cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 is a significant downgrade from Quest 1

dnaulin
Explorer
The square edges on the sides on the highest IPD setting is either a manufacturing defect or a huge design failure. For me the Quest 2 doesn't even feel like VR. The narrow FOV completely kills the immersion, and immersion is the whole point of VR. I'm so disappointed I'm actually considering closing my Oculus accounts. I don't want to invest in the Oculus ecosystem if they are going to release garbage hardware like this and call it an upgrade. This may be an upgrade from Google Cardboard but it is a significant downgrade from the original Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.
110 REPLIES 110

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

GuerreroNinja said:
Seems you are lucky to have a unit that actually shows less god rays than Q1. My unit, and seems lots of people also, lost the "clarity" and "crispness" completely due to the heavy god rays all around if you don't look EXACTLY the small sweet spot, that is, if you don't move at all your eyeballs to look around (the "puppet effect"). I like my Q1 and I preordered the Q2 on first day when I received the preorder email in September. I really wish I had a better experience really, but at this point idk if it was a faulty unit or just a regular unit and for some people the Q2 shows that terrible flaw.

I'll do another test with both units today, specifically looking at the God Rays. When I last switched back and forth, I didn't notice any "downgrade" or worsening of God Rays. I probably wouldn't go as far as to say that Quest 2 improves God Rays. But I definitely do not feel that it made God Rays worse.

I understand the difference in lenses, but I think that there is a stigma that comes with LCD lenses that creates some automatic soundbites. For example, there were threads on this forum complaining about Black Levels on Quest 2. I strongly feel that many of those complaints exaggerated the situation, as I was able to load up the exact software in question and verify that things were nowhere near as bad as some were claiming. In one example, a user stated that the dark hallways in The Manor were unplayable due to massive 'cloudy greying' of the environment. When I played through the entire experience and shared my screenshot, I found a minor mura effect, but nothing close to an unplayable cloudy gray that was reported. I shared my screenshots but never received much feedback beyond that.

What I do often see instead, though, are people agreeing with the reports and automatically blaming the LCD lenses. These confirmations seem more to due with auto-agreeing instead of verifying with first-hand experience. The auto-agreeing happens due to the LCD lens stigma.

To paraphrase what Carmack stated though,
"John Carmack said that the better blacks with OLED were basically only theoretical because for making them work on the Quest they actually couldn't take advantage of that.''
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/iwjv89/quest_1_vs_quest_2_close_up_through_the_lens/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, when I received my Q2 the first thing I did was trying my Q1 games I am used to play. Despite the god rays, I saw the improved resolution and I did not find anything wrong with blacks. Yes, not as deep as Q1, but not as bad as some people say, not so "cloudy". I tried Q2 without bias, but, from the very first second, I was like "woa! looks so good... only in the center!". For an hour I tried everything, like adding the glasses spacer, switch all IPD, even "middle IPD" with no luck. The god rays were so noticeable even in games and not only on black backgrounds. I tried to "forget" about Q2 god rays using it daily for 2 weeks, to let my brain handle them and ignore them as some people recommended. That effort ended in eyestrains and headaches, so not an option.

I really hope it was my unit. I like the quest, really. If there is some official statement regarding this issue and some kind of fix I will buy them again for sure. I hope I can test another unit just to be sure, but I live in the countryside and no one has one in 100km around 😞

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
How are you guys finding the tracking?

So far that's been the biggest issue for me.

Some games are fine but other games where your hands are at your sides I'm getting my left hand teleporting just above my face and it's really annoying.

I remember when Rift S was first released the tracking was really bad but over the course of a year they improved the tracking dramatically to a point where I could recommend the Rift S and the tracking was pretty decent (for inside/out tracking anyway).

But I presumed after all this time with a new VR headset coming out (Quest 2) They would have copied/pasted their inside/out code from Rift S to Quest 2 and in doing so copying over all their hard work.

But that doesn't seem to be the case, it kind of feels like going back to Square one. 

I'll do more testing and playing more games. Beat Saber seems ok but in Wilson's Heart my hand kept teleporting in front of my face every time the cameras couldn't see it. Even if only for a split a second...

I still don't understand why to this day Oculus haven't fixed this.

Have you guys also experienced this hand teleporting/losing tracking? It seems to do it 90% only with my left hand. Which is exactly the same thing it did with the Rift S. How weird is that.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you guys also experienced this hand teleporting/losing tracking? It seems to do it 90% only with my left hand. Which is exactly the same thing it did with the Rift S. How weird is that.

