cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift game?

BulmaLina
Honored Guest
Hello.
My Oculus Rift broke. I filed a complaint. They couldn't fix it so they returned the money. So I bought Oculus Quest. Why can't I play games from Oculus Rift to the new Oculus Quest without having to have a cable connected? What's the point of having a wireless Oculus when it's not possible without a cable? 😞
Can anyone advise me how to do this please?
5 REPLIES 5

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
Quest and Rift have 2 different stores and access to different software. Remember, the Quest is running on an old cell phone CPU from 2016; it can’t run the same software that your PC can. Some games are cross buy - if you buy in one store, you get it in the other store for free. Many are not. What games specifically are you talking about?

BulmaLina
Honored Guest
So you're saying Oculus Quest is outdated?
These are games like Lone Echo. Beat Saber. Walking Dead Saints and Sinners ... etc.
The thing is, I already bought these games for Oculus Rift. And I don't want to buy them again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your Rift was connected by a cable to the PC? The Quest runs on Android so it is a completely different operating system. It's like "Why won't my PS4 games run on my Xbox" The quest is wireless with it's native programs, it's amazing that they got it to work with the link at all. I too wish all the games were cross buy, but a lot of them have no Quest port anyways (Lone Echo for example) and the ones that do, the developers have had to rework the game code so that it runs on the quest and want to recoup the costs. I'm thankful for the developers that have Crossbuy. They didn't have to. I do think that the developers that don't should at least give a 50% discount but ultimately that's their call.

BulmaLina
Honored Guest
Hello. Yes I connected the Quest cable it worked without problems. Just that the cable is a little short. Very short.
Well, thank you for the explanation. In that case, I'm going to return Oculus Quest.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
The official USB C 3.0 Link cable is pretty nice. I bought it rather then one of the 3rd party alternatives because research showed it had a better build quality. The cord is also a nice length. The charge cord that comes with your Quest is nine feet long, which isn't bad if your tower is near the play area. The official Link cable on the other hand is a little over 15 feet long. Which means your place space can be farther away from the tower. Mind you, I'll want to get a 3 foot extension cable, I think, before I try playing room scale Rift games.
EDIT: Oh yeah, another minor benefit of using the official Link cable is that it comes with a clip on bracket. This bracket attaches to the strap of your Quest, and prevents you from accidentally pulling the Link cable out by providing an anchor for if you pull on the cord. You can kitbash something to do the same thing. But having a bracket that's designed for that specific purpose is useful.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.