cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pcvr over wifi

Graveyyy
Explorer

Hi, I’m decent with tech but I’m having trouble understanding how to set up a wireless pcvr connection. I understand that I need a wifi 5ghz router and a wifi 6 router would be even better but that’s really where it ends, I’d love to have something like it set up when I receive my quest 2 next week. If anybody can clear this up for me I’d be really grateful, I’m particularly worried about my wifi speed at the moment, I’m getting 80 down and like 20 up and I’m not sure if that’s good or bad when it comes to vr gaming.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Viscerous
Protege

As mentioned, the bare minimum really is to simply have the Virtual Desktop app installed on the Quest, the Streamer app installed on the PC, and both connected to the same network. Opening the Virtual Desktop app on the Quest will automatically connect to the PC that's running the Streamer. Virtual Desktop also uses the official Oculus runtimes now, so for games you'll need to install the Oculus desktop software same as you do for Oculus Link.

For further optimisation in order of importance:

• Ideally the PC is on a wired connection that's at least 1 Gbps (both the network adapter and cable need to support this, but if your hardware isn't ancient this should be no problem, you can check this in Windows' adapter options)
  • A router that's 802.11ac is already optimal provided it has two antennas. Ensure channel bandwidth is 80 MHz in this case to get the full 867 Mbps throughput and you're solid.
  • 802.11ax routers (commonly marketed as WiFi 6) can do 160 MHz channels for 1.73 Gbps throughput, not required but might decrease latency by a couple of miliseconds.

Aforementioned optimisations obviously use the 5 GHz network. I see no reason to isolate it to a separate network as my Quest 2 has never picked the less optimal 2.4 GHz network on my Ubiquiti access point. It's worth keeping in mind however that 5 GHz travels a much shorter distance than 2.4 GHz, so ideally the access point is in the same room you'll be using your headset in. Congestion isn't a big problem for 5 GHz for the same reason so unless you have many devices in that room using the network, there's also not much to worry about in that regard.

PS. The fact that you stated 80 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up leads me to believe you ran a speed test or something that measures your internet connection. This is completely unrelated to this setup as you'll only be communicating within the local network. A working internet connection once setup is complete is not required.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ohgrant
Superstar

One thing that was necessary for some in the beginning was to go into your router settings and isolate the 5g from the legacy by giving the 5g it's own login. It was necessary here with the original Quest to stop it from switching to the legacy. Not sure that it's necessary now with Quest 2, I keep it that way, locked to the 5g, out of habit. 

Besides that, all you really need is the Quest store version of Virtual Desktop. I don't believe they are cross buy. If you have the PCVR version of Virtual Desktop, you won't be using that. Instead just download the free Virtual Desktop streamer .  

The settings button on the left controller brings up the launch menu for your Oculus and Steam VR games. Good luck. report back if you get a chance

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Thanks for the reply, when I get the device in I’ll test it and give an update 🙂

Viscerous
Protege

As mentioned, the bare minimum really is to simply have the Virtual Desktop app installed on the Quest, the Streamer app installed on the PC, and both connected to the same network. Opening the Virtual Desktop app on the Quest will automatically connect to the PC that's running the Streamer. Virtual Desktop also uses the official Oculus runtimes now, so for games you'll need to install the Oculus desktop software same as you do for Oculus Link.

For further optimisation in order of importance:

• Ideally the PC is on a wired connection that's at least 1 Gbps (both the network adapter and cable need to support this, but if your hardware isn't ancient this should be no problem, you can check this in Windows' adapter options)
  • A router that's 802.11ac is already optimal provided it has two antennas. Ensure channel bandwidth is 80 MHz in this case to get the full 867 Mbps throughput and you're solid.
  • 802.11ax routers (commonly marketed as WiFi 6) can do 160 MHz channels for 1.73 Gbps throughput, not required but might decrease latency by a couple of miliseconds.

Aforementioned optimisations obviously use the 5 GHz network. I see no reason to isolate it to a separate network as my Quest 2 has never picked the less optimal 2.4 GHz network on my Ubiquiti access point. It's worth keeping in mind however that 5 GHz travels a much shorter distance than 2.4 GHz, so ideally the access point is in the same room you'll be using your headset in. Congestion isn't a big problem for 5 GHz for the same reason so unless you have many devices in that room using the network, there's also not much to worry about in that regard.

PS. The fact that you stated 80 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up leads me to believe you ran a speed test or something that measures your internet connection. This is completely unrelated to this setup as you'll only be communicating within the local network. A working internet connection once setup is complete is not required.

Thank you for the reply, I’ve already isolated my 2.4ghz connection in my router settings and I’ve got a wifi extender in my room which is connected to my pc via Ethernet so based on reading your comment I should be good to go! Thanks again.