cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 / Quest Build 29.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of May 17, 2021.

Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest

• We launched Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest 2 in February and are excited to announce the release of Multi-User Accounts for Quest.
  • With this new addition, you can use multiple Oculus accounts on one headset.
  • Learn how to add additional accounts to your Oculus Quest.

Phone Notifications

• You can now view Phone Notifications without removing your headset. You’ll receive notifications to your headset from apps you’ve enabled lock screen notifications for on your iPhone.
  • This feature is for iOS only, but Android support is coming soon.
  • If you use Oculus with Multi-User Accounts, your notifications will be secured and inaccessible by secondary account holders.
  • To begin receiving iPhone notifications to your Oculus headset, turn on Phone Notifications from the Devices section of your Oculus app.

File App

• You’ll now be able to access, browse, manage, share, and organize files located on your VR device. Additionally, you will be able to download files from Oculus Browser to the Files App and upload files from your device to websites via Browser.

Passthrough Environment Shortcut

• You’re now able to quickly access Passthrough through a new shortcut. Use this to set your default Home environment as Passthrough, and switch back and forth between reality and virtual reality. To access this shortcut, look for the Passthrough Home “eye” icon on the Quick Settings menu.

Light Theme

• Light Theme is being introduced to Oculus Quest 2 and Quest. You’re able to change the appearance of system features and Oculus apps to a light theme.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your Universal menu, Select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Choose Display Theme to select between a dark or light theme.

Universal Menu

• We’ve redesigned our Universal menu to make it easier to multi-task and quickly access pinned and recently launched apps. You’ll still be able to access core system-level functions like your Settings, Notifications and headset battery level.

Night Display

• We’ve added Night Display to your Settings. Now, you can change your display to warmer colors which may be easier on your eyes.
  • To begin using: With your headset on, open your Universal menu, select Settings, then select Device. Turn on Night Display and adjust the Display Warmth to a comfortable setting.

Record Audio with Headset Mic

• We’ve added the ability to record your headset mic audio while recording video in VR. When you begin recording video, your mic audio will automatically begin recording as well.
  • To stop recording your mic audio, mute your mic in the Quick Actions menu.
52 REPLIES 52

i got the update also its good

kevin warhaft

Pixie40
Level 9

I did too, and it's a mixed bag. Air Link is now working reliably, as is Oculus Link. However the image quality of Air Link is... not good now. Before when it worked, Air Link had image quality as good as using a physical cable for Oculus Link or using Virtual Desktop. Now it looks like a youtube video with too many deep shadows and moving objects on camera. AKA horribly pixelated and blurry. Heck, I've watched VHS tapes that had been recorded over too many times with better image quality. Not much better image quality, but better.

EDIT: I think the problem is that it's trying to force 120Hz refresh rates when my system can't handle it.

EDIT2: Speaking of 120Hz refresh rates... how do you disable that? I can't find it in the options.

EDIT3: It appears the problem comes from oculus Home. Changing the app's settings to not automatically launch Oculus Home mostly fixed the issues.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

@Pixie40  Maybe you need an Edit3, lol!  You can easily opt out of 120Hz by disabling the Q2 experimental option and choosing a different refresh rate in the Oculus desktop app device settings.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@Pixie40  Maybe you need an Edit3, lol!  You can easily opt out of 120Hz by disabling the Q2 experimental option and choosing a different refresh rate in the Oculus desktop app device settings.

And where is that? Cause I'm not seeing a 120Hz option in the Quest's menu, the desktop app, or anywhere else. The desktop app isn't showing a refresh rate option anywhere either. I have bitrate options, but those are 10-100 Dynamic and 10-100 Fixed. I have them set to 100 Dynamic.

EDIT: Although it is nice that Air Link is reliably launching now. Pro Tip: If you also use VR Desktop, make sure you unlock your computer after shutting down that app. Otherwise Air Link can't launch due to your computer being locked by VR Desktop when you shut it down.

@Pixie40  More Pixie-Dust, lol!  You are sooo funny mate, lol!

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

Pixie40
Level 9

What? I loaded up Virtual Desktop in order to read forums while fiddling with various settings on the desktop app since image quality was horrible and making it hard to read anything using Air Link. Settings like "don't launch Oculus Home" cause I wanted to test to see if Oculus Home could be a partial culprit. Turns out it was, but I haven't nailed down exactly why yet. I shut down Virtual Desktop so I could switch to Air Link again, and was getting really frustrated with it not launching... until I remembered Virtual Desktop locks your PC when shut down and I wondered if that was the issue. So I hit space bar (while still in VR and unable to see what I was doing), waited 10 seconds, and typed in my Windows Hello PIN. Then tried launching Air Link again, and it worked.

I've now checked the mobile app (can't find an options menu in it), the desktop app, and the settings menu in my Quest 2. Can't find anything for disabling 120Hz refresh.

Digikid1
Level 12

For some stupid reason my Quest says that it is downloading the update.....I have it plugged in, and on and sitting on desk.  I come back and it is like I did nothing at all.  It says Update available and then I have to do it again.

WTF!!!!!!!!! 😡

Pixie40
Level 9

It might have gone into sleep mode. I don't know for sure however. Shouldn't take too long to download the update though. I did so while wearing the headset just to make sure nothing went wrong. It restarted after the update finished. I didn't get the new UI though until this afternoon when I signed into the mobile app for the first time since setting up my Quest 2.

Digikid1
Level 12

Thought of that and put it to 4 hours before sleep and had it on my head for 45 minutes.  Nothing.  Claims it is dl'ing and then ask me to update, then claims to download again.

Pixie40
Level 9

Hmm, might need to completely power down then restart it after a minute or so. Or it might be that you need to update the mobile app. IDK.