cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passthrough is fuzzy

Phil790
Level 2

I'm using an oculus quest 2 for the first time today, which is second hand. When I use passthrough the image is very fuzzy/snowy. It's good enough to see my general surroundings but nowhere near as good as any of the marketing videos. For example I cannot use passthrough in immersed to type on a keyboard because I cannot make out the letters. The simulated screens etc are fine, so it's about the input rather than the screen resolution.

Also, as a separate issue, if I use hand gestures I cannot get the universal menu up. The quest 2 recognises my gesture, and shows the ocilus gesture and the white outline goes all the way round but nothing pops up.  Same for menu on left hand.

Please help.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

OculusSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Phil790! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! As for the passthrough mode look fuzzy or unclear, it is quite normal for this effect to happen. As for the hand tracking issue, we recommend turning off hand tracking restarting your device and turning hand tracking back on. Steps for turning off/on hand tracking will be below:

1. Press on your right Touch controller to pull up your universal menu.
  2. Hover over the clock on the left side of the universal menu. When Quick Settings appears, select it to open the Quick Settings panel.
  3. Select Settings in the top right corner.
  4. Select Device from the left menu, then select Hands and Controllers.
  5. Select the toggle next to Hand Tracking to turn it on or off.

If this doesn't work, please complete a factory reset. Don't forget about our Cloud Backup feature, it'll save any eligible game data from being erased during the factory reset! For more information about our Cloud Backup feature, please follow the link here: Oculus Cloud Backup! Once the Cloud Backup feature is turned on, please follow the steps outlined in the articled to find out how to complete a Factory Reset! We hope this helps! 

PITTCANNA
Level 13
  • Clean all the camera lenses with a microfiber cloth

For the fuzzy pass through

• eliminate sunlight in the room
  • add more lighting with standard lightbulbs
  • avoid fluorescent light

For the hand gestures, all of above will help if you have persistient issues get an IR illuminator to help with the recognition of the hands

https://www.amazon.com/Esimen-Illuminator-Immersive-Anti-Interference-Sensitivity/dp/B097MDXTRV/ref=...

Passthrough is always fuzzy and distorted. The cameras purpose is to track the controller LEDs so they are fairly low resolution and tuned to see IR rather than visible light. To be honest, I don't think passthrough was ever seriously considered at the design stage so having it at all is a bonus.

Do you have a link to the marketing you think is misleading? I don't remember passthrough ever really being promoted so I'd be interested to see what was promised.