cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 12.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Oculus Link
  • AMD GPUs are now supported! Please see the Oculus Link Compatibility Guide for more details.
  • We have separated the system audio from VR audio so that you'll only hear VR game audio while using Link, instead of hearing game and desktop audio together.
  • The Oculus Debug Tool now supports changing Oculus Link graphics settings.
  • General performance improvements and stability fixes.
  • Known issues:
    • In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
    • The microphone has been temporarily disabled. We are working to re-enable it in a future software update.

Casting
  • New features built on top of phone casting will allow you to better guide someone else through their first VR experience while casting from the headset to your phone. For example, while your friend is wearing the headset, you can act as “tour guide” for them using several new options to do things like launch the Oculus First Steps tutorial or reset the headset view.

Store
  • In-VR app description pages, including the reviews section, have been updated with a new design.
  • You can now add a payment method in VR (PayPal and credit card) if you have not previously set up a payment method on your account in the mobile app.

Per-app Privacy Settings
  • We launched a new way for you to choose the types of information that individual apps can share on the platform about your use of those apps, like achievements. Under privacy settings in the Oculus app, you can access a full list of apps you have installed. You can turn off sharing for individual apps, so that app won’t share your activity, like achievements, or your status anywhere on Quest.

App Permissions Manager
  • We have developed a new interface within the Settings menu that lists all of your installed applications and their associated permissions. It allows you to filter apps by permission type and adjust each permission.

Search
  • Search will now live update the results as you type.

Voice Commands (Beta)
  • Use your voice to navigate, control your device, and find new apps and games by clicking the Voice Commands button on the Home menu. This beta feature is rolling out gradually, so not everyone will see it in this software update.

New Experiments

This section includes new features we’re testing for future releases. You can opt-in to experimental features by selecting Settings > Experiments in-VR. Please note, the experiments section includes features that are still being developed, and so you may encounter anything from minor-issues to app-crashes.

• Hand Tracking - Use your hands as an additional input method for navigation and controls in the Home environment and some Oculus applications. After opting-in via Settings > Experiments, you will be able to view a tutorial on how to use hand tracking. This tutorial will also be available in your Library.
Social
  • New social features powered by Facebook – Starting today, when you choose to log into Facebook from Oculus, you’ll be able to access new social features that make it easier for you to connect with other people, including:
    • Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together
    • Join your friends in VR directly from any device with links that open to where your friends are within an app, and see the most popular destinations where people are playing in VR
    • User-created Events, so you can organize meetups or multiplayer games with friends
    • Share photos, videos, and livestreaming to Facebook, allowing you to share your favorite moments to Facebook Groups from VR
    • Parties that any of your Oculus friends can join (previously parties were only invite-only)
    • Messenger friends can easily join you in VR when you send them links to join you where you’re playing
  • We’re updating the Oculus Privacy Policy to clarify that these social features are also provided by Facebook. The updated Privacy Policy clarifies how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.
145 REPLIES 145

joetheuntalente
Honored Guest
Problem when Im using Link daily for production but PC software updated and Quest hasnt yet so Link is no longer available. Is there a way to roll pc update back to the link compatible version?

Sofian75
Expert Protege

Oculus Link
  • The Oculus Debug Tool now supports changing Oculus Link graphics settings.

Does it mean Oculus tray tool is working now, or do we have to use the debug tool?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have separated the system audio from VR audio so that you'll only hear VR game audio while using Link, instead of hearing game and desktop audio together.

Now that explains the new Oculus device that appeared on my computer. But why was it necessary exactly?
(Also, why the heck would it appear on my computer when I don't own a Quest and Link?)

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm still not getting VR audio with Link - only for apps installed in Home, anything else comes through the PC speakers and there isn't any other device listed to select in Windows and I can't find any setting to change it in Quest. Hold on...

Just had a try with Instrument Studio VR (installed in Rift Home) and had the same problem with the audio. App audio comes through PC speakers - Home audio comes through the headset. All Quest Home apps play through the headset.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@JD-UK: Weird, there should be an Oculus device on Windows. Maybe try repair the install?

Icepick869
Protege

Wakamu said:

i got the update but there is no hand tracking option in the experiments, still only bluetooth pairing ....

Hey there - after getting an update, it's always good to reboot your headset just to ensure that all listed features populate. If you still don't see the feature after a reboot or two, please let me know!

I have Never seen anything in Experiments except for the Bluetooth pairing. I've tried everything I can think of and gotten nowhere. When I tried to get support to help I was told nothing was available, in spite of posts here that were contradictory. Link beta showed up, but not under Experiments. 

EpicGamenator
Explorer
Where is passthrough on demand?

jmalmsten
Adventurer
So as someone who has never seen anything under experiments except the Bluetooth and Reset experiments options... 

And I'm apparently still not deemed worthy of v12...

Can I expect to see any of the fun innovations I keep hearing about even if I get v12? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still anxiously awaiting V12 for my Quest.
Que fingers tapping on the desk...

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
@ManuO9 @Icepick869 @jmalmsten - thanks for reporting folks. I actually made a note about the things that were supposedly in the experiments section on the v11 release note thread late last week (comment here). TL;DR there was a miscommunication and additional features listed initially in v11 release notes are not in the experiments section of settings. With v12, hand tracking is definitely in the experiments section. So if you have v12, you should see the bluetooth pairing and hand tracking options now. If you're not seeing hand tracking on v12, please reboot your headset a couple times. If you're still not seeing it after a couple reboots, please let me know as that would be unexpected. We're working to improve this process in the future. Thanks for hanging in there with us in the meantime!