cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus PC app uses too much GPU memory

yangcf10
Honored Guest
I'm using i5-9600K, 32GB Memory, RTX 2060 6GB VRAM to play VR games.

When I'm playing Half-life: Alyx, it warned me that your GPU memory is not enough. I checked task manager and found that Oculus PC apps (include OVRServer_x64, OculusDash and OculusClient) are using nearly 2GB of GPU memory (see my screenshot below). I didn't open Oculus Home so it's not here.
I created a ticket on Oculus Support site. The support said that from my log it uses only 1.2GB GPU memory and it's by design.

I don't think it's a good idea to occupy 2GB memory out of 6GB while a game is running. I think Oculus app is caching something so that I can go back to dashboard quickly when pressing Oculus button. But I don't think it's necessary for me to do so. I want an option than can disable the cache (if there's any) to reduce the GPU memory usages during the game.

Currently my solution is using Virtual Desktop to streaming VR game. It uses less than 500MB GPU memory while streaming. A disadvantage is that wireless network may cause more latency and frame loss rate. But it is better than lag caused by running out of GPU memory. If Virtual Desktop can stream via USB cable, I can just uninstall Oculus PC app.

So, PC gamers in the forum, did you meet the problem, and what's your solution?

Screenshot of task manager:
hbi9akzk9hpf.png
5 REPLIES 5

hoccl
Honored Guest

oculus link is trash, it cost 2.3g vram on my 3070 and with steamvr 1.6g i cannot do anything lol

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Yeah, it uses too much RAM. If we use max encode resolution, it uses 3GB.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Or make sure you use the Vulkan API, may free up some 2GB of vram. Then again, you could just get a real VR hmd, if you like real VR games 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

dewthedew902
Expert Protege

half life alyx doesn’t need those oculus apps to run actually. You can quit them in task manager or use the oculus debugger and press the option to stop oculus software. Makes it run buttery smooth then while using virtual desktop 

you're right. 3070 here too. it's horrible. try virtual desktop. it runs well but more compression and no motion smoothing (then again AWS does a horrible job anyway compared to steam motion smoothing for me)

they really need to fix this but they seem to have not care about fixing it.