cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 is a significant downgrade from Quest 1

dnaulin
Level 3
The square edges on the sides on the highest IPD setting is either a manufacturing defect or a huge design failure. For me the Quest 2 doesn't even feel like VR. The narrow FOV completely kills the immersion, and immersion is the whole point of VR. I'm so disappointed I'm actually considering closing my Oculus accounts. I don't want to invest in the Oculus ecosystem if they are going to release garbage hardware like this and call it an upgrade. This may be an upgrade from Google Cardboard but it is a significant downgrade from the original Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.
110 REPLIES 110

Zenbane
Level 15

CvT2002 said:

I agree with op the only upgrade is the chip everything else is a downgrade.



The tracking accuracy and hand-controllers of Quest 2 are an upgrade over Quest 1. And comfort and weight is also an upgrade. I have both a Quest 1 and Quest 2, and I spent a decent amount of time switching them out last night to get the full comparison.

Quest 2 makes the Quest 1 feel like a demo kit.

BigQd
Level 3
The Dark Grey  is not even close to black making EVERY SCENE look "MILKY", (DO NOT BUY QUEST 2) not as good as original quest

Zenbane
Level 15

BigQd said:

The Dark Grey  is not even close to black making EVERY SCENE look "MILKY", (DO NOT BUY QUEST 2) not as good as original quest



I spent a lot of time in Virtual Desktop last night with my Quest 2. Plenty of black screens (the Void, Outer Space, dark Theater rooms), and while I agree that the black levels are not very deep, I would certainly not describe them as Grey or Milky.

I'll do more tests and comparisons today though.

enigma01
Level 10

Zenbane said:
I also think that the Quest 2's POV issue will be resolved once we get new Facial Covers (VR Cover?). The large foam on the Quest 2 plays a role in creating that "tunnel view" that is likely the real culprit here.


I emailed VR Cover today and they said ‘The thinner Standard foam is designed to bring you closer to the lens for a wider FOV. But the actual FOV experienced among users will ultimately be determined by one’s face shape and size so it is a bit tricky to give you an estimate’ 
I will be pre-ordering their interface once available. 

Zenbane
Level 15

enigma01 said:


Zenbane said:
I also think that the Quest 2's POV issue will be resolved once we get new Facial Covers (VR Cover?). The large foam on the Quest 2 plays a role in creating that "tunnel view" that is likely the real culprit here.


I emailed VR Cover today and they said ‘The thinner Standard foam is designed to bring you closer to the lens for a wider FOV. But the actual FOV experienced among users will ultimately be determined by one’s face shape and size so it is a bit tricky to give you an estimate’ 
I will be pre-ordering their interface once available. 



Everyone should see some improvement in FOV, unless their face is just really really extra large.  😮

I have VR Cover on my Quest 1, and the HMD hugs the sides of my face. However, the foam cover that comes default with Quest 2 sits atop my face, and pushes the HMD out. I have no doubt that the VR Cover will bring all of that much closer, as it does with Quest 1. And then the 2 or 3 degree FOV decrease will be all but gone.

dnaulin
Level 3
FOV and comfort are everything to me. The LCD is also a downgrade from the OLED. In real life dark values are dark, so having all of the dark values lifted via the LCD also reduces the feeling of immersion imo.

The FOV being more narrow wouldn't be so terrible if it weren't for the very noticeable horizontal black lines, which completely take me out of the experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an IPD greater than 67. I keep trying it on the medium setting but it makes the text unreadable and my eyes strain a lot. If I want unreadable text I can stick to my original Quest 😉

I'm kinda in shock that Oculus allowed this product into the wild. It should never have been released. Narrow FOV means you have to look around more to see, and looking around all over the place makes you more nauseated. Especially for casual VR people. I feel like this unit could actually turn a lot of people off to VR which could be really bad for the industry.

There simply is nothing else like the Quest to purchase as an alternative. So really my only choice now is to wait for the Quest 3, or just give up on VR for a while since the original Quest will probably get bricked in the next year or two.

Zenbane
Level 15
The text in Quest 2 is far more clear and readable in Quest 1.

