cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Official Cable not working on Thunderbolt 3 Port

Fangzhou
Adventurer
I try to connect Oculus Quest 2 to PC with Official Oculus Link Cable but it does not works. The connection will green for few seconds, then win10 pop up warning "The USB device is not working properly" and then Oculus software shows "No HDMI connection" and disconnect the Oculus Quest 2. 
This only happens when I use official Oculus Link cable. If I use third-party poor quality cable with same Thunderbolt 3 port, it works perfectly. If I use official Oculus Link cable on same PC same Quest 2 but a different USB-C port (not Thunderbolt3, only USB-C), then it works.
Most strange behavior is that: the official Oculus Link + Thunderbolt3+Quest 2 combination works twice, and seems randomly. If it can successfully connect, the Oculus Link just works. But if I disconnect then connect again, it fails.  Most of time it will just fail in few seconds as what I descript. 
I try to use a copper extension cable so that the thunderbolt3 does not communicate with the official Oculus Link cable directly, but it still fail, same as before. 
If I connect other devices (for example, iPad Pro) + official Oculus Link cable + thunderbolt3 port, it does not working. I think the problem is the PC or the cable. 

My PC spec is i7-6700k + Gigabyte Z170 Gaming GT motherboard + GTX1070. Software is latest non-PTC. (Tried latest PTC, also not working). 

16 REPLIES 16

Fangzhou
Adventurer
Update: I tried with Quest 1 then it WORKS.

So the problem happens only for Quest 2. I guess this is some capability issue on the headset side. 

MrShirokun
Protege
the oculus link is only in beta from what i heard so the quest 2 may be rejecting the port through the oculus brand cable. its new hardware so there will be some bugs here and there

rostislav_ryabk
Honored Guest
I have Alienware M17 R2 with Thunderbolt 3 onboard and it's working just fine. The only problem I can't switch to 90Hz :(.

JiTLeR
Honored Guest
Did you find a resolution to this? 
i am having the same issue. I have a Gigabyte z170x Ultra Gaming motherboard and it is the only Usb-c port i have. I managed to get it to work for a few hours without issue but have not been able to hold a connection since then.
From what i am reading the recommendation is to get a refund for oculus link cable and get a much cheaper one elsewhere as they dont seem to have the issue?

Fangzhou
Adventurer

JiTLeR said:

i am having the same issue. I have a Gigabyte z170x Ultra Gaming motherboard and it is the only Usb-c port i have. I managed to get it to work for a few hours without issue but have not been able to hold a connection since then.
From what i am reading the recommendation is to get a refund for oculus link cable and get a much cheaper one elsewhere as they dont seem to have the issue?

Since this seems like a power issue in Quest 2 software, I wonder whether v23 software update would fix this issue. But the update only pushed to top priority countries first, so my Quest 2 is not getting the v23 software update until now. I think I would need to wait for few weeks to get the update. 
The safe solution is of course, getting a cheap USB3 cable, or buy a PCIE USB-C card. 

FearlessV
Honored Guest
im having the same issue with the same exact setup. I wonder if its the gigabyte mobo. i have the z170 gaming 7. 6700k and 1070. keeps connecting and disconnecting. no update on my quest 2 yet

JiTLeR
Honored Guest

Fangzhou said:

JiTLeR said:

Since this seems like a power issue in Quest 2 software, I wonder whether v23 software update would fix this issue. But the update only pushed to top priority countries first, so my Quest 2 is not getting the v23 software update until now. I think I would need to wait for few weeks to get the update. 
The safe solution is of course, getting a cheap USB3 cable, or buy a PCIE USB-C card. 

So I have been going at it on a support ticket and they pushed v23 update to my headset a few days ago. This made a little improvement in that I could generally get into the PC VR but it still did not last long. They have since got me to do everything you could think of, with logs provided after each attempt. Everything has been completely clean removed and all re-installed from scratch, Windows Game mode has been turned off, USB power settings in device manager changed etc, but no success. It actually has gotten worse as I now also get an error message in the headset telling me that Oculus link keeps stopping and when you click "App info" it just gives you the three loading dots that never disappear.

Although I have noticed that if I leave it plugged in for about 20mins, with the headset switched on (although it will obviously go into standby), it often seems to then hold a connection (whilst in standby mode).

My graphics card could do with an update so was tempted to get the new AMD 6800 XT, which has a USB-C (assuming I can get hold of one), but also tempted on the other hand to just send the Oculus Link back and get a cheap USB 3 type A cable.

ShermanHerman
Protege
Was giving me thunderbolt problems as well, I thought  it was the cheap cable, i ended up just getting virtual desktop which also has small issues...I ordered a better longer cable and will mess around when it comes in....

FearlessV
Honored Guest
I actually got mine to work. I bought a usb c to usb c, hdmi, and usb 3.0 hub and it lets me use link now. i think part of the issue was the link cable didnt seem to go fully into the port on mobo. i bought the plug from walmart. I got it to work before the v23 update. i just got pushed the update now. ill post if any change.