cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 controller fails to click.

zeppike
Protege
I am having this issue with the Quest2 touch controller that the right trigger fails to click. This developed in the last few weeks, as before I didn't have this. It is super aparent in games like beat saber, where to advance from the menu it uses a "click" from the trigger, but it is also apparent in SteamVR games played through virtualdesktop like SuperHot VR - I played through the first few chapters with firing the left trigger only - and BoneWorks. When I remap TriggerPress to a face button it works with the button, but it is really not optimal. Navigating in the quest menu works just fine with the trigger. But when looking at the trigger in vr it depresses much less then in real life. I guess there is a calibration issue or a missalignment developed in the hall efect sensor.
I'd bee super happy if you had any clue how to solve this.

I'd RMA it as this is the second issue with my controllers. (I had pairing issues with my left controller) but I live in Hungary and Oculus doesn't seem to ship here according to support. Which is super unfortunate. 😞
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

zeppike
Protege

I managed to solve this by reseting the heatset and logging in with my gf's facebook account. This imeediately fixed the problem, I removed every trace of the occulus app from my phone. Then logged in the headset with my account. It is perfect now. I think it is a shame, that oculus doesn't provide the means to reset the sensors, and they are even ok with replacing it instead of figuring out a solution.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

kojack
MVP
MVP
I haven't tested it myself with Virtual Desktop, but you should be able to run the Oculus Monitor program in my signature (it's a PC app, so needs a Link cable or Virtual Desktop for Quest 2).
It's a test program that shows the tracking and input state of Touch controllers, so you can see exactly what the trigger is doing (is it not changing at all? Limited range? Is it the raw, normal or no dead zone trigger values? Etc). It won't fix anything, but it should expose any problems.

(That version will say you have a Rift CV1, but it still works fine with the Quest 2, the Oculus SDK from back then just gets the name wrong)

Yep, Oculus don't support countries other than the 23 they officially sell in.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

zeppike
Protege

kojack said:

I haven't tested it myself with Virtual Desktop, but you should be able to run the Oculus Monitor program in my signature (it's a PC app, so needs a Link cable or Virtual Desktop for Quest 2).
It's a test program that shows the tracking and input state of Touch controllers, so you can see exactly what the trigger is doing (is it not changing at all? Limited range? Is it the raw, normal or no dead zone trigger values? Etc). It won't fix anything, but it should expose any problems.

(That version will say you have a Rift CV1, but it still works fine with the Quest 2, the Oculus SDK from back then just gets the name wrong)

Yep, Oculus don't support countries other than the 23 they officially sell in.

Cool debug tool you have there 🙂 Congrats and thanks for the help. I had no luck with Virtual desktop, but link worked like charm.
It looks like the range of values is limited at 0.37-ish (all 3) value if I squeeze real hard I can get to 0.38 so it is not limited at that point by software, phisically although hard to tell, but I don't think there is any diference between the right and left controllers range of motion.

It also changes from point to Index as expected. I guess some developers are using the raw values to figure out the click some rely on the built in API hence some apps are working just fine others fail to register the click.

And yeah although I hate to be in this situation I am getting used to not being supported and having to pay extra for almost any tech. I was and still pretty interested in developping my own app for the Quest so I took it as a learning/dev tool that will hopefully enable me down the line.

76jz3lvbr3fg.png

zeppike
Protege
Pretty cool debug tool you have there :smile:
Thanks for it and for taking the time trying to help me here :smile:

It looks like unlike the left trigger which goes up to 1.0 the right one stops at 0.37. If I squeez hard enough it can go up to 0.38. Physically there is no noticable difference between the two pulls. The Point also seem to change to Index as expected.

abkbuymeiob2.png

I guess software using the raw values to calculate the click fail to do so given it is super low. Others using the built in API do just fine.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Ah, yep, it's clipping to 37%. Most software is probably checking for 50%+ (I tend to use 80% in my own stuff) to act as a click.
It's possible something has come lose inside, causing the wrong values. The touch controllers use hall effect sensors for the triggers, these have a magnet in the trigger and a magnetic sensor picks up the distance. If one part of that has come lose it might be further away so shows lower values.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

zeppike
Protege
Upon further inspection everything looks tight. I wonder if polarity of the magnet could be an issue. If a knock during an intense beat saber session could shift the magnet enough to cause this.

kojack
MVP
MVP
That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure how its attached, but if a knock either twisted or moved away the magnet it would explain things.

zeppike
Protege
This took some time to collect courage for. I disassembled the thing. Rotated the magnet in 30 deg increments reassembled and tested it. It doesn't seem like the issue is with the magnets alignment. I didn't see any change in the trigger response. While I was there I disassembled the left controller as well just to confirm how it looks on a normally working item. It looks just the same. So I guess It must be a software issue. 

left vs right
rxlh4ntkrrum.jpgm10z7xf7zgnr.jpg

zeppike
Protege
I also tried to trigger the hall effect sensor with a bigger neodymium magnet and only ended up with around the same response as the trigger pull would induce. Which to me suggests, that the sensor needs re-calibration. Which there is no published method as far as I am aware.

zeppike
Protege

I managed to solve this by reseting the heatset and logging in with my gf's facebook account. This imeediately fixed the problem, I removed every trace of the occulus app from my phone. Then logged in the headset with my account. It is perfect now. I think it is a shame, that oculus doesn't provide the means to reset the sensors, and they are even ok with replacing it instead of figuring out a solution.