cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Charging Issue: Won't charge when on or off, charges fine in bootloader mode

khaosmaou
Protege

Since v42 I have had strange charging issues, and after much testing have determined this to be solely a software issue. I have tested my chargers and cables with a USB tester and meter, they provide up to 2.4 amps of power no issue.

When On or Off, my Quest 2 refuses to charge, and acts like it has a bad battery. Most of the time it takes more than 24 hours to charge my headset.

But, if I boot into the bootloader and charge it, it only takes about 2 hours to fully charge my headset from dead to 100%. This seems to be a software issue, it isn't related to hardware.

I have detailed the issue in a reddit thread since earlier this week, which can be found here. I have "Headset Version" 37314400808900000 according to the Oculus app. 

82 REPLIES 82

flyinj
Explorer

I've been having the same issue for the past month. The headset won't charge past 52-54% when powered off or in sleep. I used to be able to power it off, hold the power and down volume buttons to get a debug menu... and charging it while the debug menu was on the screen charged to 100%. (I read about this workaround on a forum about two weeks ago)

I just tried that now, and holding down the power and volume down now brings up a graphic of a passed out android and it says "no command". It stays on this screen for about 5 minutes then reboots the headset to it's normal boot state. Now I have no way of charging it past 55%.

@flyinj When you see the 'No Command' error, there may be a button not being pushed right when the headset is turned off. (Power or Volume Down) 

When you see that pop up, you can just hold down the power button for like 30-40 seconds and the 'No Command' should go away.

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Not sure what happened, but now it shows the debug screen again when holding power and volume down.

So I am able again to get 100% charge, but ONLY if I shut down the headset then bring up this debug menu. The headset will not charge above 52% if I do not do this.

Has Oculus/Meta at least acknowledged that this is a real bug? Are there steps going forward to solve it? It does seem like a software bug as I'm able to achieve full charging with the headset in debug mode but not when the headset is in normal operation

Only way to get them to acknowledge the issue is to get enough people complaining about it. The bug seems to effect a very small number of users.

Make sure to upvote aka kudo my OP to help get them to notice.

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

From what I've been able to see, this thread here should hold some other TS that could be tested out and also an accepted solution that outlines the RMA procedure in case you'd need to go down that road as well.

Some other solutions are trying out checking for updates in the settings or possibly Factory resetting can be of use as well. We have seen this come up and have talked about it but the most we can do for now is hold out for other possibilities and reach out to the Support team as they might have other available options.

The best way to get a full acknowledgement is have people create a bug report for the engineers to get a glimpse of what's going on. 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

SlightlyImpala53
Explorer

This was the response I received from support in case this helps anyone concerned about a refurbished device and FYI the only troubleshooting steps were a factory reset and trying a new cable...........

First, I totally understand your concerns and I would also feel the same but don't worry. I'll gladly clarify everything for you. 

To start, if both headsets are not charging more than 54% and you've exhausted the troubleshooting steps to fix this, it means that the issue is related to the headset. That being said, according to Warranty Terms, a replacement would be a resolution for it.

At the moment, the V43 update is a coincidence for what you are experiencing. We are monitoring every impact after V43 release and considering the battery situation our team did not identify this as a general issue. We are always looking into further to make sure about every single update and what they could cause. 

In regards of the replacement process as an option to fix the faulty devices, I gently ask for you to take a look into our Limited Warranty terms here. If we determine that a product should be replaced, the replacement may be a new, refurbished, or remanufactured Product. 

Additionally, I'd like to clarify about the refurbished products. The refurbish is basically a new item, as refurbish for us are units that came back to us due to cancel order by both customers and retailers and were never used. Also they are extensively tested by our team of engineers and they are classified as new but because they are not out of factory new, we have to call them "Refurbish". 

What we can do to fix the headset situation is proceed with a replacement process according to the instructions my colleague has sent to you. We are here to guarantee that you'll be able to enjoy your device and have a great experience with both of them. If the same situation is happening with the other Meta Quest 2 you have I'd like to ask for you to confirm the Headset Serial number so we can verify this for you as well.

