cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Link Graphics Card Recommendations

richard_hoar
Honored Guest
Hi,

I've got an Oculus Quest which is an awesome bit of kit.  But am looking to enhance it by making user of the link cable to attach to my PC. My PC is an i7-4770k with 24GB RAM but definitely need to update gpu and was considering a 1070.. Does anyone have experience with this cpu and a 1070?  My main intention is to use this for simulation games such as Project Cars 2. But also interested in how it would perform with more modern games too. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Richard
8 REPLIES 8

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
This should help you. Here is a list of the GPU that are known to work with Oculus Link.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Hi,

I've got an Oculus Quest which is an awesome bit of kit.  But am looking to enhance it by making user of the link cable to attach to my PC. My PC is an i7-4770k with 24GB RAM but definitely need to update gpu and was considering a 1070.. Does anyone have experience with this cpu and a 1070?  My main intention is to use this for simulation games such as Project Cars 2. But also interested in how it would perform with more modern games too. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Richard

Pretty old cpu (and maybe old/slow ddr3 ram as well?) but with a gtx1070 (what is your current gpu?) it should handle most modern VR games/sims, albeit with lower graphics settings on some of them imho.  If you have sufficient cooling you may be able to overclock your cpu to improve its performance.  

Quest Link generally works better with proper usb3 cables than the supplied usb2 charge cable imho.  I have a Quest with the Oculus Official Link cable and this works much better than the supplied usb2 cable (handles higher Link quality settings, less stuttering, and lower latency). 

I also us my Quest wireless with Virtual desktop and this works well for most (but not all. esp sims) VR games.  A bit more latency than Link but generally not too bad. Wireless w/VD works best with a good gpu so if you have a good internet setup (Ethernet cable from your router to PC) and strong (+800mbps) 5Ghz wifi.your gtx1070 should work pretty well.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Shii
Protege
For Link better to have latest generation of Nvidia gpu, at least 2060 since it has better video encoder and image quality when streaming will be better.
Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Shii said:

For Link better to have latest generation of Nvidia gpu, at least 2060 since it has better video encoder and image quality when streaming will be better.

Pretty sure that doesn’t make much difference.  I’m pretty sure that Link compression and decoding is more limited by the Quest’s processor.  An rtx2060 or 2060s would also be a good choice though.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Shii
Protege
It makes difference as Oculus claims. More details in this reddit thread and twitter replies: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/hobl1c/volga_aksoy_oculus_graphics_coder_message_to/

https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/1281332965075607552

Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
For sims I’d prefer the 1070 w/8Gb VRAM vs 2060 w/6Gb VRAM.  Advantages w/RTX for VR has been pretty disappointing imho.  Maybe this will improve with the nvidia 3000 series.  Time will tell I guess.  Until I see real user reviews I’ll just stick with my 3yo gtx1080ti.

richard_hoar
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Hi,

Any advice appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Richard

Pretty old cpu (and maybe old/slow ddr3 ram as well?) but with a gtx1070 (what is your current gpu?) it should handle most modern VR games/sims, albeit with lower graphics settings on some of them imho.  If you have sufficient cooling you may be able to overclock your cpu to improve its performance.  

Quest Link generally works better with proper usb3 cables than the supplied usb2 charge cable imho.  I have a Quest with the Oculus Official Link cable and this works much better than the supplied usb2 cable (handles higher Link quality settings, less stuttering, and lower latency). 

I also us my Quest wireless with Virtual desktop and this works well for most (but not all. esp sims) VR games.  A bit more latency than Link but generally not too bad. Wireless w/VD works best with a good gpu so if you have a good internet setup (Ethernet cable from your router to PC) and strong (+800mbps) 5Ghz wifi.your gtx1070 should work pretty well.

Thank you. Yes old cpu but still fairly quick. But my DDR3 RAM I'm sure it's under par...  Thanks for the information really useful and your experiences are too. I do have a dedicated USB3 cable from so fingers crossed ok. 

beattsabearcham
Explorer
what graphics card did you settle with in the end?