cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Lagging and Stuttering

crice2005
Honored Guest
Hello, I have been trying to use oculus link for the past two days with no success The menu, games, and steamVR run poorly. Now it's not unplayable, but could be much much better. My specs are:
gpu- amd radeon rx 5600 xt
cpu- amd ryzen 3600 6-core processor 
 ram- 16 gb
Also I am not using the official oculus cord, I am using this one from amazon: quest link cable 16ft from the brand vokoo. sorry it wont let me post a link. (this is the only thing I could think may be causing the issues)
The steam and index performance test say that my computer is above the standards for vr, I am just really lost on what to do. I have also tried setting the oculus files on the task manager to high priority but that did not help, I am just really lost on what I am doing wrong 
8 REPLIES 8

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
What does the USB speed test tell you? How fast is the cable? Also, AMD cards do struggle a little more than the RTX Nvidia cards as the encoding is superior on those cards.

Also, I would make sure that everything is set to the lowest settings to start with. E.g. Set it to 72Hz, enable the default resolution button, set Steam VR to 100%, etc. And, you don't mention if you have this same issue with Oculus native titles. That could help us troubleshoot if Oculus games run fine, but Steam has issues. Then start moving things up until you have issues.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Kimille
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issues as of a few days ago. I've reinstalled everything related(USB,Nvidia drivers, the Oculus app), and nothing has worked. Previously I was able to play games with some slight stuttering as my computer isn't quite up to par, but it never outright crashed. I can't run Steam VR, or Oculus Rift games of any type. It even crashes in Oculus home after a few minutes.
I've gone from 2.3 solid on USB bandwidth on 2 separate cables to 1.2 or less. I'm completely at a loss for what to do.

crice2005
Honored Guest

What does the USB speed test tell you? How fast is the cable? Also, AMD cards do struggle a little more than the RTX Nvidia cards as the encoding is superior on those cards.

Also, I would make sure that everything is set to the lowest settings to start with. E.g. Set it to 72Hz, enable the default resolution button, set Steam VR to 100%, etc. And, you don't mention if you have this same issue with Oculus native titles. That could help us troubleshoot if Oculus games run fine, but Steam has issues. Then start moving things up until you have issues.

If you don't mind, how would I get to the speed test? I will mess with the settings a little more tonight, but I don't currently have any oculus pc titles besides Minecraft which would load then crash ( I think this was unrelated as I think I installed it wrong)

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
I've had stuttering issues on and off since I got my quest.  It's always been a software issue (except once when an update on the headset made the guardian wall cause stuttering when it appeared).  Here's what fixed it for me over the past year.

1.  Use a different USB 3 port.  My motherboard has two different USB chipsets and it plays nicer with the Intel one.
2.  Uninstall then reinstall SteamVR.  I lost my home settings but it was worth fixing the stuttering for me.
3.  Set OVRServer_x64.exe in the task manager to high priority.  Avoid setting it to realtime since it can choke out other programs or the game you're trying to play.
4.  Uninstall the Gigabyte app center.  This one was the most recent, it was doing some kind of check every minute and spamming the windows event log.
5.  Uninstall and reinstall the oculus software.  This one's usually a last resort for me since there is no local installer for it and you need to redownload everything.

Good luck finding and fixing the issue.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

crice2005 said:

If you don't mind, how would I get to the speed test? I will mess with the settings a little more tonight, but I don't currently have any oculus pc titles besides Minecraft which would load then crash ( I think this was unrelated as I think I installed it wrong)

In the Oculus desktop app, click on "devices" and then on the big green circle next to "Quest 2 and Touch." A window will pop to the side. Scroll down to "USB test", click on it and click "Test Connection." It should be somewhere between 1.5GB and 2.9GB to play well. I get about 2.7 and it is smooth as butter.

In that same popped up window is something that says "Graphic Preferences." Click on that and set it to 72Hz and turn on the "Automatic (Recommended)" slider until you get things working smooth. Then you can adjust these up depending on the power of your video card.

I would suggest getting at least one Oculus native game to determine if the problems you are having are with Oculus or with Steam.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer
AMD owners need to use an older set of drivers I think?
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

crice2005
Honored Guest

crice2005 said:

In the Oculus desktop app, click on "devices" and then on the big green circle next to "Quest 2 and Touch." A window will pop to the side. Scroll down to "USB test", click on it and click "Test Connection." It should be somewhere between 1.5GB and 2.9GB to play well. I get about 2.7 and it is smooth as butter.

In that same popped up window is something that says "Graphic Preferences." Click on that and set it to 72Hz and turn on the "Automatic (Recommended)" slider until you get things working smooth. Then you can adjust these up depending on the power of your video card.

I would suggest getting at least one Oculus native game to determine if the problems you are having are with Oculus or with Steam.

well i have switched the port and done the test and am running at abt 2.8. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. it seems to kind of be working, I no longer lag in the menu. but i bought blade and sorcery on oculus and also have it on steam, both still lag. i turned down the graphics preferences and it is still not running well. i just am frustrated as I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
I have the same issue. It got extremely worse using the PTC 25 and I have a 2060 RTX with the original Link cable.
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/