cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 8.0 Release Notes

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager
Features and updates listed here apply to Quest, Go and Gear VR unless otherwise noted. All content highlighted below will begin roll-out during the week of August 19, 2019.

VR settings
  • We’ve added an option in the settings panel for night mode. This option changes your headset display to warmer colors, which may be easier on your eyes.
Guardian
  • You can now clear all existing Guardian maps from your Guardian settings menu.
    • To do this, select Guardian from your settings panel, scroll to the bottom of the Guardian options and select Clear next to the Clear Boundary History option.
Sharing
  • You can now share your in-VR screenshots from your gallery to Facebook.
    • To do this, select Sharing > Share Photos,select the photo you want to share, choose your audience, add a caption and click Share to Facebook.
44 REPLIES 44

kevinwarhaft
Level 4
when will the next update be after this one what will be in it
kevin warhaft

morppheus000
Level 2
i just want know something , if someone have the real answer ! the level of resolution in actual game on the Quest are not so high ., exeption for the new game Red Matter,!!! The graphic limitation exemple for ROBO RECALL are soo visible . do you think this downgrade its only for SAVE SPACE  on the Quest or its more a processor limit , because if that is realy for save space i can delet many apps and reinstall it after play a better game ! i have the 128gb Quest and im still with many GB data free on my Quest  can we have a 25-30 gb and more  game with almost full resolution, like on pc????? personally i prefert have 2 game only on my Quest But 2 Game AA  who push the limit  power of the Oculus Quest .

Spuzzum
Level 9

Is the USB function finally unlocked as well? The OTG USB to Ethernet function is not working. Now I can't access my movies and files from my NAS without super speed.

Why would you need a USB OTG for accessing files on your network NAS? My home wifi network is 140Mbps, and all I do is connect my Quest to the network, then I can access the files through Skybox VR player without issues. And although 140Mbps isn't 'super speed', it's fast enough to stream 4K VR180 videos. How much faster do you need?

Spuzzum
Level 9

i just want know something , if someone have the real answer ! the level of resolution in actual game on the Quest are not so high ., exeption for the new game Red Matter,!!! The graphic limitation exemple for ROBO RECALL are soo visible . do you think this downgrade its only for SAVE SPACE  on the Quest or its more a processor limit , because if that is realy for save space i can delet many apps and reinstall it after play a better game ! i have the 128gb Quest and im still with many GB data free on my Quest  can we have a 25-30 gb and more  game with almost full resolution, like on pc????? personally i prefert have 2 game only on my Quest But 2 Game AA  who push the limit  power of the Oculus Quest .

The Quest isn't a pcvr device...it's a gaming console, and a portable one at that. Think of pc gaming, compared to the Playstation, compared to the Playstation portable. You literally have 3 grades of quality between them. The 'downgrade' in visuals isn't because they're trying to save space...it's because you're dealing with a much inferior mobile phone processor and gpu...not an actual pc cpu and gpu. Obviously the phone can't handle what the pc can. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. They had to reduce the amount of polygons that make up every single image on screen, reduce textures, and eliminate things like reflections and water/puddles. That's the limitation of the mobile phone. But...the Quest is only 3 months old, and the devs are still learning what can be done...they've just started using Vulcan, currently being used in Red Matter, and they're going to get Unity before the year's out as well. Look at Red Matter...see what's actually possible once they start using Vulcan. Now imagine what that can do to Robo Recall. It's going to make a huge difference.

VRBabe14
Level 5
@Spuzzum - I can see Robo Recall 2 or hopefully they can update the first one with the added graphical effects.
Oculus Quest Status: RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019 Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status: RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT Oculus Rift DK2

Spuzzum
Level 9
I'd love to see a Robo Recall 2, just like Budget Cuts 2 that's coming out. 🙂

I was a bit mistaken about Red Matter...it seems they wrote their own shaders, but the Vulcan support will be huge just the same, as well as Unity.

Psychozirkus
Level 3
My Quest updated to 8.0 yesterday. After the update my wifi-connection crashes every few minutes. I must turn wifi off and on again on the quest to reenable the connection. Until the new firmware I had absolutly no problems with the connection...

Today I also made a factory reset, but it doesnt help

JohanTEA
Level 5

My Quest updated to 8.0 yesterday. After the update my wifi-connection crashes every few minutes. I must turn wifi off and on again on the quest to reenable the connection. Until the new firmware I had absolutly no problems with the connection...

Today I also made a factory reset, but it doesnt help

Same here but my wifi reconnect by itself.

tooldad
Level 3
Same for me as well.  Wi-Fi drops every 10 minutes or so and I have to turn it off and back on to reconnect.  Also sometimes games blank out for a couple of seconds and then return.  All was working fine before 8.0 got installed.

ezop73
Level 7

tooldad said:

Same for me as well.  Wi-Fi drops every 10 minutes or so and I have to turn it off and back on to reconnect.  Also sometimes games blank out for a couple of seconds and then return.  All was working fine before 8.0 got installed.

I'm fortunate so far, no wifi issues but i am getting loads of black outs that are pushing me back to guardian even when the room is well lit, its like its scans the guardian twice just to make sure.. if that makes any sense.