cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Freezing Quest

Happyduckk
Explorer
So yesterday (11/22) I was using the Link for ours and I had no issues, but today any oculus link games are freezing inside the headset. The games are perfectly fine on my PC, but the headset will freeze and I'll need to power off/restart the headset in order for it to do anything again.
Anybody else having this problem? :Has anyone found a fix for this?
Thanks 🙂

P.S: . I have made sure that no cables are disconnected when the freezing occurs.
        . I have a high-end PC, so specs aren't the problem
        . This has occurred with all of my Link compatible games, not just one specific game.
        . I have the recommended Anker USB cable, so hopefully that isn't the issue
161 REPLIES 161

mlt13254
Honored Guest
does anyone have an update using software 14.0? Apparently it's been released but I have yet to receive the update in my headset. I/ve been having the same issue as everyone else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mlt13254 said:

does anyone have an update using software 14.0? Apparently it's been released but I have yet to receive the update in my headset. I/ve been having the same issue as everyone else.

No update here yet either.
Oculus posted yesterday it was still a gradual rollout and likely no one will get over the weekend, should resume next week.

PWal83
Protege

mlt13254 said:

I'm on version 14 on both the quest and the pc, it doesn't fix the freezing issue for me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issues here. I was hoping the new update 14 would fix this. 

Aconite01
Honored Guest

Aconite01 said:

PWal83 said:

I just received version 14 and I'm still having the freezing problems, am I the only one still having this problem?

At this point I'm wondering if it will ever work for me again, guess I will contact support again, not that it will help any. 

Me too. Same issues as this thread. Tried all mentioned suggestions, still freezing on v14 of Oculus app and v14 Quest firmware.

Update: Quest Link Beta still broken for me... BUT!!! I found Virtual Desktop has released beta v1.9.6 (Streamer and *.apk you must sideload). The new beta uses native Oculus Quest API and streams games/apps from SteamVR (plus now Oculus Store) wirelessly.

Pro Tip: Must have 5Ghz a/c router with ethernet-wired PC. It's best to segregate VR traffic on its own channel and use your quest in the same room as your router to minimize RF interfearance.

I get ~30 ms latency with my setup, which deliveres a 'nearly native' wireless experience -- absolutely acceptable!

Sorry Oculus, I tried it your way but I don't like a cable and Link Beta is still broken, I just want to play the games I rightfully purchased on your store.

PWal83
Protege
I considered doing this but my WiFi router isn't in the same room as my pc, And I have never sideload anything before.

I'm really hoping oculus can fix this, I already wasted enough of my time mess with updates and settings, and achieving nothing. A little communication just to say if they are working on a fix would be nice. 

PWal83
Protege
Am I the only one now who still has this problem? Oculus support have been trying to help me fix it but still no luck.

This is really starting to annoy me now as I'm wasting my time following supports advice for nothing, I know it's a beta but I spent a lot of money buying the quest and that money is starting to feel wasted. 

saurabhsen
Honored Guest
Quest freezes every few minutes with latest v14. There was no issue before the update. Games/movies continue to play fine in my PC but Quest freezes few minutes after enabling Link. Without link enabled, Quest works fine for extended hours using the Quest installed games/software. Only using Link starts the crashing every few minutes.

Solved: My quest works fine now after uninstalling the older graphics card driver and installing the latest version. 

FreiherrSeymore
Protege

Nothing works now since last "update" they force you to use. I cant play anything anymore for more than 15 minutes. 14/14 Updates, newest Nvidia driver, flawless pc. The game continues fine on PC but the Quest completely freeze crashes and needs a restart everytime. It worked perfectly fine before update 14 so it cant be my Anker cable.

Very frustrating. My Quest is basically worthless now. Tried everything you can find. It doesnt matter if i use Steam, Oculus or Open Composite. I dont care at all about the new casual stuff you can play natively which probably still works.

Also i cant add Apps in Oculus Software anymore (error- no explanation as usual).

ScubyFlying
Explorer
I'm having the same problem and like to add to the above reports. 

It appears that sometimes the Quest image freezes while in game / simulator. It is not clear why it freezes, it happens at different times and not always. To quantify, it may happen around 30-60 minutes, compared to problem free sessions of around 120 minutes. When in freeze, it appears that all tracking is still transmitted OK from the Quest to the PC, since the monitor continues to display the game / simulator and the tracking output without issue. I have muted the Quest sound device by default, so I can not report if also the sound is frozen.

I think that this issue appeared since driver update version 12. 

I use the recommended Anker 10ft cable, connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port. My PC system is new: Ryzen 3700X OC 4.3GHz, 32GB 3200-CL14 DDR4, RTX 2080 Super,  Strix X570-E, RM850+ Gold 850W. NVIDIA drivers are up to date. 

The simulation used is DCS standalone with native VR (non SteamVR). I have no other test case. It appears that the issue may also happen after multiple problem free mission; in this case the Quest image performance degrades / stutters over a period of a few minutes until it freezes.  

I have tested restarting the Oculus Server and adjusting the USB ports and it appears that there is no relation with the issue. 
I have tested manual settings in the Oculus Debug Tool voor Encode width and Resolution and "it may" be related with the issue. The issue appears to happen more frequent if Encode width is higher than 2700 with/or when Resolution >1.0 is used. Before driver version 12, there were no issues with Encode width 2900. Currently, the custumization settings appear to be not reliable and better left untouched to have a high chance on stability of the link.  
I have tested with and without OBS recording in the background and it appears that there is no relation with the issue. 

The Anker cable in the PC front IO does have a natural U-bend because the PC stands higher than where I normally use the headset when seated. It appears that there is no relation between the cable bend and with the issue. I have tested resocketing the USB type-A end and type C connector ends, with no relation to the issue. 

Hope this helps and the issue can be fixed.