cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of April 19th, 2021.

Bring Your Desk into VR

• We’ve added the ability to place a virtual desk on your real desk to use while you’re in VR. You can see and use this Desk in the Oculus Home environment.
  • We recommend staying seated while using the Desk.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Bring Your Desk Into VR to enable your virtual desk.

Pair Your Physical Keyboard with your Quest 2

• We’ve added the ability to pair a Logitech K830 keyboard to your Oculus Quest 2. When you pair your keyboard to your Quest 2, you’ll see a 3D representation of your hands and keyboard within VR for easy text entry and system navigation while in your Home environment.
  • To begin using your K830 keyboard with Quest 2, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Pair next to Bluetooth Pairing.

Oculus Air Link

• Oculus Air Link allows you to discover and pair your Oculus Quest 2 headset to your Oculus-ready PC over a secure Wi-Fi network.
  • You can opt in to this experimental feature from the Experimental Features section of Settings. Follow the instructions on our support site to set up Oculus Air Link.
  • Note: Air Link is part of v28 but it requires that both your headset and PC be running v28 software. That means we’ll be unlocking Air Link once both Quest and PC v28 releases are rolled out, which will happen soon - but you won’t see Air Link just yet, so stay tuned.

120Hz Support

• 120Hz support is now available on Oculus Quest 2 in an experimental setting. Developers can now ship apps that run at 120Hz, allowing you to experience a higher refresh rate for any app that supports 120Hz when you enable this in Settings.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, select Experimental Features, then select 120Hz.
  • Keep in mind, it’s up to the developer to provide support for 120Hz. While there aren’t any apps that support 120 Hz just yet, people who turn on this setting will experience 120 Hz performance in apps that choose to support it in the future.
  • This feature may affect battery usage, headset temperature and the visual quality of some system features.

Bug Fixes

• Tracking Improvements
    • Fixed issue where in certain environments, some customers experienced tracking loss.

Please note, the Experimental Features section includes features that are still being developed, so you may encounter anything from minor issues to app crashes.

114 Comments
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LameDuckWarrior You def got the Ignorant part down pat, lol!  Sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess.  If you actually get the same results with a poor wireless setup and your current wired Link then I think your Link setup might be very poor as well.  Either that, or you have a potato PC.  Who knows, and who cares?

Sorry but I have a problem with newbie wireless people like you posting incorrect setup options/results.   Please follow the Air Link setup guide posted in the first post in this thread.

https://support.oculus.com/airlink

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

You really want a ban don't you?

Fangzhou
Adventurer

Found the bug that makes airlink latency extremely high. 

Just open OculusDebugTool, change Encode Bitrate to 0. To be safe I also changed Encode Resolution Width to 0. Then restart Oculus Service, Airlink will work as expected. 

Gotmilkman
Explorer

I got the v28 update today. So I reset the experimental features and turned on airlink. (Both on the quest and the pc software) Now when I click on air link on the quest headset and click pair, the launch button will not light up and the settings menu either disappears or is blank/frozen. Anyone having this issue?

chert1024VR
Protege

Also had that issue. You have to enable Network Discovery in your Win 10 network settings. That will enable the Quest 2 to pair with your PC. After this, the headset will always be paired with your PC just as long as Air Link is enabled in both the headset and PC app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't change the render resolution on the quest?

There will be a markable difference in quality, if you do...

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you change the "encode resolution width" to "0" you'll reduce the rendering quality on the device.

I wrote that before (beside the problem with the "encode bitrate" ;-):

- Default Air Link HMD resolution: 1440x1536 (i.e. 2880x1538) - "encode resolution witdh" @ 0

- Tuned Air Link HMD resolution: 1840x1920 (i.e. 3680x1920) - "encode resolution witdh" @ 3664

chert1024VR
Protege

Yes. I didn't change the refresh rate and render resolution in the Oculus PC app for Air Link. It is the same settings I use with the Oculus Link cable. My encode resolution width (in the Debug Tool) has always been set to "0" even when I was still using the Oculus Link cable. Never bothered changing it since there is already a render resolution setting on the PC app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should bother 🙂

Confirm that with OVR Metrics Tool directly from Oculus Developer Hub.