Once again, your concerns are more than legit because I can imagine how this situation is preventing you to enjoy your devices properly. But don't worry. We are here to make sure that you'll be able to have a product in perfect conditions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. We are at your disposal.

Have a nice day, 

Rip
Honored Guest

Never have I seen a USB device with this many charging issues. I can't believe they raised the price on these as well. NEW BUYER BEWARE, Quest 2 has MAJOR charging issues

khaosmaou
Protege

Due to how annoying this issue has been for me and making it hard for me to enjoy VR, I ended up contacting support today. They had me send them a video of the issue, and am currently waiting to see if an "exception" for RMA can be made since I live in the US and my device is outside the 12 month warranty period.

At this time it really seems like the only way to fix the issue is to get an RMA, so if you are in your warranty period I highly recommend you try contacting support. Here is the video I sent to Oculus support so you can see if you have the exact same issue here at youtube. 

khaosmaou
Protege

I contacted support yesterday (15/9/2022) and after talking with support and sending them a 3 minute video detailing my issue (video here: https://youtu.be/Drmx3EHzi4g). They agreed to do an RMA for my headset which is more than 6 months out of warranty! (I live in the US where we only get a 1 year warranty, EU gets a 2 year warranty.) It took less than 24 hours to get the RMA which really surprised me. Don't be afraid to contact support, just make sure to give them a good video showing your issue. You can watch my above video to see how I shot the video and what I tested (I use a USB meter and loader to show it's not my chargers or cables causing the issue.)

I just have to wait a max of 72 hours for them to email me a shipping label to be able to box up and send in just my headset. Once they get my headset (which is being shipped via FedEx at Metas expense) they will ship out a replacement remanned or refurbed headset within 3-5 business days. I will update this post with more information as thing develop until I get the replacement.

Here is a log of the chat I had with support with my private information redacted for those of you who are wondering what support is like. I am personally very pleased with how they handled this.

(07:38:56) *** #REDACTED# joined the chat ***
(07:38:56) #REDACTED#: Hi, I am having issues with my Quest 2 not charging correctly.
I have contacted support for the issue before but I am still having the issue.
(07:39:58) Sonia R: Hello #REDACTED#, welcome to Meta Store Support and thank you so much for contacting us.
My name is Sonia and I will gladly assist you today.
In case we get disconnected here is our ticket number: #REDACTED#
(07:40:35) Sonia R: I understand that, the Headset is not charging properly
(07:41:07) Sonia R: Can you explain me what happens when you put it on charge ?
(07:42:18) #REDACTED#: The charge light will turn orange and say orange forever.
Even if left plugged in for more than 24 hours the light will not turn green and the battery doesn't go
over about 55%. The strange thing is if I put the device into the bootloader it will charge to 100% with
no issue.
(07:42:56) #REDACTED#: I have a USB meter and tester, and have tested the charger and cable.
Both are working properly 5V 2 amps.
(07:43:47) Sonia R: I understand
(07:43:59) Sonia R: Have you tried any different charger ?
(07:44:50) #REDACTED#: Yes, I have several including the default charger that came with my Quest 2.
It's the same issue with each. I have also tried different usb cables.
(07:46:19) Sonia R: Alright, have you tried to factory reset the headset ?
(07:46:52) #REDACTED#: Yes, I did a full factory reset from the bootloader and the issue persists.
(07:47:46) #REDACTED#: I can verify with a USB meter that the device only pulls 0.027 amps when the light
is orange. If I am in bootloader mode it will charge with 1.400 amps. It can then fully charge from
0% to 100% in about 2 hours.
(07:48:05) Sonia R: I see, in this case I will redirect this situation to our dedicated department
(07:48:18) #REDACTED#: It seems like a firmware/software issue, but I'm not sure. I have reported this
in the Oculus forums and I am not the only person having this exact issue.
(07:48:53) Sonia R: I understand, but as the factory reset did not resolved the issue we can take a look
for replacement
(07:49:41) Sonia R: Please send me the information below:

