cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 / Quest Build 29.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of May 17, 2021.

Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest

• We launched Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest 2 in February and are excited to announce the release of Multi-User Accounts for Quest.
  • With this new addition, you can use multiple Oculus accounts on one headset.
  • Learn how to add additional accounts to your Oculus Quest.

Phone Notifications

• You can now view Phone Notifications without removing your headset. You’ll receive notifications to your headset from apps you’ve enabled lock screen notifications for on your iPhone.
  • This feature is for iOS only, but Android support is coming soon.
  • If you use Oculus with Multi-User Accounts, your notifications will be secured and inaccessible by secondary account holders.
  • To begin receiving iPhone notifications to your Oculus headset, turn on Phone Notifications from the Devices section of your Oculus app.

File App

• You’ll now be able to access, browse, manage, share, and organize files located on your VR device. Additionally, you will be able to download files from Oculus Browser to the Files App and upload files from your device to websites via Browser.

Passthrough Environment Shortcut

• You’re now able to quickly access Passthrough through a new shortcut. Use this to set your default Home environment as Passthrough, and switch back and forth between reality and virtual reality. To access this shortcut, look for the Passthrough Home “eye” icon on the Quick Settings menu.

Light Theme

• Light Theme is being introduced to Oculus Quest 2 and Quest. You’re able to change the appearance of system features and Oculus apps to a light theme.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your Universal menu, Select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Choose Display Theme to select between a dark or light theme.

Universal Menu

• We’ve redesigned our Universal menu to make it easier to multi-task and quickly access pinned and recently launched apps. You’ll still be able to access core system-level functions like your Settings, Notifications and headset battery level.

Night Display

• We’ve added Night Display to your Settings. Now, you can change your display to warmer colors which may be easier on your eyes.
  • To begin using: With your headset on, open your Universal menu, select Settings, then select Device. Turn on Night Display and adjust the Display Warmth to a comfortable setting.

Record Audio with Headset Mic

• We’ve added the ability to record your headset mic audio while recording video in VR. When you begin recording video, your mic audio will automatically begin recording as well.
  • To stop recording your mic audio, mute your mic in the Quick Actions menu.
53 REPLIES 53

Pixie40
Level 9

There are probably differences between the Quest 2 and Quest 1 versions of the patch. I mean, the Q1 doesn't have some features after all.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

yeah it is on in the headset, 90 is the highest in the pc app.  not to worry, as turning it off and on and fiddling around, it got it to show on the pc app... only after it had been turned off on the headset.  of course off on the headset and on on the pc app ment link would not work until it was on in the headset as well.

NOT helpful.  Please refrain from posting stuff like that unless you're willing to help.  Thank you.

As for the other posters, the Q2 uses a different chipset....so using a Q2 update on a Q1 is not a good idea unless you want a really expensive paperweight.  😄

Pixie40
Level 9

*shrugs*

I'll probably continue using Virtual Desktop for my wireless PCVR needs for now. The VD "office" environment works well for web browsing, and image quality is overall better then Air Link right now.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Jxerot
Level 3

After this update my quest 2 is really slow and can't use oculus link anymore. How to fix this? right now its nothing more than a fancy paperweight. I tryed factory reset 2 times, through quest 2 and through the mobile app.

Can't even play the "welcome/tutorial" game form oculus... please help. what am i doing wrong why is it so slow?

oke now it doesnt even startup anymore. takes like 2 minutes to startup and then it doesn't show the menu. Lovely update :*( 

AbbyGagging
Level 2

O have updated my oculus quest 2 to the new release v29, and my iPhone 11 app. I cannot find the option to set iOS notifications on oculus. The app does not have the option. Followed t he instructions and the option is not there

happy5cool
Level 2

Hello i have a questions. I love HZ in games and I only want to play on the PC via the wire, 120Hz is still impossible to turn on with PC games? Will it be available at all? I do not have quest 2 and am considering options. Maybe someone else knows where to find ppi vr, they say quest 2 has good clarity, please discard the site or something else so that I can compare different glasses, because it hurts to see the pixels well.)

@happy5cool  The Q2 is the only Oculus headset that will do 120Hz (standalone with some apps and PCVR with Link and Air Link).  Keep in mind that 120Hz, is still experimental so there may be some stability issues that will need updates later.  Personally I'm finding 90Hz works best for me with my Q2.  The clarity of the Q2 is very good and I certainly cannot see pixels or screen door effects (SDE).

If you want the best, proven wired PCVR at 120Hz you may be best to consider a Valve Index imho.  If you have enough PC horsepower it will even do 144Hz!

Up to you to do your own research on all this and decide what's the best way to go imho.  Good luck mate and cheers. 

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

DimiAshke
Level 3

So when do we see the new features? I’ve updated both the phone app and the quest 2 and still no features. I’m confused.