cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 functional without cameras?

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

For those concerned with privacy since it's probably easy to hack into the quest cameras I imagine just as an Android device. Is it possible to cover the cameras and still use the headset in some fashion?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

f_thomas
Explorer

You can use the Quest 2 without cameras (disable tracking in menu; it will do that automatically after a while if the cameras don't get a good-enough picture) but in that case it will fall back to 3DOF - like an Oculus Go. The controllers will be tracked through other means (sensors) but only their orientation, not their position. That means you can turn your head and point at things and you can use the Quest's user interface and some apps, such as the browser or movie players. But you can not walk throught the virtual world. Apps that require that (6DOF) will refuse to start. By the way, the picture from the cameras is b&w and very poor (low resolution, distorted). They would suck as spy cams.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I think this will hardly work, as the controllers are tracked using the cameras.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

With the Oculus go at least you can move your head around and it knows the direction you're looking at just fine with a DOT at the center using the volume buttons I believe to click on stuff.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

bump

If you have concerns about privacy you probably shouldn't be using a Facebook device in any way, shape or form!

Since, to the best of my knowledge all tracking is done with the cameras, the experience would be compromised to the point of vomit-inducing irrelevance without them.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

You're already being spied on through other means. Having cameras viewing right into my room is a step too far.

VR is not something for you then. I think all modern systems use camera tracking.

f_thomas
Explorer

You can use the Quest 2 without cameras (disable tracking in menu; it will do that automatically after a while if the cameras don't get a good-enough picture) but in that case it will fall back to 3DOF - like an Oculus Go. The controllers will be tracked through other means (sensors) but only their orientation, not their position. That means you can turn your head and point at things and you can use the Quest's user interface and some apps, such as the browser or movie players. But you can not walk throught the virtual world. Apps that require that (6DOF) will refuse to start. By the way, the picture from the cameras is b&w and very poor (low resolution, distorted). They would suck as spy cams.

You fixed my problem thanks. The support agents can really be inept sometimes 😡