cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of May 17, 2021.

Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest

• We launched Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest 2 in February and are excited to announce the release of Multi-User Accounts for Quest.
  • With this new addition, you can use multiple Oculus accounts on one headset.
  • Learn how to add additional accounts to your Oculus Quest.

Phone Notifications

• You can now view Phone Notifications without removing your headset. You’ll receive notifications to your headset from apps you’ve enabled lock screen notifications for on your iPhone.
  • This feature is for iOS only, but Android support is coming soon.
  • If you use Oculus with Multi-User Accounts, your notifications will be secured and inaccessible by secondary account holders.
  • To begin receiving iPhone notifications to your Oculus headset, turn on Phone Notifications from the Devices section of your Oculus app.

File App

• You’ll now be able to access, browse, manage, share, and organize files located on your VR device. Additionally, you will be able to download files from Oculus Browser to the Files App and upload files from your device to websites via Browser.

Passthrough Environment Shortcut

• You’re now able to quickly access Passthrough through a new shortcut. Use this to set your default Home environment as Passthrough, and switch back and forth between reality and virtual reality. To access this shortcut, look for the Passthrough Home “eye” icon on the Quick Settings menu.

Light Theme

• Light Theme is being introduced to Oculus Quest 2 and Quest. You’re able to change the appearance of system features and Oculus apps to a light theme.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your Universal menu, Select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Choose Display Theme to select between a dark or light theme.

Universal Menu

• We’ve redesigned our Universal menu to make it easier to multi-task and quickly access pinned and recently launched apps. You’ll still be able to access core system-level functions like your Settings, Notifications and headset battery level.

Night Display

• We’ve added Night Display to your Settings. Now, you can change your display to warmer colors which may be easier on your eyes.
  • To begin using: With your headset on, open your Universal menu, select Settings, then select Device. Turn on Night Display and adjust the Display Warmth to a comfortable setting.

Record Audio with Headset Mic

• We’ve added the ability to record your headset mic audio while recording video in VR. When you begin recording video, your mic audio will automatically begin recording as well.
  • To stop recording your mic audio, mute your mic in the Quick Actions menu.
54 Comments
Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Wasn't the light theme supposed to be in the last update? Lol.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

So, no further Air Link improvements or Air Link Q1 support?  Just more fluff imho.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer

Bugfixes or improvements are mostly not mentioned.

KOBRI.SECTOR.BG
Protege

Recording the mic is a very welcome addition, thank you!

Hope you guys managed to fix the audio/video sync issues too

Also a simple toggle for left/right eye recording will be great since a lot of the top first-person shooter players are left-eye dominant

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

No mention of the upcoming ads unless this article is incorrect?  I wish I could turn off auto update until I get a confirmation either way.

https://vrscout.com/news/oculus-quest-v29-update-announced/

EDIT:  Never mind, I had the wording wrong.  The ads will show up in the oculus app on your smart device and not the headset itself.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got the v29 update on my Q2 today (not on Q1 though).  Takes a while to get used to the new universal menu but seems ok.  My only problem with the update is that it shifted my Quest home clock back 12 hours.  I tried a few things like using my iphone hotspot but could not get it to sync with local time/date.  Finally did a factory reset to get it back.  Fortunately I did not have a lot of apps on this since I've mainly been using it with Link and Air Link.  Otherwise, everything seems to be working fine.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

Fortunately I did not have a lot of apps on this since I've mainly been using it with Link and Air Link.  Otherwise, everything seems to be working fine.

You've been able to get Air Link to reliably work? Lucky you... it only works maybe one one twentith of the time. If it launches, Air Link is great (and stable). Problem is it keeps refusing to launch, and I don't know why.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40  Sorry mate, not sure what I can suggest except to contact Oculus support and send them your log files.  Link and Air Link are both working very well with my Q2.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40  Hate to make you feel worse but 120Hz refresh just became available with Link.  Seems to work very well so far.  I’ll try it on Air Link later.  The Q2 is getting better and better all the time!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Yeah, it is. And it started out awesome. Just wish I could reliably get some features to work like they are suppose to.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Good stuff! Unfortunately, phone notifications require an iPhone 7 or newer, so I guess I'll have to consider upgrading my iPhone 6 at some point (not actually that big a deal to me, I'm not constantly glued to my phone like most people seem to be these days).

There's also a new casting feature coming to the phone app (Live Overlay) that makes it easier to create MR videos showing you overlayed on the VR footage, but that requires an iPhone XS or newer (details in the Oculus blog).

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Sadly, that's again limited to Iphones right now. Which I find annoying cause I don't have an Iphone, and refuse to pay those prices for one.

To be fair though, my android cell phone is old too. It still works fine for what I use it for (receiving and making phone calls), so I've had no desire to "upgrade" it. I have a Galaxy Tab A tablet that I use instead for anything mobile related (games,  Nintendo Switch voice chat, router management app, Oculus app).