Ayameda
Explorer

Why haven't you solved the passthrough mode being the only visible thing when you start the headset since your last update? Oculus still doesn't take responsibility for their own mess, and refuse to answer any  support tickets.

Gotmilkman
Explorer

That did it, thank you!

Cygnos
Protege

I have v28 on my Quest v28 on PC

But still no airlink or 120hz option i only have the airlink option in the PC app under beta settings.

Rebooted my headset many times, and that did not work for me.

jhaskins75
Honored Guest

I received a Full refund for my quest 2 which had a serious issue with Tracking Lost and having to do a factory reset multiple times to get it to function so I am asking if the new released units will have the v28 update installed that fixed the tracking lost issue before I repurchased the Quest 2 again.

jhaskins75
Honored Guest

I read a article which said the v28 resolved the tracking lost issue. I hope so as I plan to reorder a new unit as they gave me a full refund for my first purchased that had the faulty v27 update

chert1024VR
Protege

You have to reset to default the Experimental settings in your Q2 headset. After the headset reboots, you should now see Air Link and 120hz options.

Cygnos
Protege

That didn’t work for me.

chert1024VR
Protege

Bummer. That's what I did for those options to appear.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

I really hate how updates get rolled out. My desktop software updated days ago and I even have the Air Link option, but my Quest 2 is still stuck on release 27.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

It is a bit of a culture shock for me too.

Just always remember the hardest part was waiting on the developers update overall.

Never the "rollout" LOL and this one is particularly weird in that once the update hits, the things IN the update are themselves "rolled" out.

Spyder17
Expert Protege

I had the tracking lost issue after the v27 update.  Was told by support it was a software problem, not hardware.  I now have v28 and (keeping my fingers crossed) haven't had the issue since updating.  Also have the 120hz and Airlink options.  Have to reboot the headset to get and make sure that you turn on the AirLink option under Beta setting on the PC software.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

My Quest finally updated. Air Link works really well. It's a huge improvement over Virtual Desktop for me. The only issue I have with it is a slight audio delay. It's not significantly noticeable in most games, but it's quite noticeable in Beat Saber. Hopefully that's something that can be addressed by the time it stops being an experimental feature.

benville
Honored Guest

So no sign of "Bring your desk into VR" as stated in the patch notes?

I had v28 on PC and headset days ago but no Air Link or 120hz until I did a Factory Reset of the headset.  Even then, still no option for the desk.

Cygnos
Protege

It worked for me after factory reset and resetting the experimental features.

ThePixelCowboy
Protege

I have all the features except for the light theme and the desk. Has anyone gotten this two?

Dawid_21
Honored Guest

I cannot find the airlink option, anyone care to help?

Beowulf22
Explorer

My experience so far with the Air Link.

Headset v28 update: Done

Headset Experimental Features, Air Link enabled: Done

PC App v28 update: Done

PC App Beta AirLink feature enabled: Done

PC App / Device: Quest 2 and Touch (Active and Connected): Green Check marked

Headset / Settings / Quick Actions: Oculus Air Link, "My Laptop": Connected

I click on "Launch" (under Air Link popup box, still in the Headset)

Get three dots *** for about 5 seconds . . .

and the headset kicks me back to the main Quest lobby (not the Rift one).

If I check back the Oculus Air Link headset status it momentary says "Not connected", but almost immediately turns back to "Connected" without me doing anything. PC App, on the other hand, first shows "Active", then briefly "Not connected" (when it kicks me to the lobby), and then back to "Active".

On the PC App under notifications I got several errors:

(White circle icon) "Oculus isn't working correctly. Click here to check our support article".

(Greyed circle icon) "We can't find your headset. Please connect your headset."

(White circle icon) "Oculus link stopped working. Plug your headset back into your computer if you want to re-enable Oculus Link".

Clicking on the first notification brings me to a generic help page, nothing specific about the Air Link (asking me to restart things, to check the graphics card). Which I did. I rebooted the PC, redownloaded and reinstalled Oculus PC App. Rebooted the headset (pressing the power button). I have the latest drivers: for both graphic cards.

