cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus not recognizing video card of laptop.

poltergheist
Explorer

So this is the third laptop I have purchased that I think is within specs. This time I did get an error saying the video was an issue.

MSI - 15.6" 144 Hz IPS - Intel Core i7 11th Gen 11800H (2.30GHz) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU - 16 GB DDR4 - 1 TB HDD 512 GB NVMe SSD - Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Gaming Laptop (Pulse GL66 11UDK-076 )

Am I seeing something wrong or are 30x cards supported? Do I need to send this laptop back again? If yes what can I get that will work? If no how do I fix this.

11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We see you are having some difficulties with your video card and trying to connect your Oculus device. So that we can have more specific troubleshooting to help you, can you tell us which Oculus device you are trying to use? We want to get you back into gaming as soon as possible!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

poltergheist
Explorer

I'm using the quest 2. Really all I wanted to do was play nms through the Xbox game pass

Hello again, poltergheist! Thanks for your response. We have a few more questions that will help determine the cause of the issue:

• Has it worked before and then it stopped or has it never worked at all?
  • Have you made sure all your drivers are installed and up-to-date? 
  • Are you using the Oculus Link or Air Link? 

Once you respond with this information, we'll be happy to continue looking into this for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

This is with a brand new laptop well 3 to be more precise. So no it hasn't worked before.

All drivers and firmware were up to date. 

Finally I tried both quest and air link. 

This current laptop is on its way back to the company. But a laptop that works would be awesome.

Hey poltergheist!

So we did a bit of digging for you and we've found out that playing No Man's Sky (nice choice!) via GamePass is a bit funky. Assuming that all of your laptop's specs are compatible, you'll need to make sure Steam VR is open during launch and select the VR option once it pops up. Since those aren't our own products we can't do much more in the way of guidance and troubleshooting, but it is what we have gathered.

As for the specs and laptop itself, the list of supported graphics cards for our link can be found here. as long as your system meets those requirements then you should be good to go!

If you've already gotten a new laptop then let us know once it arrives so we can keep investigating and researching with you.

poltergheist
Explorer

I think I'm going to give up on the laptop for now. The last one met specs with a 30x graphics. So going to do some more research and get a mini PC. I hate that it's not  really portable. But that really is a non issue now days.

We get that. Once you get it, reach out if you need any more assistance.

Good luck on the new device and we hope you have a blast sailing the stars in No Man's Sky!

Once you get your new PC up and running, this thread may be of help, as several other users have been reporting this issue lately: https://ocul.us/3qX1gIt

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I suggest you quit wasting your $'s on over priced, under performing, so called gaming laptops and get a decent desktop gaming pc and a rtx3070 or better gpu.  Of course, if you like to waste money and complain about performance, then by all means stick with laptops, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

See the problem with desktops is space. I'm not home so I have to travel light. I would love to build a full pc, it's just not feasible at this moment.