cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Comfort Feedback

Razcrux
Honored Guest

Hello, I wanted to let Quest hardware developers know that I’m one of those people who really wanted to love your product but it presented challenges for me.

I’m 6 foot tall and I wear Large and Extra Large hats cause I have a relatively larger head than average.

The headset is heavy, and even with the addition of your premium band, I was never able to get a comfortable fit.

The net result is that the image would always be a bit blurry, and I would have to press lightly on the unit towards my eyes to get it sharp. My eyes must also be wider apart too because I need to push the focal length to its maximum and I would almost want to move it even a little wider apart than is currently possible on the headset.

The net result is after 30 minutes to an hour, the blurry image starts to give me a headache, and I have to stop using it.

Oh, for reference, I have 20/20 vision and don’t wear glasses or contact lenses.

I would gladly pay more for a higher quality headset, made with higher quality parts, lighter build and a wider maximum focal range. If I am going to “join the metaverse” I need to have something that feels natural, does not cause fatigue, and has a comfortable fit.

For reference, the Valve Index fits me a lot better, doesn’t feel as front-heavy with more even weight distribution, and has a wider maximum focal setting. The result is I get a sharp image, no issues with it falling off my face, and no headaches after 30 minutes.

But even on the index I still would want the focal width to allow me to slide it still a tiny bit more wide. I should not be at the limit of hardware design.

Sadly though I don’t think I can use Valve Index to connect to the Oculus ecosystem? So I’m left with a much better product, but zero interoperability with Oculus then. This artificial segregation of hardware to ecosystems leaves people like me with zero options.

Thanks for your time reviewing my product feedback. I hope this helps development and achieving better universal products and interoperability.

1 REPLY 1

kojack
MVP
MVP

@Razcrux wrote:

Sadly though I don’t think I can use Valve Index to connect to the Oculus ecosystem? So I’m left with a much better product, but zero interoperability with Oculus then. This artificial segregation of hardware to ecosystems leaves people like me with zero options.

Oculus is moving to OpenXR for all future software. OpenXR is cross platform, any game made with OpenXR will run on any OpenXR compatible headset. At least in theory, it's still pretty new.

Oculus, Microsoft and Valve support OpenXR already, there just aren't many games yet (only one I know of is Microsoft Flight Simulator).

So in the future, where you buy from shouldn't matter as much, hopefully.

However right now there's Revive, which lets headsets like the Index run Oculus software. It's not the ideal solution (wrapping one API with another always adds a hit), but it works for some.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

For comfort, yeah, the Quest lines have issues there. I can't stand wearing the Quest 1, way too front heavy. The Quest 2 is better, but still annoying (I only have the default headstrap though). The Rift-S and Rift CV1 are far better, I can use those for hours.

I've seen some interesting (and cheap) headband replacements for the Quest 2 on Aliexpress. I might try one.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2