I did not experience major problems on tracking, and I am a Beat Saber player. In fact, I found that Q2 works ok in darker environments than Q1, just make sure the cameras are clean, batteries full and the room well lighted. About the batteries: mine did not show the charge right in UI. An empty battery showed as half full.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, tracking with my Q2 is at least as good, maybe even a little better than my Q1.  Like all inside-out tracking it's important to have fairly even room lighting.  Very strong overhead lights or too close to a sunlit window can cause problems.  And like the op said, low battery levels (controller and/or headset) can cause tracking problems.

As far as so-called God Rays go, I only notice these if I get too much light bleed through the faceplate.  If you really want to see them, shine a flashlight from under your nose, lol!  With proper placement and even room lighting I find the Q2 god rays are pretty minimal, maybe a little less than my Q1 (which is already pretty minimal).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Wow guys, I tried streaming gears of war 5 on Xbox game pass tonight using virtual desktop + Xbox joypad and it was an amazing experience!!!

I didn't like the "cloud" version as graphics were downgraded but the worst part was there was like really bad latency from the cloud server, so it felt like you would press left and a half second later it would move left...can't play a game like that.

But I installed the game and ran the same game from my PC and streamed over 5G wifi with virtual desktop and the game looked and ran amazing! 100% smooth so that was awesome.

I'm going to try loads of games over next few days and I'll give more feedback.

Really loving this Quest 2 so far. Other then the head strap, that sucked! it was cutting into my ears! lol But I went out straight away and bought the elite head strap and that solved that problem. Also I've not had any cracking (yet) on my elite strap like others have said.

So far I would say resolution, clarity, colours, everything you see is 10/10 amazing. 
The touch controllers are amazing too! And the battery never goes down! lol I've literally been using this Quest 2 every single day for 7 days and the battery is still showing 100% for both touch controllers!!! WTH??? lol It's magic!

I just hope they keep patching the tracking and make the tracking better but other then that I'm really enjoying it so far.

Beat Saber, Audica, Pistol whip are all running fine so far so I'm happy about that.

Also I tried Wilson's Heart and even after all these years it's amazing! It looks, feels and plays amazing! Honestly guys go play Wilson's Heart again, you'll love it! I never completed it on my Rift CV1 either so I'm defo going to complete it this time on my Quest.

Oh and also watching movies on Bigscreen is amazing. I was watching Pulp Fiction and Dredd in a big cinema and it was so good! The quality of the picture and sound were both 10/10!
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Unfortunately tracking with wireless and Virtual Desktop is never going to be quite as good as either standalone or with Link.  Guy, the VD developer has confirmed this on his Discord channel.  It's still very good though imho.

My Q2 is definitely the best media player ever.  I've enjoyed quite a few Amazon Prime tv shows and movies.  For movies an external battery pack is pretty handy (or you can try it with the charger connected as well).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Genericat
Expert Protege
Clickbait title if there ever was one.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

How are you guys finding the tracking?

So far that's been the biggest issue for me.

Some games are fine but other games where your hands are at your sides I'm getting my left hand teleporting just above my face and it's really annoying.

I remember when Rift S was first released the tracking was really bad but over the course of a year they improved the tracking dramatically to a point where I could recommend the Rift S and the tracking was pretty decent (for inside/out tracking anyway).

But I presumed after all this time with a new VR headset coming out (Quest 2) They would have copied/pasted their inside/out code from Rift S to Quest 2 and in doing so copying over all their hard work.

But that doesn't seem to be the case, it kind of feels like going back to Square one. 

I'll do more testing and playing more games. Beat Saber seems ok but in Wilson's Heart my hand kept teleporting in front of my face every time the cameras couldn't see it. Even if only for a split a second...

I still don't understand why to this day Oculus haven't fixed this.

Tracking is at strange beast on the Q2, for me beat saber seems to be perfect over link or 5g, apart from the odd controller design issue of the sticking up tracking rings striking each other when your in a frantic cross arms beat saber song, but in a game like SkyrimVr when you go to aim the bow and arrow tracking flaks out and it looks like your trying to aim while on a unicycle with a flat tire going down a steep cobbled road............whereas the same game on the Cv1 the tracking is so solid you could build a house on it.......so i suspect some tweaking to the tracking of the Q2 will be in future patches to make it a more solid in feel rather than the present jangly in some games, although not as jangly as the WMR controllers, but not a solid as the CV1 controllers.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@OmegaM4N  If you think that 4x camera inside-out tracking is ever going to be as solid as a 3x sensor cv1, you're dreaming mate imho.  Even the 5x camera Rift S cannot do this.  And, don't get me started about my 6x camera Cosmos, lol!