cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 PCVR stutter (Alyx/Boneworks) (Link cable, AirLink, VirtualDesktop)

kkthxbye1
Level 2

The problem:

Roughly every 1-2 seconds, there's a small judder/stutter in PCVR games when moving. It's almost like a previous frame is rendered again. It is very noticable in alyx and boneworks using the joystick to move left/right and looking at a static object. I assume people playing with other movement types wont notice it easily.

It does not show:

• On steamvr frame graph
  • On any of the oculus debug tool performance overlays, performance is rock solid on all graphs.
  • On the desktop window fro boneworks/alyx
  • On the steamvr vr view

Only shows in headset.

It occurs:

• In alyx using steamvr
  • In boneworks using steamvr
  • In boneworks from the oculus store

I have tried two PC's:

PC#1

• Intel i7 8700K
  • 16 GB 3000mhz CL14 RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 1080

PC#2

• AMD Ryzen 5800x
  • 32 GB 3600mhz CL16 RAM
  • Nvidia RTX 3070

Most testing has been done on PC#2, but the experience is exactly the same.

What I have tried:

• Official link cable, airlink and virtual desktop
  • Factory reset headset
  • Fresh windows install with only oculus client and steamvr installed, nothing else at all
  • Disable game mode
  • Turn off super sampling in steamvr (pretty much all combinations of steamvr/oculus settings)
  • Turn off ASW in oculus debug tool
  • Turn down all settings in game and run at lowest resolution in both oculus and steamvr. This in turn ran alyx with a frametime of about 1 ms.
  • Raised priority of all combinations of involed processes (oculus server, vrserver, the game etc.)
  • Used all combinations of the common alyx launch options.
  • Disable game mode in windows
  • Set the CPU/GPU profile to level 4 via. sidequest.
  • 72hz, 80hz, 90hz, 120hz (vd)
  • More stuff I forgot probably

Note:

• I get 2.5 gbps on the USB test
  • There is no delay using airlink or vd. VD shows no network latency spikes. I run 2.5 gbps LAN to a wifi 6 router.
  • Nvidia drivers are the newest.

I have read countless of topics complaining about steamvr/alyx/boneworks stuttering.

My first thought is:

It might be the nvidia driver thing:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped...

However it seems like it should be solved unless you run GPU monitoring software, which a fresh windows install obvously doesn't have. Odds are that this might not be the case, but everyone with new nvidia drivers should experience it, and some people claim to have a completely smooth pcvr alyx/boneworks experience? Are they just not using smooth locomotion and not noticing it?

My second thought is:

My headset is either broken or the stutter is a software error, either with the oculus compositor/encoder or the decoder on the headset. Again here, other people should experience it.

Third thought:

It's just a general thing with quest 2 and people just don't notice it? I experience no issues at all with native headset games.

I have only had the quest 2 for a couple of months and while I've enjoyed native games (mostly beatsaber), it has been a huge dissappointment having so many issues with PCVR.

Anyone have any advice at all? I'm about at that point where I consider returning it as defective.

If you want to test it, just boot up alyx or boneworks, look at a static object fairly close to you and move left to right to left continuously (smooth locomotion). You should see a small stutter every once in a while.

5 REPLIES 5

XBloodyWolF
Level 3

Had the same issue with my PC. Running a EVGA RTX 3070 ultra. Both Half life Alyx, and Boneworks micro stutter.. using Quest 2 with link cable,Air link and VD.. thought maybe it was my RIG, so I purchased a Alienware M17 R4 with RTX 3070... guess what all games still stutter! Tried 2 different Quest 2 headsets, and about 3 link cables.. all stutter... I returned the Laptop back to Bestbuy... I have now giving up on trying to play PCVR. Tried about ever settings known to man..... nothing worked, and I dug deep on the web... what a waist of time! 

DukeReds
Level 2

same exact issue, tried same exact solutions, nothing... I'm just going to retire from VR for a few months until more oculus software and nvidia driver updates get rolled out, maybe it will get fixec (it's clearly a software issue on their part)

ActuelVirtuel
Level 2

Same problem. Did you try with a different headset to see if it’s related with quest/oculus?

Having the exact same problem on my quest 2, it only happens with steamvr tho, games on the oculus library are fine. Happening with both VD and air link.

I don't have a different headset to test sadly. The problem is pretty widespread though, so it being a hardware error seems unlikely.