cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 blurry? Spent the week trying to get it sharper...ideas?

Eldraad
Level 4
To me, the Quest 2 seems oddly blury. First, I wear glasses,
have a Rift S (got quest 2 since no word they will be making anything
other than the quest 2) and have been spending 5-6 hours a day trying to
get it to work as well as the You Tube Reviewers say it does (for link and wireless pc). Got this
HMD on the 12th by Amazon. The home screen was good enough to read the
menus without glasses (Surprised!) and very sharp with the glasses. BUT,
only the menus were sharp, the sides and distance are very blurry in the
home screen. I turned on 90 Hz but saw no difference in the blurry
areas.  Robo Recall Unplugged is also blurry when you stop for a moment
to look. [EDIT] Robo Recall may be a poor example as I do not think its graphics were updated for Quest 2? Now, blurriness is subjective but it is to the point where the
eyestrain is enough to make me stop after 10 mins or so.  The lens are
not fogging up, the HMD is not over heating.  There is a change that can
be made in the debug tool that supposedly raises the resolution but
that is on the PC and I suspect only for the link. I have held the HMD
to my face and changed the angles and distance and pressure, looking for
a sweet spot everyone talks about to no avail, I have also tried it
with the strap.  I can get it to the best position but the blur is the
same.  The IPD 2 setting is perfect for me and even adjusting it to 1/2
positions make no real difference. I tried it with a recommended third
party cable for the link and that was just a bad experience, with a USB 2
repeater cable and short USB C extension working better for some
reason. It Kind of hurts having spent the money for what was supposed to
be a superior HMD out of the box but that is really neither here nor there.
Mine is either blurry or low resolution with blur.  I have read posts on
other forums with the same problem and the same people telling them to
put their glasses back on lol! I EXPECT that this issue would be
resolved during one of the updates along with the 90 Hz for supporting
games, but with the return policy some people may not have a choice but
to return it.  If it does get fixed later they can buy it again.  The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to effect only glasses users but it is not wide spread.  Since I am new to the Quest 2 perhaps I have missed a setting or two.  Oh, can you walk around your home environment as you do in the Rift?
49 REPLIES 49

Reiiya
Level 2
I can chime in that my quest 2 is blurry too 😕 I've played on Rift S before, and compared to my current headset, Rift S was super sharp, so I have a reference point. I do hope to get a working replacement, rather than refund. None of the advice on the internets, including tinkerings with SideQuest truly helped alleviate headache this blur gives. Like all joy for VR I had got sucked out 😞

What i did found out, further from my face was the set, better the image. I had it like 5cm off my face and center point had reasonable clarity (ofcourse you lose edges completely this far away and its  unplayable). As if the issue is with lenses. Sadly.

Has anyone actually have found a solution?

cibernaio
Level 3
currently no solution for god rays, blurry lenses, poor black, excessive brightness. At the moment they have made improvements on other fronts, perhaps it is necessary to give them more time and trust..

RuneSR2
Level 15
Oculus has admitted there may be quality problems with the Quest 2 lenses:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jy59x5/psa_oculus_confirms_theyre_aware_of_the_lens/

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

cibernaio
Level 3
This is a good news..

crezzlin
Level 2
New Quest 2 owner.  Had the CV1 for year's.. I'm finding my image has them dam rays and also can't get a sweet spot when it comes to sharp images..bhas anyone's used some strong reading glasses? Nightmare..lol 

Danniego
Level 3
To be sure this is not the culprit of the blurriness: Make sure you cleaned the lenses after you removed the protective covers from it.
I also thought my screen was blurry but then i cleaned them and all was sharp.
Just to point it out as a potential solution. 

fishhunt
Level 5
Q2  brought  2 ,one in Oct when it came out 2 second one I brought in Dec for my son both blurry I think its to do with no screen door effect  I had oculus rift s had screen affect it was a bit clearer I had HP reverb g2 it was very clear in sweet spot but small, and blurry every where else, think its the lens they are using to get rid of the screen door effect 

crxefx
Level 5
I notice Q2 lenses get "blurrry" because when I flip the headset up on top of my head the lenses are touching my hair. I never had this problem with Q1 so, I just clean the lenses with a microfiber more often. Seems to me that the lenses are way closer on Q2. I have no blur on Q2 after cleaning the lenses.

lprometheuss
Level 2
Hey, i had the same problem Quest 2 in general looks pretty blurry and a lot of god rays, i dont use glasses any more i dont need it, but for some reason i tought if the lens are bad if i put some glasses just at the front of the lenses might fix that, and it got a lot betteer night and day diference, the glasses are to see at far and i dont even use them anymore but they replaced the Lens inself, so im gonna return the quest 2 i'l not use something that is broken 

MystaMagoo
Level 5
Best way I can describe it the in game character needs glasses for far distance objects.
Played Arizona Sunshine,everything just looks a tad blurry but put character hand up to your face and the resolution and detail is fantastic,the gun and writing on it,the sheen the skin texture and hairs on the back of the hand.
Asrock Taichi - Threadripper 1920X - 32gb 3200mhz - GTX1080 - M.2 970 evo