cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 / Quest Build 28.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of April 19th, 2021.

Bring Your Desk into VR

• We’ve added the ability to place a virtual desk on your real desk to use while you’re in VR. You can see and use this Desk in the Oculus Home environment.
  • We recommend staying seated while using the Desk.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Bring Your Desk Into VR to enable your virtual desk.

Pair Your Physical Keyboard with your Quest 2

• We’ve added the ability to pair a Logitech K830 keyboard to your Oculus Quest 2. When you pair your keyboard to your Quest 2, you’ll see a 3D representation of your hands and keyboard within VR for easy text entry and system navigation while in your Home environment.
  • To begin using your K830 keyboard with Quest 2, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Pair next to Bluetooth Pairing.

Oculus Air Link

• Oculus Air Link allows you to discover and pair your Oculus Quest 2 headset to your Oculus-ready PC over a secure Wi-Fi network.
  • You can opt in to this experimental feature from the Experimental Features section of Settings. Follow the instructions on our support site to set up Oculus Air Link.
  • Note: Air Link is part of v28 but it requires that both your headset and PC be running v28 software. That means we’ll be unlocking Air Link once both Quest and PC v28 releases are rolled out, which will happen soon - but you won’t see Air Link just yet, so stay tuned.

120Hz Support

• 120Hz support is now available on Oculus Quest 2 in an experimental setting. Developers can now ship apps that run at 120Hz, allowing you to experience a higher refresh rate for any app that supports 120Hz when you enable this in Settings.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, select Experimental Features, then select 120Hz.
  • Keep in mind, it’s up to the developer to provide support for 120Hz. While there aren’t any apps that support 120 Hz just yet, people who turn on this setting will experience 120 Hz performance in apps that choose to support it in the future.
  • This feature may affect battery usage, headset temperature and the visual quality of some system features.

Bug Fixes

• Tracking Improvements
    • Fixed issue where in certain environments, some customers experienced tracking loss.

Please note, the Experimental Features section includes features that are still being developed, so you may encounter anything from minor issues to app crashes.

114 REPLIES 114

Yeah, good for you. Link is still broken.

Only broken for some.  Since the vast majority don’t seem to have problems with Link it’s hardly broken.  If it was it would be all over YT with proof.  I think there must be an overarching reason.  Not disagreeing that there may be compatibility issues that Oculus could help address.  Given the multitude of different pc setups this is bound to happen.  I think you and others that are having issues need to work with Oculus support and see if they can help sort out your issues.  Ranting about it on a user forum is not very useful.  Especially when these normally do not even contain enough information for users like myself to try to suggest things to try.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Oh yeah, I forgot the Youtube marketers, shills and clickbaiters would be all over this. Right after the numerous "OMG 120 HURTZ!!" videos.
The majority doesn't even run the headsets tethered. It's should be clear to anyone with a pair of functioning eyes that there are lots of problems with USB. It's all over this forum as well as Reddit. And see, ranting about it on user forums just might give these problems some attention, which is clearly needed so they can be fixed. 
Weeks of mailing Oculus support and providing them with extensive logs has thus far yielded in the sanguine advice of logging out and back in, in the Oculus software. 

As for your suggestions and advice I'll be sure to provide enough information when I need help shilling. That's clearly your area of expertise. Technology... I don't think so.

Yeah that's Tom. He lost his cookies over my sacrilege of using Air Link on a pc not hard wired but his point is a good one. Since we all don't have the specific issue (mine works as it always has) it makes fixing the overall issue that much more complex I'm sure.

Those extra 3-4ms of latency must be important for some... 😉

I would not expect anynone but Oculus to be able to fix the issue, which is why I'm just calling attention to it. 

@LameDuckWarrior If you are happy with a sub-standard Air Link setup by not following EVERY Air Link setup recommendation then that just indicates to me you do not know any better.  I have compared Air Link and Virtual Desktop with and without being wired with ethernet and the latency with only Wifi is double that of wired.  Maybe the extra 30-40ms of delay does not bother you but I think it would bother most gamers.  Those that do not understand why this is the case do not understand VR streaming technology.  But like I told you before, sometime ignorance is bliss, lol!

Please continue on with your little pee-party and enjoy wallowing in your self pity.  BTW calling anyone names is a personal attack and if this happens again I will report it.  Fair warning.

Maybe go to the Virtual Desktop discord channel (VD is basically the same tech) and tell everyone of it +100,000 members (usually 10,000 online at every time) how great Air Link or VD is without and ethernet connection you would get laughed out of the park (including from the VD developer who just might know a thing or two).  

In any case, I do feel sorry for those with issues and I hope you are all able to resolve these eventually.  In the meantime I'll do my best to ignore the immature venting rants.  Good luck and lighten up.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

That's a lot of pee pee tOmmy.

@LameDuckWarrior Sorry Ducky, but a lot of #1 is a bit better than a lot of #2 Lame advice, lol!

Two days it takes you to come up with this gem?

Quick tip, never laugh at your own jokes. Especially the LAME ones.

<The tEd cRuze is strong with this one>

@LameDuckWarrior  Ok, enough friendly banter mate.  Let's get back to discussing v28 Quest things.  Thanks.

If you are interested in knowing why a wired ethernet connection is always recommended and is always better than an all wifi setup, a little Google research may be useful.  Basically it is because;

A wired Ethernet network is full duplex, meaning a device can send and receive, or upload and download, simultaneously. WiFi is half duplex, so if a client is sending data to the AP(Access Points), the AP can not also send data to the same or any other client at the same time.  This is pretty important for good wireless pcvr and streaming in general.

Anyway, I hope you and others find this information useful and hopefully it will provide a starting point for further research into all this.  While you may get an all wifi setup to work with VD or AL you will always get lower latency and more stability (like less stutters) with an ethernet cable wired from your gigabyte router to your pc.  That is fact, not fiction.

Aside; just for interest; usb3 is full duplex while usb2 is only half duplex.  So much for people saying that Link works as well with usb2 cables.  Again, this is fact, not fiction.