cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Connect to PC | USB Type-C vs USB Type-A 3.1

JourBlock
Honored Guest

Dunno if this is a common question, but i’ve been searching some answer but still not convice me.

To use/connect Oculus Quest 2 on PC, is it better to use Type C to Type C Cable or Type A 3.1 to Type C?
I’m talking in performance(latency), Battery Charge(de-charge or something), and graphic quality(i think this one is pretty obvious).

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rolin_
Protege

Normally I'd say that the Type C to Type C cable was better because of the higher bitrate, but as of firmware version v26, I would recommend a Type C to Type A cable. The reason being that when plugged into a PC, the C to C cable can no longer charge your headset. I don't know what they changed, but if it's connected to a PC with a C to C cable, it cannot charge while in use, on standby, or even when powered off. Type C to A cables still work normally though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tris0
Explorer

Hi, I'm using Type A 3.1 to Type C. Performance is good 1.9-2 Gbs bandwidth. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0879DGZ5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's enough for enjoying Quest 2 with PSVR and also it's keeps a % charge (maybe even charges a little).

Playing HL : Alyx performance and visuals are good, bottle neck is only my PC (Gtx 1660 6gb / Ryzen 3600 4.2ghz / 16gb ram)

Alright thx, the 3.1 to Type C should be enough then.

But still i want to know, does the Type C to Type C one has more advantage or has almost the same speed...
I'mma wait for Type-C to Type-C user 🙂

Rolin_
Protege

Normally I'd say that the Type C to Type C cable was better because of the higher bitrate, but as of firmware version v26, I would recommend a Type C to Type A cable. The reason being that when plugged into a PC, the C to C cable can no longer charge your headset. I don't know what they changed, but if it's connected to a PC with a C to C cable, it cannot charge while in use, on standby, or even when powered off. Type C to A cables still work normally though.

@Rolin_ wrote:

My Q2 on v26 seems to be charging with a C to C cable

Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

Fauxfaust78
Explorer

USB-A to USB-C - every time. Mainly as my pc has 3x 3.1 ports so if one fails I've got two other connection points. The cables (when I searched and bought one a couple months ago) were also a few bucks cheaper. Make sure it's 3.1 Gen 1 (or 3.2 Gen 1 - those naming conventions are completely interchangeable), 5gbps or you'll have issues.