cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 PCVR stutter (Alyx/Boneworks) (Link cable, AirLink, VirtualDesktop)

kkthxbye1
Explorer

The problem:

Roughly every 1-2 seconds, there's a small judder/stutter in PCVR games when moving. It's almost like a previous frame is rendered again. It is very noticable in alyx and boneworks using the joystick to move left/right and looking at a static object. I assume people playing with other movement types wont notice it easily.

It does not show:

• On steamvr frame graph
  • On any of the oculus debug tool performance overlays, performance is rock solid on all graphs.
  • On the desktop window fro boneworks/alyx
  • On the steamvr vr view

Only shows in headset.

It occurs:

• In alyx using steamvr
  • In boneworks using steamvr
  • In boneworks from the oculus store

I have tried two PC's:

PC#1

• Intel i7 8700K
  • 16 GB 3000mhz CL14 RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 1080

PC#2

• AMD Ryzen 5800x
  • 32 GB 3600mhz CL16 RAM
  • Nvidia RTX 3070

Most testing has been done on PC#2, but the experience is exactly the same.

What I have tried:

• Official link cable, airlink and virtual desktop
  • Factory reset headset
  • Fresh windows install with only oculus client and steamvr installed, nothing else at all
  • Disable game mode
  • Turn off super sampling in steamvr (pretty much all combinations of steamvr/oculus settings)
  • Turn off ASW in oculus debug tool
  • Turn down all settings in game and run at lowest resolution in both oculus and steamvr. This in turn ran alyx with a frametime of about 1 ms.
  • Raised priority of all combinations of involed processes (oculus server, vrserver, the game etc.)
  • Used all combinations of the common alyx launch options.
  • Disable game mode in windows
  • Set the CPU/GPU profile to level 4 via. sidequest.
  • 72hz, 80hz, 90hz, 120hz (vd)
  • More stuff I forgot probably

Note:

• I get 2.5 gbps on the USB test
  • There is no delay using airlink or vd. VD shows no network latency spikes. I run 2.5 gbps LAN to a wifi 6 router.
  • Nvidia drivers are the newest.

I have read countless of topics complaining about steamvr/alyx/boneworks stuttering.

My first thought is:

It might be the nvidia driver thing:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped...

However it seems like it should be solved unless you run GPU monitoring software, which a fresh windows install obvously doesn't have. Odds are that this might not be the case, but everyone with new nvidia drivers should experience it, and some people claim to have a completely smooth pcvr alyx/boneworks experience? Are they just not using smooth locomotion and not noticing it?

My second thought is:

My headset is either broken or the stutter is a software error, either with the oculus compositor/encoder or the decoder on the headset. Again here, other people should experience it.

Third thought:

It's just a general thing with quest 2 and people just don't notice it? I experience no issues at all with native headset games.

I have only had the quest 2 for a couple of months and while I've enjoyed native games (mostly beatsaber), it has been a huge dissappointment having so many issues with PCVR.

Anyone have any advice at all? I'm about at that point where I consider returning it as defective.

If you want to test it, just boot up alyx or boneworks, look at a static object fairly close to you and move left to right to left continuously (smooth locomotion). You should see a small stutter every once in a while.

72 REPLIES 72

CaptBustaNooob
Honored Guest

I'm having the exact same issue.

I'm running a:

2080 Super

i7-9700k @3.6GHz
32 GB RAM

I experience micro stutter when moving when I'm playing Boneworks on Onwards on SteamVR. I'm linked via official cable. 

aspect130
Honored Guest

That’s why I think Index is still best. Unless I want VR away from home..

What known issues are there with the official Link cable?

Quest 2 | 2700X | 6600 XT

ghodzy
Protege

I noticed this in november 2020, and ive been struggling with this all this time, I am at this point completely out of ideas on what else to try, tried every possible suggestion and nothing makes this go away, for some updates VD worked a little bit better then Air Link/Link but lately they are both displaying the same behavior in terminal of this annoying problem, it really takes you out of the experience and makes you want to stop playing due to how jarring it feels. In some games the performance is completely rock solid when this occurs,  in other games you can see the fps drop from 90 to 87 or 72 to 69 when this frameskip ocurrs. I've swapped every piece of hardware in my PC besides my GPU (RTX 2060) and nothing changes, it is either a defective headset,  or software problems.

andrew.tadstone
Protege

The biggest problem is Windows 11 and check the options in oculus debug tool.

This has absolutely zero to do with Win 11, and the Oculus Debug tool does nothing for this issue, this has been going on since November 2020 for me. this has nothing to do with Performance per se, it appears to be either an encoder issue, Oculus software issue or defective Q2s for the people affected.

Stutter Effect its a big problem with Virtual Desktop, Airlink and Oculus Link. Virtual Desktop have a Win11fix for this Problem. Oculus say,  the works not with Windows 11.  you see the stutter problems in Quest 2 discord and reddit.

I appreciate the effort buddy but trust me, this has nothing to do with those problems, i know what i am talking about, this issue is completely seperate from the Win 11 problems. this is something unrelated to framerate and Windows, i have been troubleshooting this for a year now, on both win 10 and 11, but once again, thanks for the effort of informing about the current win 11 problems.

andrew.tadstone
Protege

I have same technical requirements and I have not this  problem with win10 and VD or Airlink. Check your options in oculus debug tool, the drivers from Nvidia and check your Wifi channels  and your cable network.  I have a AVM 7590 Router and a Wifi6 AP Huawai AC3000 (only for Q2) over Gigabit LAN. this hardware make not problems with En/Decoding over Nvidia.  

I have tried everything you can think of, different routers, both wifi 5 and 6, ethernet cat 6, i have tried every single setting in the ODT, i even used OTT for a while, tried setting it to high priority, tried on a fresh install of win 10 and 11, tried every possible driver from 440 to 490 range, tried different rooms, different lighting, different tracking frequency, factory resetting the quest 2 atleast 10 times, ive been trying different updates from Oculus and VD since november 2020, tried both Air link PTC and steam vr beta, i have swapped mobos, cpu, ram, psu, SSD, tried it on an NVME, i always use a dedicated router with only 5ghz band enabled, i have toggled every single setting in the NVCP both global and per game basis. so once again, as i said, this has nothing to do with ODT or Win 10/11, it is either faulty Nvidia Drivers for my specific setup, or some problem with the encoder/decoder, either GPU or Q2. i have already tried working with both Oculus support and Nvidida support but both are clueless and just give the same generic advices and tips.