Air Link button to appear in Settings/Beta. I also had to set my encoding bitrate back to default in the Oculus Debug Tool and I lowered my Link resolution a bit (from 2096 to 1875 vertical resolution).

Anyway, once I connected, it was just like Link. No noticeable loss of quality or feeling of extra latency. It worked really well. I played some Alyx and some Fallout4VR, and puttered around in my Oculus Home. It truly feels like native PCVR. This is really a killer feature!

Thanks for the update @nalex66 .  After following your tip I got my PC Oculus app settings/beta to give me the Air Link option (which also said it would turn off if not used for over 24hrs).  But, of course my Q1 does not have this experimental option, even after resetting experimental's to defaults and restarting.  No big surprise, I guess it was just wishful thinking that Oculus may have changed their mind and decided to bless us poor old Q1 users (mine is after all 11 months old now, lol!). 

Anyway, I guess I'll just need to keep using wireless w/Virtual Desktop for now.  Too bad because thanks to the latest Link v28 improvements Link is working and looking a bit better than VD in most apps right now, at least for me anyway.  Thanks again for your Air Link update mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I think some people managed to get it working on Quest 1 by side-loading the Q2 update or something... if you look on Reddit you can probably find instructions, if you’re interested.

Ya, thanks @nalex66 .  I had a look at this hack and put it in the to-hard-basket, lol! 

Now that I've retired my good old Rift cv1 I think it may be a good idea to add a Q2 to my Q1/Vive Pro VR headset  fleet.  That way I can use a Q2 for much better standalone mobile VR and media viewing and wireless with the option to use either Air Link or VD.  I could then leave my Q1 with my official Link cable connected to my PC for great OLED cv1-like apps.

Ok, I've just ended up ordering another Q2 (I returned my first one +5 months ago) to give it another go.  Ordered it from Amazon (actually in stock so should get it sometime next week) so it's very easy to return if things don't work out as well as expected.  I'm looking forward to giving this another go!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers