cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link + Intel Nuc Hades Canyon (Subpar Performance)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got my link cable in the mail. Bummed that just plugging it in its getting horrible performance. Even on just the rift homepage. So much latency and bad frame rate its really just unusable. I tried using the debug tool and setting the encode resolution width to values between 1400 and 1650 which resulted in much better framerates but picture quality is subpar as in the fidelity isn't as clear as just playing games native on the quest itself. The picture quality at these settings reminds me more of pre-rendered VR videos online that look like garbage for the most part. On the computer screen when running steam VR games I see no stuttering or image issues...not sure if that means anything at all.

• Processor: Intel Core i7-8809G Processor.
  • Graphics: Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics.
  • 32 GB RAM
Anyone working this this same hardware that has gotten it working great?

I have ensured I have the latest drivers installed for the GPU as well. 

Are there alternative softwares i can use with the oculus link that would result in better performance or am I just stuck looking into a external GPU upgrade I can install to plug into my Intel Nuc Hades Canyon and get great performance. 

9 REPLIES 9

shawnth
Honored Guest
Curious if you managed to figure out what was wrong.   I was thinking of buying a nuc for this purpose... as I would prefer not having a full size desktop on my desk.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@shawnth
Not as of yet, I have not had the chance to follow up with support. They got this reply to me about 4 days ago. 

I will report back once i have had a chance to reply to their support email and see if anything can be done.

Support so far has said:
" I will gladly look into your case concerning Oculus Link and the Intel Nuc.

Currently, your graphics card is a Vega M which is different from the AMD Vega Graphics Card because it is a mobile variant and this may be the reason why you're running into performance issues.

I can check your log files to ensure there is no problems with the software but I can't guarantee that it may work for your current set up.

That being said, I've provided instructions on how to extract log files down below:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Please let me know how you want to proceed with this or if you have any questions or comments at your own convenience."

Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran the rig through its paces again, with the Encode Resolution set to 1650 first, which makes things playable just not very nice looking. Than ran it through its paces again with the Encode Resolution set to the default value, which it would have been at when I first got the cable and tried foolishly to just plug and play it. Got the logs sent to the support ticket with a bunch of notes. Will report back when I hear back.

I know that this mobile variant GPU is not going to be the best fidelity, I just am trying to find out how we can squeeze the most we possibly can out of it so than I can determine if I am just going to get a egpu setup or perhaps invest in a Oculus Rift S...as it seems several people reported good results with that headset and this Hades Canyon.

Passiday
Honored Guest
Hey @MadToLive , do you have any update? Plugged in my fresh Oculus Link cable in Hades Canyon, and was unpleasantly surprised about the framerate issue.

Bassualdo
Honored Guest
I read, intel now recommends the AMD graphics driver to install instead of the intel drivers. Did anyone tries out Oculus link with AMD Graphics driver?

Passiday
Honored Guest
I have installed the newest AMD driver version 20.2.2 (released 28/02/2020), and it did not fix the issue right after the install and restart. But yesterday I tried again and discovered that with Oculus Quest firmware version 15.0.0.200.456.205956078 the problem is almost gone. Looking around is very smooth, but there are some small artefacts when moving around. I can't know for sure if the problem was fixed by AMD driver or firmware update or both, but the VR experience is much better.

JDR82
Honored Guest
Just to confirm are you saying in the first post that using Oculus Link, Steam VR games are fine its just Oculus PCVR games that have poor performance?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@JDR82 No I was having poor performance all around using the link with the hardware I listed. I just decided to go get a VR capable laptop recommended on the official Oculus site. 

JDR82
Honored Guest
I was going to say it simply looked like the Radeon RX Vega M GH isnt up to the task of PCVR.

I would ask the question, do you need it to be a laptop, you will get a far more capable desktop for far less money.