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Got v29 on my Q1 today.  Same nice looking new universal menu (it's growing on me) but unfortunately no Air Link.  Wired Link with my official link cable continues to work very well though and I still have VD for wireless. 

Still good the Q1's still getting some love.  After getting v29 on my Q2 a few days ago I didn't think I'd see this for my Q1 in a month of Sundays, lol!

Spyder17
Expert Protege

Can't find where to turn on phone Notifications.  I have an Iphone 12pro max.  Looked in the device settings in the PC and phone apps and don't find it.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Might have to be done in the quest it's self? Not sure. That's one feature I am ignoring the existence of. Besides the fact I refuse to buy an Iphone, my cell phone is... er... I think it's about 15 years old or so? **bleep**, didn't think I'd had it that long. No wonder it seems crappy anymore and barely has the space needed for the required apps (like the Tracfone account management app).

Maybe it's time to finally update it?

deKaro303
Protege

@ShowbizDonkey Thank you! Nice update! 😎

nalex66
MVP
MVP

@Spyder17 wrote:

Can't find where to turn on phone Notifications.  I have an Iphone 12pro max.  Looked in the device settings in the PC and phone apps and don't find it.

It's supposed to be done in the iOS phone app Settings menu, but I'm not sure if that's Headset Settings (in the Devices section) or in the other settings menu that is accessible by tapping your avatar in the top-left corner. My iPhone is too old, so I won't have that option. It may also be that you need an update to the phone app for the new option to show up.

lensmandave
Superstar

Updated just now and everything seems to be in place and working. However I've recently updated to the Oculus Elite battery Strap and I notice that the battery level indicator in home only shows a single reading whereas in Version 28 you could see separate values for headset and strap battery levels.

Paradosso
Explorer

I have the v29 update on my Quest 1 but there isn't any Multiple Account option on my Experimental features menu.

I tried to reset my experimental features a couple of time without any luck.

What else can I do (besides factory reset)? Any suggestion?

kevinwarhaft
Adventurer

i got the update also its good

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I did too, and it's a mixed bag. Air Link is now working reliably, as is Oculus Link. However the image quality of Air Link is... not good now. Before when it worked, Air Link had image quality as good as using a physical cable for Oculus Link or using Virtual Desktop. Now it looks like a youtube video with too many deep shadows and moving objects on camera. AKA horribly pixelated and blurry. Heck, I've watched VHS tapes that had been recorded over too many times with better image quality. Not much better image quality, but better.

EDIT: I think the problem is that it's trying to force 120Hz refresh rates when my system can't handle it.

EDIT2: Speaking of 120Hz refresh rates... how do you disable that? I can't find it in the options.

EDIT3: It appears the problem comes from oculus Home. Changing the app's settings to not automatically launch Oculus Home mostly fixed the issues.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40  Maybe you need an Edit3, lol!  You can easily opt out of 120Hz by disabling the Q2 experimental option and choosing a different refresh rate in the Oculus desktop app device settings.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@Pixie40  Maybe you need an Edit3, lol!  You can easily opt out of 120Hz by disabling the Q2 experimental option and choosing a different refresh rate in the Oculus desktop app device settings.

And where is that? Cause I'm not seeing a 120Hz option in the Quest's menu, the desktop app, or anywhere else. The desktop app isn't showing a refresh rate option anywhere either. I have bitrate options, but those are 10-100 Dynamic and 10-100 Fixed. I have them set to 100 Dynamic.

EDIT: Although it is nice that Air Link is reliably launching now. Pro Tip: If you also use VR Desktop, make sure you unlock your computer after shutting down that app. Otherwise Air Link can't launch due to your computer being locked by VR Desktop when you shut it down.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Pixie40  More Pixie-Dust, lol!  You are sooo funny mate, lol!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

What? I loaded up Virtual Desktop in order to read forums while fiddling with various settings on the desktop app since image quality was horrible and making it hard to read anything using Air Link. Settings like "don't launch Oculus Home" cause I wanted to test to see if Oculus Home could be a partial culprit. Turns out it was, but I haven't nailed down exactly why yet. I shut down Virtual Desktop so I could switch to Air Link again, and was getting really frustrated with it not launching... until I remembered Virtual Desktop locks your PC when shut down and I wondered if that was the issue. So I hit space bar (while still in VR and unable to see what I was doing), waited 10 seconds, and typed in my Windows Hello PIN. Then tried launching Air Link again, and it worked.

I've now checked the mobile app (can't find an options menu in it), the desktop app, and the settings menu in my Quest 2. Can't find anything for disabling 120Hz refresh.

Digikid1
Consultant

For some stupid reason my Quest says that it is downloading the update.....I have it plugged in, and on and sitting on desk.  I come back and it is like I did nothing at all.  It says Update available and then I have to do it again.

WTF!!!!!!!!! 😡

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

It might have gone into sleep mode. I don't know for sure however. Shouldn't take too long to download the update though. I did so while wearing the headset just to make sure nothing went wrong. It restarted after the update finished. I didn't get the new UI though until this afternoon when I signed into the mobile app for the first time since setting up my Quest 2.

