cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Oculus Quest headphones only outputting Left audio

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received my official Oculus Quest headphones the other day, and have noticed that they’re only outputting Left side audio from both audio jacks.  I first noticed this in various games (Vader Immortal being the first) and then used a Youtube left/right audio test to confirm. 

When left side audio is playing, it comes out fine on the left headphone. When right side audio is playing, it’s completely mute. 

Is this a known issue?  Are others experiencing the same?  Are my headphones defective?  Is my Quest defective?
20 REPLIES 20

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don’t have the official Oculus earbuds, but when I used my own headphones, at first I was only getting left ear audio. I found I had to really press the jack in hard to make contact on the right ear channel.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this issue is somewhat different.  The right headphone jack does output audio, but it will not output right-only audio — it’s only outputting left channel. 

Lujho
Expert Protege
Both jacks are presumably still outputting both channels though (since they each work fine with regular stereo headphones) - it's just that each individual bud is designed to only output one of them. So it still might be a "not pushed in far enough" thing.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Lujho said:

Both jacks are presumably still outputting both channels though (since they each work fine with regular stereo headphones) - it's just that each individual bud is designed to only output one of them. So it still might be a "not pushed in far enough" thing.

This is what I’m suggesting... it felt like the jack was pushed all the way in, but the socket is really tight and there was one more “click” to bottom out and make contact with the right audio ring.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
My right headphone is as flush as I can get it.  Not sure how I’d push it in further in this state.5hqv8d7x3rhv.jpeg

I’ve done some more digging on this issue, and it seems pretty widespread with the official Oculus headphones.  There’s a few posts and many comments on the Oculus Quest subreddit about this, but no solution seems to have been identified at this point. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I performed another test using an old standard pair of wired stereo headphones. 

Channel separation worked perfectly fine regardless of whether the headphones were plugged into the left audio jack or the right audio jack.  There also wasn’t nearly as much hissing or static or crackling as with the Oculus earbuds. 

This leads me to believe it’s an issue with the Oculus earbuds, and not necessarily an issue with the Quest. 

actualhuman
Explorer
I also have this issue and have done some testing on non-Quest devices. The right earbud will _only_ play left channel audio no matter what device it is connected to. I believe it is just a hardware screw up.
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz | 8GB RAM | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / Windows 7 64bit

highport
Explorer
this is a widespread issue and warranting a sticky on this forum. Reddit has a good thread running:
https://np.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/buwpku/official_oculus_quest_earbuds_owners_please_read...

Anonymous
Not applicable
At this point, it seems essentially confirmed that Oculus is selling defective earbuds, wherein the right earbud has been wired for left, leaving users with two left earbuds. 

We’re going to need a refund and/or replacement process.