The problem is always the same: basic Air Link connection is fine, but any attempt to Launch breaks the connection and I can't get any further.

My laptop is Asus TUF Gaming A15: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics 2.90 GHz, RAM 16GB, SSD 1TB, NVIDIA RTX 2060 with 6GB, Windows 10 20h2.

I have a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) router with both my Oculus Quest 2 and my laptop being on the same 5 GHz network. No traffic, port, protocol restrictions on my router for the internal network (I can do anything connecting any devices, Xbox Series X, SMB file access etc).

The hardware wise, my setup meets the Air Link requirements. But, I can only connect via Air Link, but not fully Launch it. I don't know what else can be done. Obviously, this is still beta, and sort of expected to have issues.

Thank you for reading!

Tiger_
Honored Guest

This maybe due to your router. Some router may have problem like high used or poor build. That just 2 of the thing. Try going to same room with router with your laptop and quest 2 and see if that help. If that don't work. Make sure your laptop can run it by link to quest 2. Let me know if that help or not

Beowulf22
Explorer

No, this is not the router. I tried a different one (Netgear Nigthhawk EX7700 AC Wi-Fi extender). Everything was close in one room, no other traffic, same 5GHz network. Same problem, basic Air Link connection is OK, but Launch fails. Unfortunately, I cannot try your second suggestion, the Oculus Link USB cable, since I don't have one.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

I've actually got a Netgear Nighthawk 7000 in bridge mode and works great until it glitches really hard every few minutes. Wonder if it's because its bridge mode that it glitches as I'm not experienced with networking?

Actually works ok by connecting directly to router downstairs just wanted to see if I could improve on the connection.

DC-Wolf
Protege

Beowulf22 you write your Laptop and your Quest2 are in the same 5GHz network.
This is a wrong setup. The PC ( Laptpop ) must be connected with a network cable to the router !

DrGNOLA
Protege

This seems to be the case with me also at least. Other features register except for Airlink (on the Quest 2 Experimental menu). I can only assume they are rolling it out, though don't quote that Release Update, please--it's as mysterious as every other convoluted update or rollout Oculus handles. Do they not make enough at FB to do things right? It's just baffling...: (

DrGNOLA
Protege

The latest VD update now runs so well for me I've only a bettor's interest in seeing how well Air Link works. One day I'm sure they'll catch up, but I doubt it will be on this first pass @ wireless. Again, baffling how FB can't manage better.

DrGNOLA
Protege

Just seems like shockingly bad company policy, I don't care how hard the update process is. If you don't have it ready, don't tell me it's coming...sort of...later...? Great! : (

DrGNOLA
Protege

Just seems like shockingly bad company policy, I don't care how hard the update process is. If you don't have it ready, don't tell me it's coming...sort of...later...? Great! : (

Kane1971
Honored Guest

did you try doing a factory reset through the phone app? that fixed it for me. it showed up on the quest. not even the actual v28 update made it show nor did doing a factory reset through the headset, had to do it via phone app.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Link is still broken in some games, with display glitches/white horizontal stripe showing up. It's obvious at this point that Oculus doesn't give a **bleep** about fixing these issues. 

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

After some more testing I'm having these issues in all games. On top of that, horrid performance with low fps and huge latency spikes as well as crackling audio. The issues have gone from really annoying to a completely useless headset.

Rangerscott77
Honored Guest

Still no fix for ASMedia usb controllers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

My ASMedia win10 driver dated 16/11/2020 is working fine (power savings disabled of course) with my official link cable.  This is the usb3.1 gen2 type-c port (only have one of these) on my asus maximus hero xi motherboard.  I also have a separate startech 2x usb3.1 gen2 type-c ports (sata powered) that also seems to work fine but I get better usb test speeds and a little better performance with my MB port (2.5Gbps vs 2.0Gbps.  Go figure?