Digikid1
Consultant

Thought of that and put it to 4 hours before sleep and had it on my head for 45 minutes.  Nothing.  Claims it is dl'ing and then ask me to update, then claims to download again.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Hmm, might need to completely power down then restart it after a minute or so. Or it might be that you need to update the mobile app. IDK.

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

Phone notifications feature is for iOS only, but Android support is coming soon. Why do iOS users get this feature first when the actual OS of Quest 2 is itself, Android! SMH.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

@NorbertNoBacon wrote:

Phone notifications feature is for iOS only, but Android support is coming soon. Why do iOS users get this feature first when the actual OS of Quest 2 is itself, Android! SMH.

The answer is, of course, money. It's quite likely that Apple paid for such consideration.

deKaro303
Protege

I get the minimum specs warning message with my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
Graphic: XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 Core (12GB)
Memory: G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 32GFX
SSD: Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@deKaro303  could be that Oculus has not added in your cpu or gpu yet to their list.  They seem to take forever to do this, lol!  As long as everything is working ok just ignore the warning for now imho.

Icecream.inc
Explorer

had 120hz after headset updated to v29, pc app was v28 and had 120hz. then the pc app updated, and its gone.

so it was good for a couple hours, shame i didnt get to try it out.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Icecream.inc  make sure you select 120hz experimental on your Q2 home, then restart your Oculus desktop app and hopefully it will appear.

Digikid1
Consultant

Still will not update.  Does anyone have the files for a forced update for a V1 Quest?  It is stuck at V25 and refuses to go any further.

ohgrant
Superstar

Download V 29  From the Reddit megathread 

Digikid1
Consultant

That's for the Quest 2.  Not the Original Quest.

ohgrant
Superstar

Hmm, I see where they're specifying Q2.  Still not sure there is a difference at least wasn't at one time. I think it was December that I loaded the same runtime on my Q1 as I did on my Q2. I don't recall ever seeing individual Quest 1 runtimes. Not getting an update since V25 does seem unusual. Probably stating what you already know but sounds like support ticket time.  

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

There are probably differences between the Quest 2 and Quest 1 versions of the patch. I mean, the Q1 doesn't have some features after all.

Icecream.inc
Explorer

yeah it is on in the headset, 90 is the highest in the pc app.  not to worry, as turning it off and on and fiddling around, it got it to show on the pc app... only after it had been turned off on the headset.  of course off on the headset and on on the pc app ment link would not work until it was on in the headset as well.

Digikid1
Consultant

NOT helpful.  Please refrain from posting stuff like that unless you're willing to help.  Thank you.

As for the other posters, the Q2 uses a different chipset....so using a Q2 update on a Q1 is not a good idea unless you want a really expensive paperweight.  😄

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

*shrugs*

I'll probably continue using Virtual Desktop for my wireless PCVR needs for now. The VD "office" environment works well for web browsing, and image quality is overall better then Air Link right now.

Jxerot
Explorer

After this update my quest 2 is really slow and can't use oculus link anymore. How to fix this? right now its nothing more than a fancy paperweight. I tryed factory reset 2 times, through quest 2 and through the mobile app.

Can't even play the "welcome/tutorial" game form oculus... please help. what am i doing wrong why is it so slow?

Jxerot
Explorer

oke now it doesnt even startup anymore. takes like 2 minutes to startup and then it doesn't show the menu. Lovely update :*( 

Mr.Nimbus
Honored Guest

O have updated my oculus quest 2 to the new release v29, and my iPhone 11 app. I cannot find the option to set iOS notifications on oculus. The app does not have the option. Followed t he instructions and the option is not there

happy5cool
Honored Guest

Hello i have a questions. I love HZ in games and I only want to play on the PC via the wire, 120Hz is still impossible to turn on with PC games? Will it be available at all? I do not have quest 2 and am considering options. Maybe someone else knows where to find ppi vr, they say quest 2 has good clarity, please discard the site or something else so that I can compare different glasses, because it hurts to see the pixels well.)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@happy5cool  The Q2 is the only Oculus headset that will do 120Hz (standalone with some apps and PCVR with Link and Air Link).  Keep in mind that 120Hz, is still experimental so there may be some stability issues that will need updates later.  Personally I'm finding 90Hz works best for me with my Q2.  The clarity of the Q2 is very good and I certainly cannot see pixels or screen door effects (SDE).

If you want the best, proven wired PCVR at 120Hz you may be best to consider a Valve Index imho.  If you have enough PC horsepower it will even do 144Hz!

Up to you to do your own research on all this and decide what's the best way to go imho.  Good luck mate and cheers. 

DimiAshke
Explorer

So when do we see the new features? I’ve updated both the phone app and the quest 2 and still no features. I’m confused. 

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer

I also did not have the new features. No file browser, no new menu...