• Full name
• Shipping address:
- Address- City- ZIP/Post code- State/Province- Country
• Phone number
• Preferred email address to receive labels
• Oculus username and/or email address associated with your account
• Headset serial number: which is located under the right strap and starts with "1WMHH"
• Unit serial number, which can be located on the bottom of the box and starts with "1WMVR"
• Retail receipt or invoice including item, retailer, price, and date - OR - Oculus order number
(07:51:35) #REDACTED#: Okay hang on just a minute and ill type that all in.
(07:52:36) Sonia R: Sure take your time
(07:56:25) #REDACTED#: Full name : #REDACTED#
Shipping address: #REDACTED#
Phone number: #REDACTED#
Preferred email address to receive labels: #REDACTED#
Oculus username and/or email address associated with your account: #REDACTED#
Headset serial number: #REDACTED#
Unit serial number: #REDACTED#
Retail receipt or invoice including item, retailer, price, and date - OR - Oculus order number:
Purchased from Amazon.com on Feb 2nd, 2021. Order number: #REDACTED#
(07:56:33) #REDACTED#: Let me know if you need anything else
(07:57:08) Sonia R: Can I have the invoice of the purchase ?
(07:58:03) #REDACTED#: Yes, no problem hang on
(07:59:00) Sonia R: Sure, take your time
(07:59:24) #REDACTED# uploaded: quest2-invoice.jpg
(08:00:23) Sonia R: Thank you!
(08:00:58) Sonia R: I would also request you to send me a video of the device not charging
(08:01:38) #REDACTED#: Sure. I can make a video showing it not normally charging, and charging correctly
in bootloader mode in the same video if that helps. It is a very strange issue.
(08:02:19) Sonia R: Thank you so much that would be great if you can send me that
(08:02:36) Sonia R: I will send you an email nd you can reply to me
(08:05:42) #REDACTED#: Okay no problem. Ill start recording the video now
(08:06:18) Sonia R: Sure
(08:06:34) Sonia R: Is there anything else I can help you ?
(08:07:19) #REDACTED#: No, you have been a great help. Thank you for your time and understanding!
(08:07:47) Sonia R: You are most welcome!
(08:08:06) Sonia R: I will close the chat now, and I will send you the email
(08:08:15) Sonia R: Talk to you soon in email
(08:08:21) Sonia R: Goodbye!
(08:08:23) #REDACTED#: Thank you
(08:09:00) *** #REDACTED# left the chat ***

And here is the email where they verified the RMA.

Thank you for your recent Meta Quest replacement request. A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) has 
been approved and your RMA reference number is: #REDACTED#.

What to return: Oculus Quest 2 256GB headset RMA
Serial number of the returning item: #REDACTED#

Please follow the instructions in this email to send only the product in the "what to return" section above.
If the item to return is not a specific component (for example, a headset or controller), then you
must return the product in its entirety.

If the instructions are not correctly followed or you return a product with an incorrect serial number,
delays may occur with your replacement.

Preparing your device for return

1. For a headset, perform a factory reset to remove any account data on the device.
2. For controllers: Remove all batteries from the remote (used batteries should not be returned).

Packaging your device for return

1. Use a shipping box large enough to fit your return.
2. Print out the pre-paid return shipping label attached to this email.
3. Attach the shipping label to the outside of your shipping box with clear tape.

Note: If you have multiple return requests and want to send them in one shipment,
you may combine up to a maximum of two headsets returns in a single box along with any accessory
returns you may have.

1. Print out the shipping labels for every single return.
2. Affix one shipping label to the box and put the other shipping labels inside the box with the items.

Shipping and processing

Drop your return off to the nearest FedEx or schedule a free shipment pickup as soon as possible.
It must be returned with our return label and within 30 days from the date of this email.

For FedEx labels: click here to schedule a shipment pickup
For DHL Express labels: click here to schedule a shipment pickup
(Note: the waybill number is on your pre-paid return label)
After it arrives at the return center, please allow up to 5 to 7 business days for it to be reviewed
and for the replacement to be processed. Please note that the replacement product may be a
refurbished item. We’ll notify you via email once your return is completed.

Thank you,

Meta Store Support Team

Tunaface46
Honored Guest

I'm having similar issues. It'll charge in usb boot mode but if I'm charging normally, it won't go past 55

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?