cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest and App Skybox. How to stream from Synology NAS possible. Maybe with DS Video?

tober1996
Explorer
How can I stream my movies from my Synology NAS to my Oculus Quest.
I don't want to copy the movies via USB to the Quest. 
2 REPLIES 2

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
Just install the media server app on the Synology and choose which folders to share. It publishes via DNLA on your network and Skybox can find it. Choose Network in Skybox and the Synology dnla server should show up. 

See:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/How_to_enjoy_multimedia_con...

Streaming from my Synology NAS works well. Is your NAS showing up in your PC's file explorer under Network? and have you copied all your movies into the video folder on the NAS?

I've created subfolders in my NAS video folder for movies, TV shows etc and then each movie is in it's own folder within the movie folder along with cover artwork etc but as long as your movies are in the video folder somewhere you should be good to go.

When you open Gallery you should see your choice or sources, which should be Connect Media, Internal Storage and DiskStation, so if you click on DiskStation you should then have a choice of Music, Photo and Video.

Unfortunately, although Gallery gives you options to sort the music and photo lists by artist, album etc, when I go into the video folder, there seems to be no options, just a display of all the movie folders so if you have a lot of movies, it takes a while to get to the one you want to see.

In Skybox, it's pretty much the same deal but it displays all the movies in a grid or larger list, plus there's a small scroll bar on the right to quickly move down the list.

Gallery seems to play my movies smoothly but Skybox has a very slight judder, only really noticeable on slow pans.