cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest won't stay turned off

RHunterr
Expert Protege
So I'm having intermittent charging issues like alot of other people.  Mine seems to charge better when it is turned off... however there's a switch in the Settings to "Turn on when detecting activity", so I switched that off. Then I just turn the headset off (via the "Power down" option on-screen) when I'm done and plug it in.

The problem is that the headset doesn't usually STAY turned off. I'll go look at it a bit later after turning it off and plugging it in and I"ll see that the front "on" indicator light is light up and the headset is on. (sometimes it's in passthrough mode, some times it's giving me a message about tracking, etc.)

So what do I have to do to get this thing to stay powered down when I power it down?
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine stays off as well. Yes, the battery meter displays when you connect the charger, but it doesn't turn on, and it's not in standby...wasting battery when it's put away in my drawer. At least that's 'my' experience with 'my' Quest.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should also mention that I use a battery pack with my Quest, and I physically have to turn the Quest on before connecting the battery, or else the Quest will not power up for me...it just loops and shuts off again. I hold the power button until the white light flickers slightly, then connect the battery. After which, I then use the power button and controller to shut it off again, before disconnecting the battery...but that's out of convenience, not a specific routine. I've never been able to shut it off just by holding the power button for a few seconds, even though I read that works as well, or at least with the Go.

grayhaze
Protege
Oculus support have told me it's a known issue and a future firmware update will fix it, but haven't given me any timescale. As others have said they don't have the problem with their device, I'm returning mine to Amazon to get a replacement. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.

enigma01
Trustee

grayhaze said:
As others have said they don't have the problem with their device, I'm returning mine to Amazon to get a replacement. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.

I’ve just been on vacation for a week without my Quest, fully charged it before I left. Powered the headset off and put lens protector in place and put it in its case. When I got back and powered it up, battery still 100% and played a few games for almost 2.5 hours.  

grayhaze
Protege

enigma01 said:

grayhaze said:
As others have said they don't have the problem with their device, I'm returning mine to Amazon to get a replacement. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.

I’ve just been on vacation for a week without my Quest, fully charged it before I left. Powered the headset off and put lens protector in place and put it in its case. When I got back and powered it up, battery still 100% and played a few games for almost 2.5 hours.  

Was it charging while you were away though? We're not saying the device turns itself on without the charger being plugged in. It's only when it's charging that it automatically powers up after a couple of minutes.

RHunterr
Expert Protege

enigma01 said:

grayhaze said:

Wait... you let it sit, powered down, off the charger, for seven days and it was still at 100% charge when you came back??? Mine averages about 5% it loses in charge just sitting on the stand, powered down, and off the charger.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm facing this issue with my wife's Quest. Mine is working fine. As others have mentioned, this has nothing to do with the Auto-Wake options, etc. Basically the Quest will turn itself on when it's completely powered down (pressing the Shut Down within VR, or long-pressing the power button) about 2 to 3 mins after it's been plugged in for charging.

Have done numerous tests, I can confirm that this only happens with my wife's Quest, mine stays powered down. Same firmware/OS version/etc.

grayhaze
Protege
My replacement device didn't have the issue, so I suggest anyone who is having this problem either return it for a replacement with the retailer if you're still inside the window to do so, or contact Oculus to get a replacement under warranty. While I don't doubt that they're investigating ways to fix the issue in the firmware, it's clear that certain hardware has a fault.

Anonymous
Not applicable

denodan said:

You can turn it right off. Have to hold down the start button for several secs and a menu will come up. With turn off listed. This turns off the headset completely.

That worked for me for a couple of weeks then it started turning itself on again.
I like to do guided Tai Chi in the morning but it keeps running itself flat when I put it away at night. I mean dead flat too, which is going to quickly ruin the battery and make the headset unusable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

grayhaze

Brain Burst

enigma01 said:

Was it charging while you were away though? We're not saying the device turns itself on without the charger being plugged in. It's only when it's charging that it automatically powers up after a couple of minutes.

Mine seems to turn itself on and run flat overnight when I put it away.
Not having problems with it charging.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?