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Yeah, good for you. Link is still broken.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Only broken for some.  Since the vast majority don’t seem to have problems with Link it’s hardly broken.  If it was it would be all over YT with proof.  I think there must be an overarching reason.  Not disagreeing that there may be compatibility issues that Oculus could help address.  Given the multitude of different pc setups this is bound to happen.  I think you and others that are having issues need to work with Oculus support and see if they can help sort out your issues.  Ranting about it on a user forum is not very useful.  Especially when these normally do not even contain enough information for users like myself to try to suggest things to try.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Oh yeah, I forgot the Youtube marketers, shills and clickbaiters would be all over this. Right after the numerous "OMG 120 HURTZ!!" videos.
The majority doesn't even run the headsets tethered. It's should be clear to anyone with a pair of functioning eyes that there are lots of problems with USB. It's all over this forum as well as Reddit. And see, ranting about it on user forums just might give these problems some attention, which is clearly needed so they can be fixed. 
Weeks of mailing Oculus support and providing them with extensive logs has thus far yielded in the sanguine advice of logging out and back in, in the Oculus software. 

As for your suggestions and advice I'll be sure to provide enough information when I need help shilling. That's clearly your area of expertise. Technology... I don't think so.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Yeah that's Tom. He lost his cookies over my sacrilege of using Air Link on a pc not hard wired but his point is a good one. Since we all don't have the specific issue (mine works as it always has) it makes fixing the overall issue that much more complex I'm sure.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Those extra 3-4ms of latency must be important for some... 😉

I would not expect anynone but Oculus to be able to fix the issue, which is why I'm just calling attention to it. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LameDuckWarrior If you are happy with a sub-standard Air Link setup by not following EVERY Air Link setup recommendation then that just indicates to me you do not know any better.  I have compared Air Link and Virtual Desktop with and without being wired with ethernet and the latency with only Wifi is double that of wired.  Maybe the extra 30-40ms of delay does not bother you but I think it would bother most gamers.  Those that do not understand why this is the case do not understand VR streaming technology.  But like I told you before, sometime ignorance is bliss, lol!

Please continue on with your little pee-party and enjoy wallowing in your self pity.  BTW calling anyone names is a personal attack and if this happens again I will report it.  Fair warning.

Maybe go to the Virtual Desktop discord channel (VD is basically the same tech) and tell everyone of it +100,000 members (usually 10,000 online at every time) how great Air Link or VD is without and ethernet connection you would get laughed out of the park (including from the VD developer who just might know a thing or two).  

In any case, I do feel sorry for those with issues and I hope you are all able to resolve these eventually.  In the meantime I'll do my best to ignore the immature venting rants.  Good luck and lighten up.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

That's a lot of pee pee tOmmy.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LameDuckWarrior Sorry Ducky, but a lot of #1 is a bit better than a lot of #2 Lame advice, lol!

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Two days it takes you to come up with this gem?

Quick tip, never laugh at your own jokes. Especially the LAME ones.

<The tEd cRuze is strong with this one>

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LameDuckWarrior  Ok, enough friendly banter mate.  Let's get back to discussing v28 Quest things.  Thanks.

If you are interested in knowing why a wired ethernet connection is always recommended and is always better than an all wifi setup, a little Google research may be useful.  Basically it is because;

A wired Ethernet network is full duplex, meaning a device can send and receive, or upload and download, simultaneously. WiFi is half duplex, so if a client is sending data to the AP(Access Points), the AP can not also send data to the same or any other client at the same time.  This is pretty important for good wireless pcvr and streaming in general.

Anyway, I hope you and others find this information useful and hopefully it will provide a starting point for further research into all this.  While you may get an all wifi setup to work with VD or AL you will always get lower latency and more stability (like less stutters) with an ethernet cable wired from your gigabyte router to your pc.  That is fact, not fiction.

Aside; just for interest; usb3 is full duplex while usb2 is only half duplex.  So much for people saying that Link works as well with usb2 cables.  Again, this is fact, not fiction.

DrGNOLA
Protege

Truth. More of a shame then that Link has not [really] been optimized, especially after a $75 cable was needed. Nonetheless, you are getting a truly hybrid pcVR unit for the money, especially with AirLink working well-ish now as well. You do have options.