cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 controller rechargeable battery type

Dantragg
Explorer

After trying my rechargeable energizer 1.2 v, seemed ok but wasnt sure if was losing some tracking from lighting and software issues or from battery. After searching reddit and oculus threads, came across a few people that recommend enelop or enelop pro. 1 thread however broke down all the types of batteries: lithium, alkaline, Ni-Mh and Ni-Zn. Wish I would have marked it cause i cant find it again, but pretty sure the jist of it was that most of the battery types taper off or lose V as they drain, and that he recommended Ni-Zn. I got a set of Pikcell 1.6V 2500 mwh which he recommended. Had them in for around 2 weeks playing for at least an hour or 2 each day. After 2 weeks of play, both batteries still showed 100% in headset, then suddenly 1 controller said battery was dead and shut off. Took it out and tested it, and it was in fact dead, and now showing 10% in headset. Replaced it with a fully charged one, tested other controller just to see and its battery still had lots of life after 2 weeks. Started playing again and same thing happened to other controller with used battery. I know inside controller says 1.5V, and lots of people recommend enelop. Curious if anyone knows which type (alkaline, Ni-Zn, lithium) are best for them.

13 REPLIES 13

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I've used Eneloop standard 1900mahr rechargeables with all my Oculus controllers for a very long time and I get excellent runtimes with these.  Plus, they seem to last forever.  I'm pretty sure the higher voltage ni-zn ones are only useful for WMR headsets like the HP Reverb G2 because their controllers led's light up like flashlights, lol!  These are not necessary for Oculus controllers and I do not think there will be any advantages using them (although they probably will work ok).

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Ebows
Protege

I use tenavolts 1.5v constant rechargeable. Comes with 4 pack so it’s perfect for instant swapping. Great reviews on Amazon. 

Dantragg
Explorer

Either of you know rough runtime on both of these before needing recharge?

Ebows
Protege

TENAVOLTS 1.5V AA Lithium Rechargeable Battery, 1.8h Fast Charge, USB Charger, Constant Output at 1.5V, 2775 mWh, 4 Count with Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQ7QV7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_65NXA219SP1D4N478T0B?_encoding=UTF8...

mine last at least about 2 weeks + but I use everyday for multiple hours. But like I said comes in 4 pack so you can just swap them instantly. Link is above. 

Dantragg
Explorer

Seems my 1.6v are working like the tenevolt and lasts about as long. Just not sure if 1.6v will eventually damage controller or not. May just get both sets and try em since i have so many things that take batteries.

THANK YOU!  Wondering if I could get away with just buying batteries since I just bought Hixon 4 slot charger w/batteries (1.5V  3500mWh)... chrgr input: DC5V 2A  OUTPUT: DC5V 500mA*4 

I know NOTHING about electric. All I know is I play Beat Saber about 2 hrs a day, and after about an hour, tracking starts going, although it says 100% on both controllers. Never happened with the original batteries

jade8568
Protege

I was told to ONLY use 1.5V AA's in the quest 2 controllers as the 1.2V will not supply adequate power. They're 100% right! I bought 1.2V by mistake and totally ruined the enjoyment of playing beat saber. 

Are those good for the quest 2 as well as the 1? The question was in regards to the q2 wich is what I have.... and also looking to find the best batteries due to lagging tracking

I'm guessing it depends on the games or experiences you are doing.  I strickly play beat saber, synth rider, and the like (for exercise), where as my kids like more of the sit down things which I'm sure uses less battery. I need to change batteries faster than they do. I start to lose tracking on beat saber after about an hour all while it says they are at 100%. But if I do an experience... like on Wander, the batteries last forever