cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POWER OFF isn't POWER OFF

Mr_Mental
Level 3

Hi, New Oculus 2 user here. I'm trying to figure out how to fully shut down the Oculus 2 so no battery is being used after charging it to 100% and putting it away for the night. I always come back to find that my battery isn't fully charged (aka at a 100%) and is somehow using battery power when it's not being used. How do I stop this?

I've disabled sleep mode and it still continues to use a small amount of power when it's suppose to be powered off. IMO if you turn off a device it shouldn't be using the battery. I'm hoping I'm overlooking something and Facebook didn't just make a device that can never be truly turned off.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mr_Mental
Level 3

I figured it out!

Note: For those of you that don't have an Elite strap battery or another external power bank this will not help you. However if you buy a cheap $10 power bank you can use it to completely turn off your Oculus Quest 2.

Ok, so I have an Elite strap and a VR Power bank by Rebuff. I noticed that after charging the power bank and Oculus headset together that if I unplug the power bank from the Oculus it completly turns off the Oculus Quest 2 and does not drain the battery between your play sessions. The steps I use are below...

1. Plug power bank into OQ2

2. Plug power into the power bank and the power bank and OQ2 will begin charging. When full do step 3.

3. Unplug the power going into the power bank. NOTE: You will notice the OQ2 lens light up for a few seconds then turn off.

4. Now unplug the power bank from the OQ2. NOTE: You will notice the OQ2 lens light up for a few seconds then turn off.

That's it! Your OQ2 is now completely powered down. You can confirm this by pressing the power button on the OQ2 once and the lens will not light up. When the OQ2 isn't fully powered down and you press the OQ2 power button the lens will light up for a few seconds and will display the current battery charge.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The-Burrito
Level 4

Lithium-ion batteries will discharge slowly, even if there's no active power draw.

If I charge my phone to 100% and turn it off until the next day, I will still have 100%. I'm pretty confident that the O2 is always powered on even when "Powered Off" because if you power down and press the power button once it will display the batteries total charge.

You are right about lithium batteries losing some charge over time but this isn't the case. Losing 15-20% battery every 24 hours isn't normal charge lose. Thoughts?

100% agree, I see the same thing. The headset is losing > 15% per day powered off and sleep is not enabled.

I also use a lens cover and the unit doesn't move and is in a box, so no movement/light replies.

Either the batteries are the worst on the planet or the thing connects to home!

Mr_Mental
Level 3

I figured it out!

Note: For those of you that don't have an Elite strap battery or another external power bank this will not help you. However if you buy a cheap $10 power bank you can use it to completely turn off your Oculus Quest 2.

Ok, so I have an Elite strap and a VR Power bank by Rebuff. I noticed that after charging the power bank and Oculus headset together that if I unplug the power bank from the Oculus it completly turns off the Oculus Quest 2 and does not drain the battery between your play sessions. The steps I use are below...

1. Plug power bank into OQ2

2. Plug power into the power bank and the power bank and OQ2 will begin charging. When full do step 3.

3. Unplug the power going into the power bank. NOTE: You will notice the OQ2 lens light up for a few seconds then turn off.

4. Now unplug the power bank from the OQ2. NOTE: You will notice the OQ2 lens light up for a few seconds then turn off.

That's it! Your OQ2 is now completely powered down. You can confirm this by pressing the power button on the OQ2 once and the lens will not light up. When the OQ2 isn't fully powered down and you press the OQ2 power button the lens will light up for a few seconds and will display the current battery charge.

View solution in original post