cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q2: Link not working

jmchiejr
Explorer
Link *was* working.  Now Link is not working.  I have the official Oculus Link cable, and when I plug it in to the headset from my computer it does charge so it seems as if the cable and ports are working.  48 hours ago Link was fine.  In the last 48 hours I've had a situation where connecting the cable make Link available but every time I would try to connect it would kick be back out to the Quest 2 UI and after a few tries tell me the Link app kept stopped working.  Now the Oculus app on my computer says I don't have a compatible video card, which I have a Radeon RX 480 which is listed as compatible on the Oculus site.  Today I uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much all the software, including my video card drivers, including the Oculus app in Windows, and I did have developer mode on for VD but I turned it off.  Connecting the cable from the PC to the Q2 still makes it charge, so, again, the cable and ports seem to be OK at least on some level.  Something is messed up.

I did submit a Support ticket last night with all the logs and such that they requested (when the main symptom was that Link looked available but crashing), but I thought maybe I'm not the only person having similar issues.  Thanks much in advance for any info or advice provided.
8 REPLIES 8

jmchiejr
Explorer
Okay, I'm back to Oculus recognizing my graphics card properly, but also back to the Link app crashing repeatedly.

crxefx
Expert Protege
Does VD work for you? I don't personally see any reason to use link anymore but, the last few times I tried it has not worked at all. VD has given much better results than link for me. To each their own though, depends on your setup. 

ehjort1981
Protege
Hello,  I have a Radeon RX580 8GB card.  The recent graphics driver update 20.11.2 from AMD messed things up.  I found this solution on another forum.  Someone said to Roll back the graphics card driver to AMD Radeon version 20.09.1 and restart the computer.  I did just that and IT WORKED!!  I had the exact same problems you had, and was about to throw my Quest 2 in the trash.  I now reinstalled Graphics Driver update 20.10.1 and it is still working.  Something is wrong with the new 20.11.2 

I hope this helps.  If you have windows 10, just go through the programs and apps in settings to uninstall, and google search for these old driver versions, and find the one that works for you.  Make sure you find the exact drivers for your card, as these were under the RX 580 section of AMD's website!!
win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.9.1-sep29 (This one also worked)
win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.9.2-sep29 (Haven't Tried)
win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.10.1-oct19 (This one is working for me)

jmchiejr
Explorer
For whomever comes upon this thread with issues similar to mine, please be advised that ehjort1981's advice worked like a charm.  Running an AMD Radeon 480 the AMD web site did not give me access to 20.10.1-oct19 for whatever reason, but it did give me as an option 10.9.1-sep29.  Link works with 20.9.1-sep29.  Link does not play well with 20.11.2.  At all.

Thus endeth roughly 24 hours of troubleshooting.  Hat tip to ehjort1981.

hakulus
Honored Guest
I had a different problem entirely but I'll post my fix in case someone is searching.  When trying to use link I'd just get a gray screen.   Turns out the problem was the VC++ redistributables 2015-2019 was corrupt on my PC.  I uninstalled through control panel and then redownloaded them and it works again.   Took way, way too many hours to figure this out.

ehjort1981
Protege

jmchiejr said:

For whomever comes upon this thread with issues similar to mine, please be advised that ehjort1981's advice worked like a charm.  Running an AMD Radeon 480 the AMD web site did not give me access to 20.10.1-oct19 for whatever reason, but it did give me as an option 10.9.1-sep29.  Link works with 20.9.1-sep29.  Link does not play well with 20.11.2.  At all.

Thus endeth roughly 24 hours of troubleshooting.  Hat tip to ehjort1981.

I have been spreading this on as many places as I can.  I am so happy that it helped you!  I was so pissed.  I worked on it from 8am until 3am thanks giving morning.  I was so angry.  I since purchased a new router, and all the virtual desktop stuff, and have been doing that now.  WOW is that a game changer.

Please, if anyone from AMD sees this, please fix your driver's.

Doglivesmatter7
Honored Guest

So I have a problem is it this exact problem? I plug in the Oculus headset link cable and click accept or whatever then it brings that same message up constantly and disables my connection to the computer it seems to kind of fix it I have to hold it really hard against the headset or it does work but whenever I try to do anything with it say connect to the computer to play computer VR games it kicks me out and then enables again. Like the allow access to data thing and it's saying when I try n access computer mode "disconnected from PC" yet everything is fine then I just got a "make sure your cable is connected to port 3" and it's in the right spot and it is connected. Also I have AMD radeon 470 but connecting worked fine before

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I will leave the instructions for those who were not helped by reinstalling the drivers. I first connected via the beta version of the air link (via wifi, you need to go to the beta in the settings on the PC and on vr and turn on this mode). the desktop loaded, then I exited the air link, disabled this function only in VR and connected the cable. now everything works!

оставлю инструкцию для тех, кому не помогла переустановка драйверов. Я сначала подключился через бету версию air link ( через wifi, надо в настройках на ПК и на vr зайти в бета и включить этот режим). загрузился рабочий стол, потом я вышел из air link, отключил только в VR эту функцию и подключил кабель. теперь все заработало!