cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 is a significant downgrade from Quest 1

dnaulin
Explorer
The square edges on the sides on the highest IPD setting is either a manufacturing defect or a huge design failure. For me the Quest 2 doesn't even feel like VR. The narrow FOV completely kills the immersion, and immersion is the whole point of VR. I'm so disappointed I'm actually considering closing my Oculus accounts. I don't want to invest in the Oculus ecosystem if they are going to release garbage hardware like this and call it an upgrade. This may be an upgrade from Google Cardboard but it is a significant downgrade from the original Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.
110 REPLIES 110

Aconix
Protege
The fov is apparently the same as quest 1

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think that the FOV is simply "more noticeable" due to the physical design of Quest 2. However, as someone who has GO, Rift, CV1, and Quest 1 in my home, I can say for certain that Quest 2 is a visual upgrade to all of them. The clarity, crispness, and richness of the visuals is hard to ignore. On top of the drastically reduced SDE and Glare. The Touch controllers are awesome as well; so much better than those of Quest 1.

The Quest 2's physical design that causes the FOV to become noticeable reminds me of the HTC Vive and Vive Pro. I tried both, and it had the same "binocular view" that Quest 2 has. I think it's part of the trade-off to make Quest 2 both smaller and lighter.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the outcome; and my eyes very quickly adjust.

MarkT25810
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

I think that the FOV is simply "more noticeable" due to the physical design of Quest 2. However, as someone who has GO, Rift, CV1, and Quest 1 in my home, I can say for certain that Quest 2 is a visual upgrade to all of them. The clarity, crispness, and richness of the visuals is hard to ignore. On top of the drastically reduced SDE and Glare. The Touch controllers are awesome as well; so much better than those of Quest 1.

The Quest 2's physical design that causes the FOV to become noticeable reminds me of the HTC Vive and Vive Pro. I tried both, and it had the same "binocular view" that Quest 2 has. I think it's part of the trade-off to make Quest 2 both smaller and lighter.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the outcome; and my eyes very quickly adjust.

Depends on what u want from VR I've decidtnot to get a quest 2 lower FOV or as you say more noticeable..it's a big downgrade of the main issues with VR...poor FOV

I don't give a rat's arse about crisper visuals when it means you have a more boxed in confined view lol

That's like having not so crisp vision but sticking loo roll tubes onto your eyes and it making vision a bit crisper bit proclaiming its way better than before even though you now have small holes to look through lol

MarkT25810
Expert Protege

dnaulin said:

The square edges on the sides on the highest IPD setting is either a manufacturing defect or a huge design failure. For me the Quest 2 doesn't even feel like VR. The narrow FOV completely kills the immersion, and immersion is the whole point of VR. I'm so disappointed I'm actually considering closing my Oculus accounts. I don't want to invest in the Oculus ecosystem if they are going to release garbage hardware like this and call it an upgrade. This may be an upgrade from Google Cardboard but it is a significant downgrade from the original Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.

It's why I've finally decided not to waste my money less FOV or more noticeable sides is the biggest downgrade they could do for me. My IPD is actually 66....I first remembered it being 67, I tried my friends late last night...well it was someone from work who is on my instagram., and neither of the 3 settings were good for me, I switched to setting 3 and that is just a no go....looks like crap with the sides

Setting 2 seemed to be the best choice even though it was not crisp or that good but 10 mins in I started to get a head coming on.

The rift S I had before there was zero issue with the software adjustment but I'm guessing the downfall on the quest 2 is the single screen...just try return the quest 2

If they say you can't because there is no fault just make a fault up lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dnaulin said:

Interesting that many focus on FOV for a start - I was expecting more oled posts, but for those you need to try many apps - it may take some weeks 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
Unfortunately FOV was never a high priority with Oculus even from the beginning. I understood why they kept it small then though because of limitations in graphical power at the time.

I guess they have they same issue with mobile gaming we had with PCVR in the early days. FOV will need to be restricted (or at least not increased) in the short term to handle the higher resolutions. 

saami81
Rising Star
I remember when i first got my Rift S and narrower fov than CV1 was really noticeable. It still is actually, but 2 vs 3 subpixels made simulators so much better that it was a trade off i was able to forgive.

What i have heard is that Quest 2 fov on widest ipd setting is about same as Rift S  fov. Horizontal fov, not vertical.

MarkT25810
Expert Protege

saami81 said:

I remember when i first got my Rift S and narrower fov than CV1 was really noticeable. It still is actually, but 2 vs 3 subpixels made simulators so much better that it was a trade off i was able to forgive.

What i have heard is that Quest 2 fov on widest ipd setting is about same as Rift S  fov. Horizontal fov, not vertical.

Not for me it isn't the same as the rift s or I would have ordered one, my IPD is 66 the middle setting is no good and the 3rd setting is still not clear and the FOV is less than the rift S which I owned since launch

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

saami81 said:

Not for me it isn't the same as the rift s or I would have ordered one, my IPD is 66 the middle setting is no good and the 3rd setting is still not clear and the FOV is less than the rift S which I owned since launch

If you're into big FOV, Index may be the best option - based on others and even my own TestHMD results, you'll get like 40% more FOV (vertical x horizontal area) - and that's compared to the CV1. But Index is about 3 times more expensive than Quest 2. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"