cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preliminary Quest Impressions and Questions

Doc_Ox
Honored Guest
I just received my Quest in the mail yesterday evening and had an hour-ish to take it through it's paces.  I have some impressions and questions following my limited time with and I was hoping to receive feedback (or maybe reassurance) from long-time Quest users on this forum.

I have a launch PSVR unit with a decent catalog of titles.  I have not used any other VR units until receiving my Quest, so all of my comparisons are only applicable to the PSVR.

Leading up to receiving the Quest, my preliminary concern was that it would be under-powered (vs PSVR) due to the Snapdragon processor, and how it would perform on resolution, screen door effect, refresh rate, etc.  I had already started researching the Quest Link and options for a budget gaming PC.  These concerns didn't appear to be the case.  The screen quality and performance seemed great on the few demos I tried out.  Instead, it was a few unexpected concerns I have...

-Field of View.  Maybe it's simply because I'm used to the slightly wider FoV on the PSVR, but the Quest's limited FoV is extremely noticeable for me.  I find myself looking at the black edges of the screen intermittently.  Anyone else notice this, especially if you're also a PSVR user?  If so, does it get less distracting over time?

-Comfort.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the fit of the PSVR, but the Quest is extremely uncomfortable on my face.  I tried raising the goggles, lowering the goggles, tightening it, loosening it, etc.  In only an hour, I already felt like my cheeks and forehead had taken abuse depending on how I had it adjusted.  No adjustment ever felt comfortable enough to use more than 5-10 mins at a time.  Anyone feel the same?  Maybe I just need to watch a few YouTube videos on tips for adjustment.  If you have any tips on adjustment, please let me know.

Couple of minor quibbles:
-Kept dropping wifi for some reason.  We have a mesh router with excellent coverage throughout our house, but I kept getting wifi password errors.  I'll see if this persists.
-Game prices.  I wish the Quest Store had regular weekly sales like PSN.  For what I've found, they happen infrequently (e.g., major holidays).

These next few nights and into the weekend I'll need to use it more to see how big of an issue these concerns linger.  This will determine if I keep it, or stick with my PSVR and then hope for PSVR v2 with the PS5.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated!
2 REPLIES 2

MrBMT
Expert Protege
I've never had/tried a PSVR so can only answer a few of these:
- Comfort: The Quest can be really uncomfortable if you get the strap setup wrong, you need to make sure that you adjust the top strap first so that the back of your headstrap is resting very much on the bottom half of the back side of your head. If it's in the middle or on the top side of your head it'll be uncomfortable. I've seen a lot of people failing to do this and it really does make a lot of difference.
If you still find it too uncomfortable even after doing this, you can look in to third party options to improve this, such as the "AMVR Headband Strap, Gravity Pressure Balance Cushion Leather Foam Pad for Oculus Quest Headset Accessories with Comfortable Soft Sets", "Eyglo Headband Head Strap" or "VR Cover Head Strap Foam Pad for Oculus Quest".
- Wifi Dropping: I've seen a number of people mentioning problems with specific Mesh Wifi systems (I know the Netgear Orbi is one of them). The only workaround for it I've seen so far is setting a dedicated 5Ghz SSID and connecting your Quest to that. I don't experience this with my Mesh Wifi system however (AmpliFi Instant).
- Game Prices: Yeah, unfortunately sales are still only occasional things at the moment.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Another thing to try for long play sessions, about 300g of coins (or similar) tied to the bottom of the back strap, the Quest is quite front heavy and this balances it out nicely. I used some 2ps rolled in a bit of paper, very low tech but works great.