cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 in Production?

Digikid1
Consultant
Thought that I would share this video with you guys.  Keep it civil please.

13 REPLIES 13

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There is no such thing as Production.

I kid, I kid. I just read an article on this as well:

I think that a new Quest, possibly a true Hybrid for native PCVR support, is in the works. Especially since the rumor states that 2-million units are the target production Quantity.
I would love to see an update to the Quest, since the current one is still just too damn heavy.

Digikid1
Consultant
I hope that they actually do RESEARCH on the facefoam part as the Quest is the most uncomfortable headset I have ever used.

That said I hope they improve on battery life as well.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Digikid1 said:

Thought that I would share this video with you guys.  Keep it civil please.

Now the quest v1 is a hybrid VR headset not too far off the CV1 /RiftS hopefully the quest V2 will offer PCVR at a higher level.

It makes sense imo as the riftS and quest are just too close in terms of the PCVR they offer.

It's pretty clear standalone VR is oculus' main priority but higher end PCVR via a quest 2 sounds a win win to me.

I wonder if this news was leaked because of the Reverb G2?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quest CV1 is about as close to PCVR as Oculus GO is to PCVR. Quest CV1 aint no Hybrid, as it can't even compare to the Rift CV1. I have both, tried both on PCVR, and the difference is night and day.

I think the fact that Quest simply allows for PCVR integration (not Hybrid) is exciting for many people, to the point that they are very forgiving of the obvious drawbacks. But I suppose that's a good thing for Oculus! They can release just about anything now, and as long as it connects to PCVR, the masses are happy.
And that will equate to even more PCVR exclusives, so definitely a win-win.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I hope the rumours are true, and I hope we get some real details from Oculus when they hold their virtual Oculus Connect event this fall. I would expect, given the success of Quest, that they would go all-in on a more comfortable, lighter Quest with a more powerful processor and better built-in (wireless) PCVR compatibility. It would be amazing if they also included some of their new lens tech from the Half Dome prototypes, but that's probably wishful thinking. Still, I would totally be onboard for a Quest refresh with improved specs.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If they manage to add Eye-Tracking, with an accompanying Killer App that implements it, then omg, finally...

hmqfi8qvhkru.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
If Quest 2 supports my 3 Oculus sensors I'm in too  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

If Quest 2 supports my 3 Oculus sensors I'm in too  

Yes! That would make it... a real Hybrid  😉

Wait, SteamVR just got a reset view button?

OK anyway, I think this headset will be a Quest iteration rather than a big upgrade. Having said that, if it's lighter and 90hz, maybe a little res bump too, I think that's good enough. Not convinced it'll have Link v2 or have proper hybrid abilities though... I think that's still to come in the future but I'd be happy to be wrong.

I think nalex has a point with wireless PCVR, even if it's not with this upcoming Quest, I think it's possible Oculus aren't going to produce any more tethered headsets 😮