cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Without a Phone ?

Dicehunter
Protege

I'm really tempted to get a Quest 2 and link cable for my PC but was wondering, Do you need a smartphone like you did with Quest 1 or can you go through your existing Oculus account with the link cable ? I only ask as I do not own a smartphone and have no plans on getting one, Shock horror I know 😛

Any info is appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

nalex66
MVP
MVP

You need a phone to do the initial setup (or an iPad). After that, the phone isn’t necessary, but is sometimes useful.

The phone isn’t permanently tied to the device, so if you know someone with a smartphone, you can use theirs. Install the Oculus app on it, set up your account on the Quest 2, then uninstall the phone app. Using someone else’s phone can be a bit tricky if they’re a Facebook user though; you have to log out of their Facebook account on the FB app and browser, or else it won’t let you set up Oculus with your own Facebook account (which you must have to use a Quest 2).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

@nalex66 wrote:

You need a phone to do the initial setup (or an iPad). After that, the phone isn’t necessary, but is sometimes useful.

The phone isn’t permanently tied to the device, so if you know someone with a smartphone, you can use theirs. Install the Oculus app on it, set up your account on the Quest 2, then uninstall the phone app. Using someone else’s phone can be a bit tricky if they’re a Facebook user though; you have to log out of their Facebook account on the FB app and browser, or else it won’t let you set up Oculus with your own Facebook account (which you must have to use a Quest 2).

Appreciate the reply thank you Nalex66, 1 last question if you'll indulge me, I have an Oculus account from when I owned a Rift CV1 and Rift S, Can I not just use that instead of Facebook for the Q2 ? I do not have a Facebook account and have zero plans of ever having a social media account, Outside of forum use of course.

kojack
MVP
MVP

It still requires a phone to do the initial setup, and you can't enable Link without having it set up first.

You don't need a phone to keep using it though, apart from a few rare events like toggling developer mode on/off the phone isn't needed after you've got the Quest 2 up and running. So you could use a friend's phone to do the first setup, then log out of the mobile app and uninstall it. After that the Quest 2 itself can buy from the store, change wifi settings, etc.

Also, since people often suggest it, there's currently no phone emulator for PC that I'm aware of that will work, none of them have bluetooth support. Although I've never looked for iphone emulators (only tried android ones), no idea if those even exist.

Android tablets and ipads will work too, not just phones.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

@kojack wrote:

It still requires a phone to do the initial setup, and you can't enable Link without having it set up first.

You don't need a phone to keep using it though, apart from a few rare events like toggling developer mode on/off the phone isn't needed after you've got the Quest 2 up and running. So you could use a friend's phone to do the first setup, then log out of the mobile app and uninstall it. After that the Quest 2 itself can buy from the store, change wifi settings, etc.

Also, since people often suggest it, there's currently no phone emulator for PC that I'm aware of that will work, none of them have bluetooth support. Although I've never looked for iphone emulators (only tried android ones), no idea if those even exist.

Android tablets and ipads will work too, not just phones.

Oh well, Guess my money shall go elsewhere, Surely it would be within Oculus' ability to give the option of setting up a Q2 via link cable and Oculus account and no Facebook account, quite annoying.

Guess I'll have to look at the more expensive options like Reverb G2.

You can use your old Oculus account for any other Oculus device, but for a Quest 2 you must have a Facebook account.

If you want the benefit of cross-buy (to get the Quest versions of any Rift games you own which support cross-buy), you would have to merge your existing Oculus account into your Facebook account. If you don’t plan to use the Quest stand-alone at all, you might prefer not to merge your old account, to keep it separate from Facebook. Currently when you use Link, you access your Rift account and games, and it doesn’t matter if the Quest has a different account. That may change in the future though; Oculus has announced plans to integrate Link into the Quest interface, so your Rift games show up in the Quest library when connected over Link. When they introduce that feature, it could possibly require the Rift account to match the one on the Quest.

@nalex66 wrote:

You can use your old Oculus account for any other Oculus device, but for a Quest 2 you must have a Facebook account.

If you want the benefit of cross-buy (to get the Quest versions of any Rift games you own which support cross-buy), you would have to merge your existing Oculus account into your Facebook account. If you don’t plan to use the Quest stand-alone at all, you might prefer not to merge your old account, to keep it separate from Facebook. Currently when you use Link, you access your Rift account and games, and it doesn’t matter if the Quest has a different account. That may change in the future though; Oculus has announced plans to integrate Link into the Quest interface, so your Rift games show up in the Quest library when connected over Link. When they introduce that feature, it could possibly require the Rift account to match the one on the Quest.

I actually had a Facebook account very temporarily about a year ago for all of 2 weeks, I had a profile picture of Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy and apparently that was grounds enough to perma ban me as it wasn't of my face, When I was on there I messaged friends and family, Liked a few fitness and health pages but never said anything to anyone, If it's so easy to get your account banned with no way of getting it back this makes investing a few hundred into a device, and then possible a few hundred into games, Quite risky as at any time it can turn into an expensive paper weight what with the hardware ID being tied to the Facebook account.

kojack
MVP
MVP

@Dicehunter wrote:
Quite risky as at any time it can turn into an expensive paper weight what with the hardware ID being tied to the Facebook account.

The hardware isn't tied to a Facebook account, it's just logged in to one to work. You can factory reset the Quest 2 and use a different account (or sell it to someone else).

You do lose all of your oculus bought games though if you get an account banned. But the hardware isn't bricked if you attach it to another account.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

@kojack wrote:

@Dicehunter wrote:
Quite risky as at any time it can turn into an expensive paper weight what with the hardware ID being tied to the Facebook account.

The hardware isn't tied to a Facebook account, it's just logged in to one to work. You can factory reset the Quest 2 and use a different account (or sell it to someone else).

This new information changes things then, I'll have to mull it over, Maybe borrow a friends smartphone for the setup process, I'll have to sit and think on it, Appreciate the helpful info.

I didn’t have a Facebook account until the requirement was introduced for friends/social features. I don’t use Facebook at all—I locked down my privacy settings, I didn’t add any friends except for my wife, I used my forum avatar for my photo, and I never click Like buttons or post anything. The account only exists as an extension of my Oculus account. So far it hasn’t caused me any grief.

I did eventually go back and add a real photo out of caution—between Rift, Go, and Quest, I’ve got hundreds of games tied to my account, so getting locked out would really suck.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?