cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance - what am I missing?

IOIIOOIO
Explorer

I don't understand why these games are glitching constantly even when running well below 11ms

My specs:
GTX1080ti 11GB @ 1746mhz
i5 9400F 2.9GHZ (4.0ghz boost)
16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Motherboard Z390
Official Oculus Link Cable test results @2.6GB/s
Quest 2 device settings to Automatic resolution @ 90Hz

I had the same problems with an RTX2060 so I got a 1080ti (RTX cards are expensive in South Africa so it made more sense for my budget). Also upgraded the motherboard to Z390 to accommodate the new GPU - so I would be open to also upgrading CPU and Ram a little bit if it will solve my problem.

I realise these games are known to be demanding, but I've done tests where I reduce resolutions in Steam VR to as low as possible at roughly 20% and put all graphics on minimum. It's obviously not playable like that but it means the GPU is under zero strain. I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 and have disabled as many background tasks as possible including RGB management software, anti-virus etc. I have followed VR optimisation guides for the games.

No Mans Sky (Microsoft Store version - but opens in Steam VR strangely enough):
Steady 5ms but the bars are all yellow and intermittent glitching occurs every 5-10 seconds. 

Half Life Alyx:
Steady 5ms when indoors the bars are all green but with intermittent glitching yellow/red spikes every 5-10 seconds no matter where I am or how high the FPS. When outdoors it maintains a steady 5ms but bars turn yellow/red and it becomes almost unplayable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I wouldn't go lower than i7-9th gen, i would increase ram to 2 X 16 (3600 mhz).

Also the 1080ti has fairly bad 4k performance to the neighborhood of less than 60 fps as an average.  Realistically quest link favors (2080 super, 3080, or 3090) due to the 2k per eye required.

Capture.JPG 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary

The i5-9400 and 16 gb ram(2666) are the most probable causes.  But if i were you i wouldn't go to 90 hz, i would set it to 72 hz, and adjust the render resolution in the pc app until you have a smooth gameplay.

IOIIOOIO
Explorer

Changing to 72Hz has improved very slightly but still consistently glitching for no apparent reason. Like honestly the graphics look like PlayStation 2 resolutions and ms is as low 3ms. 

Any particular recommendations for CPU and RAM upgrade?

I wouldn't go lower than i7-9th gen, i would increase ram to 2 X 16 (3600 mhz).

Also the 1080ti has fairly bad 4k performance to the neighborhood of less than 60 fps as an average.  Realistically quest link favors (2080 super, 3080, or 3090) due to the 2k per eye required.

Capture.JPG 

IOIIOOIO
Explorer

@PITTCANNA  I upgraded to i7 9700k + 2x8GB 3666mhz RAM and it's a vast improvement.

@IOIIOOIO wrote:

@PITTCANNA  I upgraded to i7 9700k + 2x8GB 3666mhz RAM and it's a vast improvement.

Yeah i would of have expected that, its because the gpu is not waiting for frame data and is probally getting a better through put.