cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q1/Q2 Link Cable vs Air Link vs Virtual Desktop Current Results - TomC

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I have both Q1 (v30) and Q2 (v29) with a very good pc (i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32Gb ram) and router/wifi setup. I've used Virtual Desktop for +1yr with my Q1.

With my Q2, wireless at 120Hz with Air Link works best best for me because it is 100% compatible with all my Oculus, Steam, and VivePort games. I use 1.4x encoding res, 120mbps fixed bitrate, and 1.2x SS with OTT. This is currently my favourite headset for all gaming. With flight sims I still prefer my Vive Pro w/Etsy lens mod and Index controllers because I get better performance and a larger FOV.

With my Q1 (v30) I still find I get the best results with my official Link cable and 1.0x encoding res (far right on slider) and 1.3x SS with OTT. Wireless with Virtual Desktop works fine but not all games are compatible and sometimes controller tracking and grip release are a bit off (mainly only happens with Oculus and VivePort apps). I'm pretty sure this is because VD is unable to use the official Oculus sdk. Air Link with my Q1 works but I find many visuals are pretty blurry and have more compression artifacts. Maybe this will improve with future updates?

Anyway, just my current results and opinions. Cheers mates.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
7 REPLIES 7

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Just an update since now I'm only using my Q2 and I'm now on v32.  I loaned my Q1 and Link cable to a flight sim buddy about a month ago and he's loving it so I doubt I'll ever see these again, lol!  As a backup I did recently purchase a new VR Cover 5m Premium Link cable (optical btw) and this easily works as well as my old official link cable (2.8Gbps usb speed test).  I actually think that the VR Cover usb-c connectors are higher quality.

One thing I've found is that all updates after v29 seem to result in lower PCVR 120Hz refresh rate performance and I've found it necessary to go back to 90Hz refresh rate.  I let Oculus Support know about this back in v30 and they said they are looking into this.  I was hoping this would be fixed by v32 but this is not the case.  Maybe v33, who knows.  No really big deal for me since 90Hz works fine.

Anyway, my current v32 settings for both Link and Air Link at 90Hz are 1.2x res slider and 1.2x SS and ASW=off with OTT.  With Air Link I'm using dynamic bitrate slider at 200mbps.  With Link I can manually use ODT to set the bitrate at 500mbps but to be honest there is not any significant differences doing so, for me anyway.  Wired with Link does have a little less artifacts in dark areas but not enough to make me want to use this compared to the freedom of being wireless with Air Link.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ABasiero
Explorer

Thanks for your opinions. When you say 1.2 res slider and 1.2 ss, do you refer to the slider inside headset config on the oculus app, and in the 1.2 ss are you refering to ODT¿?

@ABasiero the 1.2x slider refers to the oculus desktop app device graphics settings (refresh rate and slider encoding res). 

The 1.2x SS refers to what I set my global super sampling using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT).  This can also be set with the top option on the Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) = pixel density over ride.  Just remember that you need to restart your Oculus runtime services (easiest just to restart your desktop app) for changes to ODT to take place.

As a quick update now that I have v33, all works even better with the new link sharpening option with ODT.  Best Q2 update so far imho.

lensmandave
Superstar

Thanks for the update Tom. What I don't understand is, why do you apply 1.2 super sampling rather than just upping the Oculus App res to 1.4?

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

@lensmandave  You need to compare your results with all this, depending on your pc specs.

ABasiero
Explorer

So is not the same config the desktop slider than the OTT setting? Is not affecting to the same? 

@ABasiero I only use OTT to set things like global SS, ASW, and then game profiles for different games.  Do not use OTT link settings imho.  Just select disable imho.