cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 unable to pair xbox one controller

Robnmish
Honored Guest
I have tried 3 of my controllers and all of them show paired on the phone app, when i click pair with the headset on it continually goes from connecting to not connected. Just back and forth and the xbox controller is blinking slowly as if it is unable to connect.
36 REPLIES 36

Dbix11
Honored Guest
I was so excited when I read this and learned yours worked. Especially because i did get the gamepad to connect one time, very early into having the quest 2. Then it wouldnt connect after that

Attempted to turn off those experimental features and pair.. did not work

Then did a factory reset and of course it paired instantly! 

Right now I have automatic updates turned off until they come out with an official fix. Thank you so much for posting what worked for you

HugeCat
Honored Guest

after some trouble shooting I discovered that:

1. A factory reset let me pair a gamepad.

2. The issue came back either when enabling hand-tracking or the passthrough experimental feature (possibly in combination with setting the environment to passthrough as well).

3. When disabling hand-tracking and passthough and restarting quest 2, I'm able to pair a gamepad again.

You are a legend. I tried to disable both hand-tracking and the passthrough and reboot. Now my Xbox controller can successfully pair with quest2. Tried a few xCloud games and I'm so happy. Thanks a lot!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've tried everything for hours but I've still not been able to link my Xbox wireless controller to my Quest 2.

It works fine with Rift CV1, Rift S and GO but for some reason the Oculus App on my phone and the pairing feature inside my Quest 2 doesn't find my controller and I really can't understand why.

Is there anything else we can try to get this working?

I even installed latest firmware in windows for xbox controller using the xbox accessories app. 

I really wanted to try the Xbox Game Pass with my Quest 2 but without a controller I am unable to play.  :'(
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
My Xbox wireless controller works fine with my Q2 in PCVR mode when using either Link or wireless w/VD (which because there is a gamepad option with VD controller tab is not really necessary).  This is probably because it is already paired with my PC. 

I cannot honestly think why I would want to use it with any mobile VR games.  While I did find it useful to use with my Go for a few mobile VR games, it was a real pita to need to re-pair it again to my PC every time I wanted to switch back to PCVR.  As far as using my Q2 for flat screen, I much prefer using my monitor or TV.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP
None of my Xbox One controllers have bluetooth (that was a later feature, the first models didn't have it) so I can't test, but my Dual Shock 4 controller seems to pair with the Quest 2 fine.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

frted
Explorer
What worked for me....
1. turn off pass-through
2. reboot quest
3. try to connect your controller
if that does not work try the same steps above but turn off hands
hope it helps

ThePixelCowboy
Protege

frted said:

What worked for me....
1. turn off pass-through
2. reboot quest
hope it helps

Can you re-enable passthrough after pairing?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I ended up using a wire as I realised my Xbox controller has no Bluetooth as it's over 4 years old. It just has wireless dongle that came with original Rift CV1.

I looked online at buying an Xbox Bluetooth joypad but they cost between £50-£80, so expensive, just for a joypad.

I'll just use a wire for a now and see if this xbox game pass works ok on Quest 2.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

frted
Explorer

frted said:

What worked for me....
1. turn off pass-through
2. reboot quest
hope it helps

Can you re-enable passthrough after pairing?

I have not tried that

D3stroyah
Honored Guest
it does not work. Support is playing around with me. Sorry support i'm pissed! I also did a factory reset and updated firmware on xbox one S BT pad. FIRST THING I DID AFTER factory reset was pairing. Paired but CANT CONNECT. 
Look into this. There's an OBVIOUS bug.