cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 is draining while linked to PC. Need a solution.

harpuajim
Explorer
I was playing this evening and after about 3 1/2 hours I got the notification that my battery was low, I believe at 20%.  I am using an official Oculus link cable and have it plugged into the USB-C port on my motherboard.  I am assuming that the motherboard port is not providing enough power.  Does anyone here have any recommendations or suggestions on what I should do next?  Would a PCIe card be the logical next step?  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Aymito2
Expert Protege
does the O link support  power during connection ?

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
There are lot of variables that determine how much power goes to your Quest while playing. The actual voltage coming out of the port, the length of the cable, the quality of the cable, etc. 

I have not heard yet of anyone who doesn't loose some battery while playing. I have a fairly long cable and I would guess that I could get about 5ish hours using link, if I could play that long in one session.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

harpuajim
Explorer

Aymito2 said:

does the O link support  power during connection ?

I am under the impression that it does because I would normally get 2 hours out of my headset but tonight I got closer to 4.

harpuajim
Explorer

There are lot of variables that determine how much power goes to your Quest while playing. The actual voltage coming out of the port, the length of the cable, the quality of the cable, etc. 

I have not heard yet of anyone who doesn't loose some battery while playing. I have a fairly long cable and I would guess that I could get about 5ish hours using link, if I could play that long in one session.

It's the official Oculus link cable so I can only assume that it meets all the necessary specs.  The only other thing at play is the port. 

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

harpuajim said:

It's the official Oculus link cable so I can only assume that it meets all the necessary specs.  The only other thing at play is the port. 

The real point I was making is that I think your expectations are off. If you are expecting that your headset will stay at 100% charge while you are playing it, I think you are expecting something that is impossible. 

Others have determined that battery drain is likely inevitable though link and possibly even with the charger and any cord longer than the included cable. Some of them use the Official Cable and it drains.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/93898/official-link-cable-drain-battery/p1

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

harpuajim
Explorer

harpuajim said:

The real point I was making is that I think your expectations are off. If you are expecting that your headset will stay at 100% charge while you are playing it, I think you are expecting something that is impossible. 

Others have determined that battery drain is likely inevitable though link and possibly even with the charger and any cord longer than the included cable. Some of them use the Official Cable and it drains.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/93898/official-link-cable-drain-battery/p1

That thread seems to say that as long as the port you're plugging into is 5v3a that you would at a minimum get a slow trickle and at best gain a slow charge.  Looks like I just need to find the right PCIe card or hub to make this happen.

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
Just to weigh in on the validity of expecting it to stay charged...

I run my quest 2 off a laptop with the official cable (and no USB adapters), and mine stays at 93% the entire time I play. It seems to go no higher (probably to refrain from max charging it constantly), but every time i set it down to go to the bathroom/get a drink it’s right at 93%. 

harpuajim
Explorer

Just to weigh in on the validity of expecting it to stay charged...

I run my quest 2 off a laptop with the official cable (and no USB adapters), and mine stays at 93% the entire time I play. It seems to go no higher (probably to refrain from max charging it constantly), but every time i set it down to go to the bathroom/get a drink it’s right at 93%. 

Now all of the sudden after long session I am also sitting at around 93% battery with no more gradual drain.  I honestly don't know what's going on lol.

harpuajim
Explorer
I think I may have figured it out but I'm not 100% sure.  At first I thought my USB-C port wasn't delivering enough power but I think it may be a thermal thing.  I am starting to think that when the headset gets too hot it disables charging while linked up in order to protect the components from getting damaged.  If the headset is within the thermal limits then it will charge while being linked up.  That would explain why sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't.