cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link suddenly heavy stuttering and unusable?!

reiro
Honored Guest
I received my Quest about two weeks ago and have been using Oculus Link with Alyx perfectly fine with the recommended ANKER Link cable until today.
Suddenly, Link started stuttering so badly that it is now unusable. I tried the whole day trying to bug fix and tracking down the error.

I have done the following:
1. tried 3 different USB 3 ports on my laptop.
2. tried 2 different ANKER Cables with and without an extension cable (1m and 3m version)
3. formatted my whole laptop and reinstalled Oculus Software
4. factory reset my Oculus Quest

...yet the problem persists even though I used it for 14 days without any issues and lags despite me having a GTX 980, 16GB RAM, i7.

I do not understand how from one day to the next the Link function will not work without stutter anymore. Sometimes its fine for 10 seconds until the Oculus Home loads in the environment. I hope Oculus manages to make the Link feature work more reliably. 

EDIT: This issue has been resolved by disableing Guardian.

36 REPLIES 36

nikidash
Explorer
Had the same issue, disabling Guardian fixed all the stuttering i had.

reiro
Honored Guest

nikidash said:

I assume you mean Guardian Boundries?
::smile: 

Thanks I will give that a try.

nikidash
Explorer

reiro said:

nikidash said:

I simply went to the developer settings in the Quest home and deactivated Guardian. Obviously this is going to deactivate the Boundaries.

reiro
Honored Guest

nikidash said:

reiro said:

nikidash said:

I simply went to the developer settings in the Quest home and deactivated Guardian. Obviously this is going to deactivate the Boundaries.

That fixed it! Very very odd. I think Oculus needs to fix this since it seem to have issues with the boundries.

Mr_PoOL
Protege
I narrowed it down to the guardian too, it starts to stutter when you get near your guardian. It only happens in link, just tried with virtual desktop wireless and the stutter is not there..

Cosmitz
Honored Guest
Can confirm. It's tied to when i get closer to the Guardian. 1070GTX, but i can tell tracking jutter from frame rate stutter, and this ain't frame rate stutter.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
Disabling guardian helps a lot with stuttering and I've also found that turning off auto detect for hand tracking helps a lot as well.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

Mario119
Explorer
Can confirm that disabling the guardian seems to have gotten rid of the stuttering whilst using Link. Hopefully the devs can fix this sometimes, since I tend to be a klutz and really need the guardian...

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

Mario119 said:

Can confirm that disabling the guardian seems to have gotten rid of the stuttering whilst using Link. Hopefully the devs can fix this sometimes, since I tend to be a klutz and really need the guardian...

I've cut out a 3ft by 3ft section of a cheap yoga mat in the meantime to keep track of where I am.  I've been going back and forth with support for about two weeks now on this issue and all they have asked me to do was factory reset it, try different rooms and lighting and remove sideloading which I did when I factory reset it.  I'm getting frustrated with it but glad I have a workaround for now.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz