cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of March 15th, 2021.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue blocking the overlay keyboard from displaying in third-party apps where multiple fields are present in a form.

Known Issues

• Some users may see an error message, “System Alert Error” related to the cooling fan. This error message is false and the headset is working as it should. Users should click out of the error message and continue to use their headset as normal.
88 Comments
Geesey
Honored Guest

Yeah, you guys are lucky and I would wish to not have problems but unfortunately I do and I have to do what I can since I can't just go back an update or two. Support is usually not very helpful in these situations and just resort to easy/scummy routes. If oculus would actually listen to feedback as soon as it happens, this would all be a different story and your earlier assumptions would maybe be correct. And I wouldn't assume most people aren't running into issues. Most people that own and use the headset aren't like us that try to make our voices heard by anyone.

Spyder17
Expert Protege

I have a Quest 1&2, Vive and Vive Pro and have never had an issue with any of them until now.  I have no issues with link of Virtual Desktop as I have the PC and WiFi to run them.  Version 27 broke something though and there are quite a few who have reported issues (also seems like Oculus is aware of problems). In this instance I and a bunch of others are "unlucky" thanks to Oculus.  Just hope that you don't find yourself in the same situation down the road.

chert1024VR
Protege

The best thing Oculus could do in this situation is to allow downgrades of both the headset firmware and the PC app so that we can have the choice to solve these problems on our own. Not one version of firmware and PC app will flawlessly work with all the myriad of PC systems out there.

In this way, if the current versions of the firmware and app don't correctly work with your PC and headset, then you can always go back to older versions which do.

Dadbart
Protege
As an update. I was able to eventually get it working for now. I found that Guardian would work fine everywhere in my house except my usual preferred spot, which is semi-prone on my bed. I did clear history when it stayed enabled. Also I was setting it to stationary. I found that I could go all the way to the edge of the bed, facing the same direction, and it would work. I moved 6" at a time toward my usual spot by the headboard and about halfway up the bed it would stop working, turning it off and back on each time I moved. So I tried it again, this time leaving it on and letting it prompt me to setup Guardian as it moved out the previous one. Doing it that way I was able to get all the way to my preferred spot and have it stay enabled. I restarted and shut down about 10 times after this and it continued to work.

So at the moment I am working again with Guardian. However, something is obviously wrong that I had to go through all of that to get it working again. The problem started immediately after updating to v27, literally after the restart from the update. It worked moments (and months) before that update.

Regarding all the fluster since my last post. Just because someone does not experience it does not mean they don't have a bug in the software. In this case it appears to be very specific to how it is used for location and position. So many may not ever hit it, but others will. It is clearly widespread enough to know that it is a bug as opposed to "user error". My last communication with support leads me to believe they know this and are working on a fix.
Dadbart
Protege

Based on the derogatory terms you used for people having trouble I can see you consider yourself a high end expert. Would that not be more valuable used in helping others than simply deriding people for using forums exactly as intended? I'm sure you understand that just because some do not encounter a bug in their particular usage scenario does not mean no bug exists.

In my case I got past it with some lengthy trouble shooting and trial and error (none of which are found in your trouble shooting link). Guardian only, I rarely use link so can't say about that part. As far as your comment about underpowered PC and link, if it worked fine until right after the update and then performance was halved suddenly I'm not sure where you get that from,

Overnight, support indicated they are working on a fix and hope to get back in 3-5 days.

Dadbart
Protege

I actually got a response overnight from support indicating they are working on a solution and hope to get back in 3-5 days. See my response on how I fixed, at least for the moment, my Guardian issue.

nledevil
Explorer

Until the link issues are resolved, you can always use virtual desktop.

Spyder17
Expert Protege

Seem like there is something wrong with the guardian memory or cache.  I can be in one space that I have used for months and constantly get the lost tracking.  I can move just outside this area and I am able to create a new guardian and have no issues.  Even have one play space that I created sitting down (Stationary Guardian) which has the tracking issue.  When I stand up I can create a new guardian as room scale with no issues.

Spyder17
Expert Protege

I did find a workaround.  If I move just outside of the play area where I don't have tracking, I can create a new larger guardian that included the original.  I can then move back into the original area an adjust it back to the original.  Definitely something wrong with their software (not user error).  Don't know if this will keep working, but for now I was able to use my Play space that I have been using form months.

akimotobass
Honored Guest

I also have this problem, so what can be certain is the tragedy caused by this update?

Spyder17
Expert Protege

Got a response back from Oculus support so hopefully will get a fix soon: 

"We have received number of reports with the same concern regarding Guardian on v.27. We are aware of this matter and our Engineering team is currently working on a fix on this.

Thank you for your understanding, and hopefully this will be resolved on the next update."

Dadbart
Protege

Yep, very similar to the response I got Sunday night from support

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

I just got V27 on my quest 1 and the tracking seems to be much better at the moment.  I don't have stuttering in my right display and the passthrough is a lot smoother.  I am quite disappointed that the couch option isn't there; I was looking forward to that.  I haven't tried link yet but I'll update once I do.

EDIT:  I plugged in and tried link; everything works fine.  I played a few rounds of gun game in pavlov, no stuttering and everything looks great and runs smooth.  I am having issues with the USB test though, it says my cable is around 375 mbps instead of the 1.5 gbps it used to.  Seeing that link is working without a problem I think it's just an issue with the test reporting and not the actual link cable or software.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

This is even worse than V26, which introduced display glitches (bottom third of the screen gets bright and pixelated) with Link. Now I have display glitches, random disconnects and the bandwidth through Link is reduced to 600-something Mbps. To add insult to injury the headset automatically goes into passthrough mode if turned on whilst wearing it.

But hey, they did introduce the couch. Because priorities.

I'm going to give support one last chance before returning the Quest 2 and getting my money back. The price difference to the Reverb G2 is looking very reasonable right now.

Dadbart
Protege

G2 tends to have a lot of issues too. Although most of them turn out to be PC related as opposed to the HMD itself. The HMD does have some cable issues, but not for the majority. USB tends to be the biggest sticking point for the G2. Just be aware, you may find you have as much trouble as with the Q2 as far as getting it to work reliably. Mine is good now, but I went through weeks of trouble shooting to get there.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

From what I've seen issues with the G2 are related to AMD's USB-implementation. Are you aware of any other issues?

Dadbart
Protege

Not just AMD. AMD 5xx series boards have a USB issue related to PCIe 4.x that should be fixed soon with a BIOS update. Many others without that chipset have had issues too, including me. I have an Intel chipset. In my case it was a few things. One was letting my PC go to sleep, that is a no no for the USB demands of the G2, HP even recommends turning it off. I also had a fan issue on my RTX 2070 which caused overheating only when using the G2. I also had power issues and had to add a powered USB hub and upgrade my PSU. I fixed all my issues, but it took a while of troubleshooting to get there and reliable. None of this caused a problem with my Odyssey+.

The G2 is very demanding, so if you have underlying issues with your PC they will almost certainly come out with it. Controller support is very lacking as well. It is improving with each WMR for SteamVR update, but still many games cannot use the G2 controllers. It is great once you get past all the issues, but if the reason to get it is because there are some current software issues with the Q2, I would say that may end up being a mistake. Q2 will get fixed, probably next update. G2 may take you weeks or it may work right out of the box. Visit the Reverb reddit and see what people are reporting first. It's cable is very finicky and if not very tightly plugged in will not work. Also seems to be a lot of people reporting the need to get a cable replacement, which takes weeks to months right now. One last negative for the G2 is the support is the worst I have ever dealt with.

Now on the plus side it is a lot better for resolution and clarity, though a much smaller sweet spot. That can be improved with mods and positioning, again some effort needed. I can leverage the power of my PC and its graphics sub-system for games. Graphics in games are much better as a result because they don't have to be dumbed down for the lesser GPU in a mobile device like one dev did for cross play compatibility, seriously enraging the PC users. VD works well to use the PC for games on the Q2, but it is reduced resolution because the Q2 has a lower resolution. It is very comfortable to me. It comes with a very long cable reducing the need to find an extension that works without USB power degradation.

rocas.spb
Explorer

Please mention the 72hz issue for Link in the original post. It's hard to deny that we have it.

panthercz
Explorer

Hi, today was my Q1 updated from v25 to v27. I seems, that works normally.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Dadbart, thanks for the info. I doubt I'll have any issues with overheating or power, and I don't let the PC go to sleep. What would worry me about the G2 is the connector. Seems to me it's designed to break after warranty runs out (my assumption is always that manufacturers who make **bleep**ty connectors do it on purpose).

I doubt Oculus will get these issues fixed. So far I've only seen regression since I got the Q2 in december. Now I've just been introduced to the 72Hz issue. Meanwhile, support is going around in circles repeating the questions they asked weeks ago. But hey, at least they are responding very politely. I have to give them that. If only politeness could resolve the issues...

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@AlexiTQ  Just in case you don't already know.  You need to fully power down your PC, then restart for it to complete Oculus software updates.  Same goes for your Quest.  Do not leave either in sleep/hibernate.  I believe that the Q2 will only show 72Hz if you are using usb2.0.  Check you pc app device settings to check this.  Good luck.

robgordon76
Explorer

V27 has broken link. Now stick at 72hz. This was the same with the beta so I dropped out of beta. Now you have pushed this major bug into final release!? what????

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

@TomCgcmfc The Quest reboots to install the update and I don't believe the Oculus software needs a reboot - it restarts the services automatically. Either way, I have rebooted both headset and PC several times. 
The 72Hz issue is not due to using USB 2.0. It's an issue with the Oculus software. Installing a previous version of the software fixes it. Bandwidth is still gimped though (getting ~650Mbps whereas I got 1.9Gbps before the update). Apparently these issues have been reported in the beta, but Oculus ignored it an rolled out V27 anyway. 

chert1024VR
Protege

If anybody is currently in contact with Oculus Support, just tell them to allow us to downgrade the headset firmware from V27 to V26. Most or maybe even all of these problems will be resolved.

robgordon76
Explorer

Nope. I still have 72hz. Full PC restart, full repair on v27, full headset power down and restart. Cable test 1.5gbps at USB. Set to 80 or 90hz............ I get 72hz. Oculus you suck! This was noted in the v27 beta, but well, you pushed it out anyway. 

robgordon76
Explorer

I've asked. We can hope.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've updated the Desktop-App from 26.1.0.41.502 to 27.1.0.47.507 this morning.

Everything work's as it should... noch Problems with USB/Link/refresh Rates (tested 80/90Hz).

USB connection test shows USB3/1.8GBit as with v26... before it was 2.7GBit with original link cable.

Ah... the firmware of the Quest2 updates after about 6 days to v27... didn't last 12 days as expected 😉

@people wih problems: did you really update the oculus drivers within the update of the app?

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

@Anonymous Have you verified the refresh rate with OculusDebugTool?

And yes, I've updated the driver and iirc the software forces the driver update to work. Downgrading to a previous version fixes the 72Hz, so it's clearly an issue with the Oculus software. An issue Oculus has been made aware of before rolling out the V27 release, yet ignored.

chert1024VR
Protege

Main branch of the Oculus PC App has now been updated to V27 (27.1.0.47.507).

Now, we need the hotfix for the V27 headset firmware so that hopefully all of these issues will finally be resolved.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

You may or may not notice hotfixes with Quest v27.  For example when mine first updated it did not have the experimental Sofa option.  Then it appeared a few days later.

chert1024VR
Protege

Already had the couch option for almost 2 weeks now with my V27 headset firmware (27.0.0.45.507). But I'm still currently experiencing the 72hz bug. I think there is a newer hotfix on the way to fix this bug and others as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Have you verified the refresh rate with OculusDebugTool?"

No... I'm using OVR Metrics Tool (from Oculus) to show that in the HMD as an overlay:
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/ovr-metrics-tool/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomCgcmfc 
These are "features" which can be turned on/off remotly from Oculus.... at any time.

Changing the software can only be done per update. 

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

Maybe I'm missing something in the settings but holding the oculus button in apps doesn't reset the view any more.  I have to either go to the home screen or the oculus home while using link to re-center the view and even then a lot of the time it only centers it in those environments and not the apps.

deKaro303
Protege

After the update to Build 27, my bandwidth went down from 2.7 to 1.4!!!
Why? What happened and how to fix this?

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8x 3.90GHz So. AM4 BOX
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (USB 3.1 Gen2, latest BIOS and chipset drivers)
Graphic Card: XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 Core (12GB) [Model RX-67XTYLUDP]
Memory: G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 32GFX (CL14-14-14-34) [F4-3200C14D-32GFX]
M.2 SSD: Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@deKaro303  Mine did something similar, 1.8 with v26 down to 1.2 with v27.  Went to 2.1 when I got v28 on both my PC and Q1 yesterday.  To be honest I cannot tell any differences.

deKaro303
Protege

That's very strange! No official statement about this from Oculus?
I will make some tests today how the lower bandwidth effects the gameplay and hope to get V28 soon. 

deKaro303
Protege

Got the V28 Update early this morning. Now everything look good again 😀
bandbreite.JPG