But yeah, Quest 2 won't be a good fit for everyone. It's hard to find any product, really, that can satisfy 100% of consumers. Choose what works best for you and enjoy.

MarkT25810
Level 5

dnaulin said:

FOV and comfort are everything to me. The LCD is also a downgrade from the OLED. In real life dark values are dark, so having all of the dark values lifted via the LCD also reduces the feeling of immersion imo.

The FOV being more narrow wouldn't be so terrible if it weren't for the very noticeable horizontal black lines, which completely take me out of the experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an IPD greater than 67. I keep trying it on the medium setting but it makes the text unreadable and my eyes strain a lot. If I want unreadable text I can stick to my original Quest 😉

I'm kinda in shock that Oculus allowed this product into the wild. It should never have been released. Narrow FOV means you have to look around more to see, and looking around all over the place makes you more nauseated. Especially for casual VR people. I feel like this unit could actually turn a lot of people off to VR which could be really bad for the industry.

There simply is nothing else like the Quest to purchase as an alternative. So really my only choice now is to wait for the Quest 3, or just give up on VR for a while since the original Quest will probably get bricked in the next year or two.


I'm out of VR for what looks like a couple of years unfortunately unless I get a rift s again but I'm guessing they will stop.support soon since more are being made so that's kinda out the window too.

I'd have to use setting 3 on quest 2 which is a no go for me black bars and less FOV ....no point

Tbh I'd have used the headset more wired with link cable anyway other then quest 2 only games....games that are on pcvr as well.as quest I'd go pcvr all the way.

The index is no good as you need to set up the base stations and I'd have to set them up each time I wanted to play as I ain't leaving crap up in my living perminant...did this rift original Vive and rift and it grew old quick setting them up each time.

Then comes the hp G2....if it was not for the controller's lol.

So I am having to just not bother with VR now till another one that is right comes out...it certainly is not the quest 2

BatLB
Level 5

dnaulin said:

FOV and comfort are everything to me. The LCD is also a downgrade from the OLED. In real life dark values are dark, so having all of the dark values lifted via the LCD also reduces the feeling of immersion imo.

The FOV being more narrow wouldn't be so terrible if it weren't for the very noticeable horizontal black lines, which completely take me out of the experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an IPD greater than 67. I keep trying it on the medium setting but it makes the text unreadable and my eyes strain a lot. If I want unreadable text I can stick to my original Quest 😉

I'm kinda in shock that Oculus allowed this product into the wild. It should never have been released. Narrow FOV means you have to look around more to see, and looking around all over the place makes you more nauseated. Especially for casual VR people. I feel like this unit could actually turn a lot of people off to VR which could be really bad for the industry.

There simply is nothing else like the Quest to purchase as an alternative. So really my only choice now is to wait for the Quest 3, or just give up on VR for a while since the original Quest will probably get bricked in the next year or two.


I have both Quests laying around here and what you are saying is simply untrue.

The FOV is pretty much the same, sligthy worse maybe. The sharpness of the screen however should compensate that alot.

the "grey" from the LCD Lenses is something you experience with every.single.headset.out.there. I do not understand how this is even an argument. OLED has its limitations and while black is super black, everything else is way more mushy. Not a good trade off, since dark, deep blacks are pretty unnecessary to begin with. In Beat Saber for example the "gray black" is not even noticable, in Half Life Alyx it's the same story. I did NOT notice any difference in blacks during gameplay.

The Quest 2 Elite Head Strap is SO MUCH BETTER than the Quest 1. I literally can't move the Quest 2 when it is in my face, while the Quest 2 slides left and right in fast movement. CLEAR WINNER for Quest 2.

The Hardware is so much better too. Tracking is so much better. I NOT ONCE lost tracking in Beat Saber yesterday, while my Quest 1 usually loses tracking once in 3 songs. 

Sure, the Quest 2 HAS disadvantages over the Quest 1, but since I have to give one of those Quests to my Girlfriend now since she wants one at her place, I have NO clue which one I would rather keep. I am thinking of giving her the Quest 2 simply because its lighter, but from the VR quality, man, I would love to keep it myself.

Wasted13
Level 4
Really.. anybody saying it's a downgrade is here only because they have a problem with facebook...