cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrangerFX
Protege

Many users would like to use the Quest while in reclining in bed. This includes people who are bedridden or those that want to experience a deep dive like experience. It could also be that experiencing VR while reclining could reduce or eliminate motion sickness. The reason is that people don't experience motion sickness while they are dreaming.

7 Comments
Renamer
Honored Guest

Or just want to use Quest in a Recliner chair when your back is sore.

I thought there would be something like this already, atleast something wheelchair related and expanded upon.

WootM4ge
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

The stationary guardian feature is probably what you are looking for. The stationary mode allows for a smaller play area, but should be plenty if you are not moving much. There's a chance that when you are going up and down in your recliner or repositioning yourself in bed that you may move outside of your guardian, and that's when using the Roomscale might allow for a more uninterrupted experience. A simple outline of your recliner/bed should do the trick! The idea of using your Quest while laying down or reclined sounds pretty sweet to me, and I personally haven't had any issue doing so. It definitely takes some trial and error when setting up your guardian, but when you get it situated to your liking, its quite a comfortable experience  

Renamer
Honored Guest

Thanks for the response @WootM4ge.

I've actually now managed to turn off the Guardian and that really helps, but it is just half of the solution.

I still have the problem that - for most apps - when you recline or lie down you find yourself looking at the sky. 

The apps interpret the tilting back of the headset to be the user looking up, which is not surprising.  I think that a real solution would require a new mode.

GrangerFX
Protege

The easiest way to switch to reclining mode is if the Quest observes the user looking directly up for a few seconds (which is difficult and uncomfortable to do when seated or standing), an icon target appears directly above the viewer which allows them to switch to reclining mode if stared at for a second. In the same way when the viewer looks directly towards their feet in relining mode for a few seconds (also difficult and uncomfortable to do when reclining) they can switch back to seated/standing mode using the same icon stare. This would be consistent with the rest of the Quest UI.
(For clarity: The reason you want the mode switch to be difficult and uncomfortable to do normally in either mode is so that users do not trigger it by accident).

WootM4ge
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

@Renamer I see what you mean now, and I agree that it would be a very nice function to have added. However, something like this would have to be programmed into the Quest's software and into the game's software as well. Also, certain games probably just wouldn't be able to be played in this mode as they require a certain level of immersion and range of motion that can't be obtained while laying down or reclined. I'm having a hard time picturing myself playing a game like Asgard's Wrath or Half Life: Alyx while ling down or reclined due to the lack of mobility. There's a chance that a good sum of games could add this feature too, but it would be a lot more development and likely take away from the true immersion value of the game which I feel like game developers would likely pass on. But I do agree, having the option for this feature on some games would be quite nice! Playing Beat Saber or ForeVR Darts while lying down sounds pretty awesome to me! 

@GrangerFX This would be a great way to implement this feature! I completely agree, having this feature enabled by completing a stare activation would be a great way to have the feature easily accessible but not easy enough that you'll accidentally activate it! Having the option in the settings menu would not cause for ease of access when trying to go from a reclined to a seated or standing position, but your idea takes this into consideration very nicely! Great job working through how you would have this feature implemented! 

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide any update as to if or when this feature could be coming to the platform. However, the more eyes we get on this forum thread, the better chance we have of getting something in the works! Thanks for all your great ideas everyone! I would love to hear more! 🙂   

Renamer
Honored Guest

@WootM4ge Yes, I agree that it wouldn't be suitable for all games, but that is no different than the existing "Supported Player Modes" which includes modes like 'standing' and 'sitting' already.   They just need to add 'reclining'.

Some apps do support it already, eg. meditation apps, and it will be much easier for apps to support it once the OS adds a new mode.  That way, the OS can dictate conventions and do controller translation so that, for some apps, there would really be nothing left to do to achieve basic compatibility with reclining.