cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Display problem(gray bar)

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Quest 2 with official link cable is not working properly. After a few minutes on Dirt Rally 2.0 the bottom third of the screen becomes divided from the top two thirds and is almost a grayish color. You can see through it and see the game behind it but it's definitely lighter looking. If I exit the game to virtual desktop the issue stays until I reset the headset or remove and replug the link cable. I have installed a new 3080 graphics card and didn't know of this could cause it? Also, I started using a USB C to USB 3 adapter and I don't if the signal passing through that causes it. The cable will pass the Oculus signal test with the adapter. The problem doesn't happen right away some times it takes a few minutes. Any thoughts?

I am using the adapter because the only port that will keep the Quest 2 charged while playing is the 3.0 ports attached directly to the motherboard. If I plug the USB C into my Startech USB C  card I purchased it won't charge while playing. 

28 REPLIES 28

seb0077
Honored Guest

i have the same problem.

just exactly as described by the other users.

exiting oculus link and reconnecting works, but of course is not an option!

hanin441
Honored Guest

So I've only tried once but I noticed my headset got extremely hot during gameplay and that kind of lines up with it charging and playing and such at the same time. So I had an extremely small fan and just aimed it right at the fan for a couple seconds to cool it down a bit and the bar disappeared for me for a little while. Not completely gone but definitely dimmed. I've only tested once so it's not a fix I guarantee but maybe your just overheating? During dirt point a nice small fan at the headset and see if it helps. I'll let you know if I see some consistent results!

seb0077
Honored Guest

My headset does not get warmer than it should, and i always have a small fan pointing at me, 50cm in front of my face. So this is not a solution.

shane.biagiarelli
Honored Guest

I also have had this problem in multiple games. I've noticed it occurs badly when the game is hanging or the cpu is taking a load spike, but even then it will still sometimes happen when the game is seemingly running great. I've heard that it has something to do with a video decoding bug when using the link cable, I assume it might be a firmware problem in the headset, but that's pure speculation. 

Teimotronic
Honored Guest

Any update?

FantomasXX
Honored Guest

nope 😞

still the same behaviour.

TonyBamanaboni
Honored Guest

also having the same issue mainly with vr chat tried factory resetting the headset no change ive found that it might have something to do with the oculus dash not being loaded properly while using steam vr because i go in to desktop mode though steam vr focus the oculus app for a bit and it fixes the issue temporally. it could also have something to do with how the video is compressed before being sent to the headset because for me i don't get the issue with virtual desktop or alvr 

FantomasXX
Honored Guest

it has nothing to do with steam vr.

i usually do not use steam vr, but the issue is on my device as well.

it also plays no role if i connect to my pc via airlink or cable. problem happens in both cases.

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

If it tends to happen with our PC software too, there is always a possibility that some piece of hardware needs an update. I can't really pinpoint the issue myself, but if you can get your logs (see below) and head to support, They'll be able to look into it and see if there's any internal issues 1 on 1. 

Log steps:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.
Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling