cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pair Controllers Without Phone Companion App

spiffyfitz
Honored Guest

Received a refurb Quest 2 today. Controllers apparently came unpaired. Pulled plastic tabs, get 3 white light flashes and then they turn off. 

In setup, I'm able to use the volume buttons to advance to the wifi setup screen, but on this screen, the volume buttons now act as proper volume control, and not a "select" button. Therefore, I'm unable to select a wifi network and connect.

From everything I'm reading, it sounds like you NEED to use the phone companion app to pair the controllers. However, my phones and ipad have been unsuccessful in pairing to the headset. I assume this is because the headset is not on a wireless network.

Need headset on wireless network to use phone app... need phone app to pair controllers... unable to pair controllers because no phone app. It's a catch-22. 

Is there really no way to pair the controllers in the setup phase without the companion app? Does the headset really need to be on the wireless network? Doesn't the phone use a bluetooth handshake to get the pairing information? Why is wifi even required?

--edit--

I should mention that i have tried resetting factory settings, have bluetooth/network and location permissions to the oculus phone app, have reinstalled the app, tried 3 phones, and rebooted the device many times now. 

19 REPLIES 19

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We want to help get your controllers paired and make setup as smooth as possible for you, so please PM us or click HERE to contact us by email or chat. We'll look into the issues you're experiencing with your controllers and the phone app and get them squared away. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Support ticket created. Looks like I need to ship everything back to get replaced. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world. Seems silly to me that you can't pair controllers in an easier way.

It's infuriating that I can't pair directly via headset. I'm having a issue that I can't pair my phone with the headset, now I'm losing work time because I don't have a left controller

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, 

We understand how frustrating this process has been for you, so we would like to step in and further assist you. 

We also noticed that this error is cutting into your work time, so we would like to provide you with a few steps we know will help you out. 

1. Change out old batteries:
  2. Internet/ Wi-Fi errors: Your current connectivity status can limit playback functionality, especially for multiplayer online games. To confirm your current upload/ download speed, perform an internet speed test. 
  3. Meta Quest OS could be outdated: At times when the device isn't running the available updates, it can create runtime errors and app glitches. 

If you have been able to already work out these options, then we would like to invite you over to a private message. Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here: https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

We are eager to help you get out of this ongoing issue, so at your earliest convenience feel to update us so we can get you right! 

Always here to help! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

1. The batteries were just swapped and are full.

2. Internet was fine, and isn't pairing via bluetooth? The step I was stuck was right after writing the 5 digit pairing number.

3. OS on latest version.

I fixed by factory resetting, pairing worked then. 😓

Good hearing back from you! 

We appreciate you taking the time to help fix this issue. Your teamwork is amazing! 

To answer your question, Yes, pairing your device does require Bluetooth. There is another step we would like for you to try out. We would like for you to please clear out your Bluetooth cache history. This will allow you to start afresh and pair your device to your Meta verse mobile app. 

We really want to get you out of this ongoing error you're facing, so we would like to invite you over to private message. This will allow us to be able to work one-on-one with you on this case. 

Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here: https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

We hope to hear back from you soon! 

Thank you for the support but I already fixed the issue when I reset to factory state.

Ahhh we see! Although you went through a hefty process, we want to say a big Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

If you happen to have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach back out to us! 

We will always be here to help you out! 

Hey so im having the same issue. Just got a refurbished quest 2. Only the quest and its telling me to pull the tabs out of the controllers but i already have controllers so how would i pair them because i have outdated software on this refurbed quest and cant connect it to the app. this is frustrating and BS