cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 stuck in USB UPDATE MODE!! Please help!

Qupo
Explorer
So I just updated to the newest version 23 around noon, spent a couple of hours playing Half-Life Alyx till the battery is very low. Turned off the device, charge it. And then tonight I unplugged the charging cable, and I notice that the sidelight doesn't turn off automatically and the light is orange instead of green for some reason. So I decided to take a peek and the screen is somehow ON and it just says USB Update Mode.

bv901mmsepnw.jpg

I have 5 options available on the Screen: Boot device, Device Info, Factory Reset, Sideload Update, Power Off.

None of these options work:
-Boot device would just restart the quest back to this very same screen.
-Device info just shows info of the device like serial number, Ram Size, etc.
-Factory Reset would just restart the device back to this screen just like what the Boot Device option did.
-Same with Sideload Update, it just restarts the device.
-Power Off would turn off the device. And if I turn it back on, I get the same USB Update Mode screen.

I'm at a loss here, is there a fail-safe to force Factory Reset the device? I'm seriously in need of help, I don't have the luxury of just sending the device back, unfortunately. Does anyone ever have the same experience? How can I get past this USB Update Mode screen? Thank you kindly for your help in advance.
48 REPLIES 48

Raoul_Duk3
Explorer
I’m having the same problem. My quest 2 is stuck in a loop and i can’t get past that screen. Tried all options. Would also appreciate some help on this as i can’t seem to find a solution online even though it seems to be a common problem.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Bumping so hopefully more people might see your post. Would like to know how you can manage to fix this problem.

Edit: yikes found this thread. Looks like a serious common problem.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81203/brand-new-oculus-quest-stuck-in-usb-update-mo...

Wibbledtodeath
Honored Guest
Exact same issue here. Update seems to have bricked by Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Quest 2 just bricked. I submitted a support ticket but reading posts it appears that could take awhile. Please post  if anyone finds a solution. 

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
I had this issue with my quest 1 at one point and holding down the volume down and power button fixed it for me.  The only thing is you have to hold it for a LONG time; 30 seconds worked for me.  That said this looks like a more widespread issue and it's the quest 2 instead of the 1.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

Qupo
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion Strongit, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, I've been holding the power button down for what must be up to 30min at one time, yes I'm really that desperate at this point. What it does is it just keeps restarting the device back into USB Update mode. So choosing the "Boot Device" option will restart the device back into USB Update Mode, and holding the power button down just acts as if I keep clicking ok and it keeps restarting the device.

That's what happened when I keep pressing the power button. But if I press and hold the power and volume down button, all it does is just keep restarting the device about every 10 seconds, instead of every 2 seconds like when I press and hold only the power button. I just want to do a factory reset at this point, just let me reconfigure my device and let me boot into my home screen again.

Oculus support asked me to send the device back but the whole ordeal will cost me quite a lot, even more than the actual price of the device. I've been spending most of my saved up money on oculus & steam vr games and vr accessories and now I have nothing, I can't afford to send my quest 2 back, or even buy a new one.

My first VR experience, what a joke. Either this headset can turn itself ON mid-charging and fuck something up by itself. Or maybe some buttons on the headset can get accidentally pressed when I charged it while putting it inside the original box, and then somehow something goes wrong.

At this point I have no idea, I've been treating it like a child, handled it with care, always cleaning it after use, and this is what I get. I was relying too much on this device to help with my recovery and now I'm fucked.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

Qupo said:

Thanks for the suggestion Strongit, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, I've been holding the power button down for what must be up to 30min at one time, yes I'm really that desperate at this point. What it does is it just keeps restarting the device back into USB Update mode. So choosing the "Boot Device" option will restart the device back into USB Update Mode, and holding the power button down just acts as if I keep clicking ok and it keeps restarting the device.

That's what happened when I keep pressing the power button. But if I press and hold the power and volume down button, all it does is just keep restarting the device about every 10 seconds, instead of every 2 seconds like when I press and hold only the power button. I just want to do a factory reset at this point, just let me reconfigure my device and let me boot into my home screen again.

Oculus support asked me to send the device back but the whole ordeal will cost me quite a lot, even more than the actual price of the device. I've been spending most of my saved up money on oculus & steam vr games and vr accessories and now I have nothing, I can't afford to send my quest 2 back, or even buy a new one.

My first VR experience, what a joke. Either this headset can turn itself ON mid-charging and fuck something up by itself. Or maybe some buttons on the headset can get accidentally pressed when I charged it while putting it inside the original box, and then somehow something goes wrong.

At this point I have no idea, I've been treating it like a child, handled it with care, always cleaning it after use, and this is what I get. I was relying too much on this device to help with my recovery and now I'm fucked.

Oculus's customer service leaves something to be desired, to put it VERY mildly.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Try live chat with 3+ agents to see if one can help you out. Some might be more savvy than others.

Qupo
Explorer
Thanks aguy10, didn't know that was an option. How could I do a live chat with oculus support? I've tried looking for support before and I ended up having two options, either read faq or submit a support ticket via email.